Thread: color of west system catalyst

Default color of west system catalyst

Been doing some work with WEST epoxy and biaxial cloth. Using the slow catalyst, the color was coming out a kind of golden yellow. I switched to the fast harder, and it was much lighter, almost white. It doesn't affect the job, but I don't remember this happening before. Anyone else noticed a difference in color based on the harder used?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: color of west system catalyst

Yes, the hardeners turn a sort of purple as they age. I have had it with both 205 and 206. Not with 207 or 209.
    I don't know whats up with your hardener being white. WEST 105 turns white with a little water/moisture ...be sure its not water doing that .
    You know that WEST hardeners are water soluble, right? (its weird).
    Are the products kept at a good temp?

The resin isn't "white". The laminate was coming out a yellow color, and now it is whiter and lighter in color. Odd thing is that the resin was pretty much clear when the laminate was first saturated, but turned yellow after it was cured. Now it stays much closer the the color it was when the resin was first applied. Doesn't cause any problem, as in the end everything is going to be painted. It just seemed curious. I've gone through about two gallons before this happened.

West System hardeners are different colors; 205 is darker than 206 or 207 (haven't used 209.)
    BTW, the West System tech advisors, whom you can call during normal business hours, are very knowledgable and very agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by pvg View Post
    West System hardeners are different colors; 205 is darker than 206 or 207 (haven't used 209.)
    BTW, the West System tech advisors, whom you can call during normal business hours, are very knowledgable and very agreeable.
    The 205 came out lighter than 206--dunno why.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Cuz it's older.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Cuz it's older.
    Possible, but they both came from the same store, and the 205 was fresh from the store. A bit of research notes that the color has something to do with the cross-linked polymerization.

I find it interesting that I have experienced a similar thing with a different brand of epoxy, in my case Altex 421 that I have had for more than seven years. When I first used it the hardener was the colour of honey, yesterday when I used it, the hardener was the colour of tea without milk. In use it has had no effect on how well the epoxy goes off, the results are the same except the finished epoxy is a bit darker.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    The 205 came out lighter than 206--dunno why.
    I meant the color out of the can, not the final mixed/cured color...
    Sorry for the confusion...

207 hardener has always stayed yellow amberish for us.. talking years... 205 has always gone dark like old mahogany I think it's the air or rust of the containers getting old
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by pvg View Post
    It is the best tech line I've ever called.
    The same bunch of guys have been there for years.
    I gladly pay more for West.
    I have never had a problem with it.

I have about a gallon of WEST hardener that I bought in the late 1970's. It is as Denise030 said, 'gone dark like old mahogany". I don't use it for anything structural but it still works fine for coating, in fact it produces a very nice dark mahogany hue.

the color of the different curing agents very from batch and batch and they darken over time. I recently got a batch from the factory that had an odd yellow orange color - too odd for me to push out the door so selling it at a large discounted price

paul - progressive epoxy polymers, inc