Thread: tiller tamer on top or bottom

Default tiller tamer on top or bottom

I am tempted to go with bottom because there is not much room in the cockpit and I can rest my arm on the length of the tiller. 15- boat.

I can see that the ease of operation might want the tamer on the top but I just need the tiller held for a few minutes at a time.

Other pros and cons or am I overthinking this as much as I did the swim ladder.?

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: tiller tamer on top or bottom

Pretty much your own call on this one.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I am tempted to go with bottom because there is not much room in the cockpit and I can rest my arm on the length of the tiller.
    I also like to rest my forearm on the tiller so I put mine underneath. I copied the geometry of the tiller tamer and made one up from 3/16" shock cord and a piece of bronze stem band.

SELF-STEERING 1.jpgSELF-STEERING 2.jpg
    Last edited by darroch; 10-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.

I was researching tiller tamer threads and saw your pictures on another thread darroch, I am going to try to copy something similar to that set up. Thanks,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Is this to lock the tiller in one position or to dampen the movement?

a bit of both I suppose but mostly just to dampen it while bringing the sails up and down while floating out from the boat ramp.

For dampening, just run the shock cord around the tiller,one, two or three times. Tiller can still move .No need for a fitting.
    I like a shock cord damper AND a pin rail for a small boat.

I find my setup most useful working to windward - I can relax once I've set the sails and d/b - the boat heads up or falls off with the shifting wind.
    Reaching or running I like to hand steer anyway. If I need to grab something or use the bucket I just jam the tiller in my back.
    I do like the pin rail Bruce drew a few years back on another thread and I see its utility but I have a fear of getting "too cute" with the self-steering when I'm almost always alone and mostly on cold water.

Motoring along with my old Kutter.
    Black shock cord goes around a few times. Pinrail on this boat is just on the removable seat .Rope wrapped around the "pin" (screwdriver) is a sound dampener.

If you're still in planning stages, here's how I rig it--this system has the advantage of holding the tiller wherever it is, whenever you let go--but you can also steer normally with it at any time, with no need to engage or disengage the system.

1. Rig a line athwartships under the tiller, from gunwale to gunwale (I run mine between the horn cleats I use for docking). If you use small diameter line like I do, you'll want this line as tight as you can make it (i.e. use a quick-release tesion knot or modified trucker's hitch to really tighten it so it lies flat and very taut).

2. Take a bungee loop with a plastic ball and wrap it around BOTH the athwartships line AND the tiller itself. You'll want this as tight as possible, so wrap it around as many times as you can. Then finish by tucking the ball through the loop to hold it. This will pull the athwartships line up tightly against the underside of the tiller, which is what you want.

That's it. The friction of the line on the bungee will hold the tiller wherever it is, but you can still steer normally as well. Very slick, simple, and cheap. Here's how it looks in action:

Be aware the boat will not automatically head up if you let go!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Well, since we're showing home movies...
    The camera is in my right hand. The anemometer and gps are measuring knots. The tiller is in constant motion in an arc of maybe 1 or 2 degrees as far as I can tell. If nothing else it has taught me to let the sail breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZltPe1E_Is

Hey, nice boat! Looks familiar...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I've enjoyed watching you put your Alaska through her paces - you seem pleased with her.

I was wondering whether you ever disengage your self-steering setup or is it always on? I've had a couple of instances while reefing in large waves where I've had the boat turn the wrong way when the tiller was pinned over to one side. The tiller does, however, swing violently at times when left free so I put turks heads on the quarter bitts and tiller to dampen the impact. It only happens in a really sloppy chop.

Pleased? Oh, yeah. Love this boat.

I can easily disengage the tiller tamer by simply pulling the slipped hitch I use to tighten the athwartships line; but then I have to re-rig it all from the beginning because I can't get enough tension with the bungeee loop already in place. That's a bit of a pain, so I generally leave it in place for days at a time. I think if I used thicker line there'd be enough friction that I wouldn't need it so tight, so I may try that.

I have not seen any tendency for the boat to turn the wrong way with the tiller tamer in place--I push the tiller a bit to leeward (not all the way) to reef, drop the sail, and that's about it. If it does start to turn off the wind, I can reach back and move the tiller to control that. I don't worry about holding the boat absolutely head to windward, though. Just enough to be safe in the waves.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com