Thread: 1 gallon gas can recommendations. Using with a small, fill-in-place 2.5 HP outboard

Default 1 gallon gas can recommendations. Using with a small, fill-in-place 2.5 HP outboard

Any recommendations or warnings about 1 gallon gas cans? The one that came with my Yamaha 2.5 has a cracked lid and a very involved / over-complicated filling system. My older 2.5 HP Yamaha 4-stroke has no gage and needs to be filled while mounted in the well on Goblin, my CY.

Looking at the selection of small gas cans I see an amazing choice of designs, but really don't have much experience with these small cans as my previous outboards used an external tank.

This is the one that came with the outboard, listed on Amazon as "Midwest Can" -
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: 1 gallon gas can recommendations. Using with a small, fill-in-place 2.5 HP outbo

I rather like a plain tank and a syphon (pump bulb included, no sucking) hose. No spill and easy to see how you're doing.

Default Re: 1 gallon gas can recommendations. Using with a small, fill-in-place 2.5 HP outbo

you could probably keep the can you have and buy a replacement spout without all the added safety and venting complications..

sometimes they are listed as water jug spouts maybe out of liability concerns?
    if your can had the vent combined with the spout, you'll have to drill a new one, but the kits usually come with a press in vent cap

Holds about a liter, right? It's pretty easy to pour out of a small container, even in rough water, especially if you have a funnel. Just carry as many as you'll ever need.

Once the plastic cap has degraded enough to split the whole tank is a liability. I once had a 5 gallon tank split in the back of the truck on a bumpy logging road. That could have been a real problem.

These are aluminum, they'll outlast you, and they're not expensive.

https://adventuremotorcycle.com/gear...ary-fuel-tanks

Thanks for the responses so far. The Midwest Can has no separate vent. I have several of the old aluminum white-gas bottles from mountaineering in the 70's, and might consider using one as a backup fuel container for longer trips -- sort of an "emergency tank"...

The No-Spill looks interesting, but the Briggs & Stratton can has very poor reviews...

Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. The Midwest Can has no separate vent. I have several of the old aluminum white-gas bottles from mountaineering in the 70's, and might consider using one as a backup fuel container for longer trips -- sort of an "emergency tank"...

The No-Spill looks interesting, but the Briggs & Stratton can has very poor reviews...

Thorne, I have several of the No-Spill and I think they are great. Obviously the nozzle isn't very long so filling one's vehicle could be problematic. But filling a small outboard, chainsaw, etc is easy-peasy with one of these.

Jeff

Keep it simple. The more components the can has the sooner one will fail.

The one from Northern Tool is the superior can for mobile/rough service applications but comes with a price tag to match,but I'm a bit paranoid where gasoline storage in vehicles is concerned so cost is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post

I got a "No Spill" to use on my last outboard and like it. The outboard's long gone, but I still use the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Holds about a liter, right? It's pretty easy to pour out of a small container, even in rough water, especially if you have a funnel. Just carry as many as you'll ever need.

Once the plastic cap has degraded enough to split the whole tank is a liability. I once had a 5 gallon tank split in the back of the truck on a bumpy logging road. That could have been a real problem.

This is how I carry pre-mixed fuel for my 2-cycle outboard (a Seagull). It works great although it also requires a funnel.

Lake Norman,North Carolina and Cedarville, Michigan

There was a positive review of the "no spill"on Small Boats Monthly last month if you are interested.
    https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...-gasoline-can/

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Thorne, I have several of the No-Spill and I think they are great. Obviously the nozzle isn't very long so filling one's vehicle could be problematic. But filling a small outboard, chainsaw, etc is easy-peasy with one of these. Jeff
    A flexible spout extension is available for No-Spill spouts:

http://nospill.com/Products.html

Using the extension spout you have to be careful that you don't overfill because of gas in the spout beyond the shut-off valve -- don't fill right to the top before releasing the button.
    Last edited by Greg Nolan; 10-02-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks, everyone! I'll try the No-Spill and report here if I have any issues with the design.

these have long been popular w/ the ADV motorcycle riders

they can be carried in an agricultural equipment MANUAL CANISTER

fuel:tool tube.jpg

the canisters

67670.jpg

can be had @

https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-ca...large/p/67670/

for chump change

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

These are what I use. They can be held with one hand easily while refueling, and since I'm leaning over the side of the boat it makes things easy. My Honda holds a quart, so I have three one quart ones. I never worry about gas spilling. The only downside: If you need to go to a gas station, a pump is to big to direct fill. I haven't seen a good alternative, including the no-spill. Thos work great until the can has a bunch of air in it and then they dribble when you want a hard stop of gas. your mileage may vary.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

I just bought one of these for a trail bike. Should work on a boat.
    https://rotopax.com/1-gallon-gasolin...category_id=28

No Spill Brand gas can ::
    I am a huge fan and just bought my second can.
    Allows for precise one handed pouring ( 1.25gal size ) into chainsaws/weed-eaters/2hp honda OB, etc . It is truly a game changer.
    . . . .
    I am also a dedicated user of ezpourspout dot com products for all my older cans.
    The modern new fangled spouts with springs and valves my come from a place of regulatory good intention but I find them to be somewhere between unless <-> horrible.

This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce