Thread: Free Avon Redcrest 8ft inflatable

Default Free Avon Redcrest 8ft inflatable

Collect from London SE23 or Woodbridge, Suffolk. Oars, no outboard bracket. Came with my boat but not needed and in the way. VGC. PM me!

Default Re: Free Avon Redcrest 8ft inflatable

You may want to review the FAQ, Forum Etiquette.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    You may want to review the FAQ, Forum Etiquette.
    To be fair, the FAQ doesn't mention anything about giving things away. He isn't selling anything.
    Tom

Which is exactly why I hope Dick will examine the matter for himself. I personally would not advertise a give-away whether pick-up or, as in this case, shipping collect. It's a step away from a swap shop and there are plenty of those. I recognize that one does not want to throw away something with some life left and that at the same time with no outboard these boats are not at all suitable for use in windy or open water conditions, making it a bit hard to give away. It's really a question of 'Is this a step towards what's clearly sale?' and, if so, a question of 'does Dick want to take that step?'

I'm not Scot so I've no authority. Perhaps Dick might just PM Scot asking if this is ok or should he pull it. Dick's and Scott's call.

Sorry if I transgressed. Maybe we need a Free Stuff department, seems like a good idea for a sailing community. It’ll be at the tip in a couple of weeks anyway, I need the space.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

I recognize that one does not want to throw away something with some life left and that at the same time with no outboard these boats are not at all suitable for use in windy or open water conditions, making it a bit hard to give away.
    The river Deben runs from Woodbridge to the sea – 9 miles long and one of the most beautiful estuaries on the East Coast. Plenty of people row inflatable dinghies such as the Avon Redcrest in England's river estuaries without outboards, quite safely, and in windy conditions too! Much of the sailing in England (as opposed to Scotland or Wales) is estuarine, with short coastal hops from one river to the next.
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Every boat is a good boat if it's used.

The Avon Redcrest is a great dinghy, and can be rowed. I have a lot of first had experience, well two hands.

Besides the were made in Wales.

Ian, you are being a little pedantic.

My Sunday sanctimony.

Knowing that they are made in Wales and are commonly rowed helps me get over it.

He could probably put it out by the road with a "free" sign and it would be gone within the hour. There's a lot of that here in the Gulf Islands. It's nice that he gives forumites first crack though.

My Sunday sanctimony.

Knowing that they are made in Wales and are commonly rowed helps me get over it.
    The name "Avon", which is the most popular river name in the world, is derived from the Welsh "afon", which sounds like "have on" with a silent "h".

Going sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The name "Avon", which is the most popular river name in the world, is derived from the Welsh "afon", which sounds like "have on" with a silent "h".

Going sailing.
    Are you Avoning us on?

There are many instances of things being given away on this forum. They include offers of helpful labor and advice.

Jeff

Dick Wynne has exceeded his message quota and needs to make space in his inbox...

Dear Dick,

Id be happy to collect from Woodbridge; 50 to a charity you choose to name (but Id suggest the Tally Ho Sinking Fund).

cheers

Andrew
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    “Dick Wynne has exceeded his message quota and needs to make space in his inbox...”

Dear Dick,

I’d be happy to collect from Woodbridge; 50 to a charity you choose to name (but I’d suggest the Tally Ho Sinking Fund).

cheers

Andrew
    Great, thanks Andrew, and yes a donation to Leo would be VG! Now to clear that inbox...Done

Avons are the best inflatable for a small yacht, particularly if you only want to row. They are of course pretty awful to row but not as bad as other brands with bigger tubes. And with no hard transom they pack a lot smaller and flatter to stow on deck or down below. We, my dad, had one for 30 years or so. It eventually got a bit too porous from dragging up gravelly beaches and life aboard in general. I was lucky enough to find him a used red start a few years ago, which is the smaller model.

Good on ya, Andrew! And a lucky score as well. I've had my Avon Redcrest for close to 30 years now and wouldn't part with it for all the tea in China. They don't make them like they used to. Don't drag it across the "car park" (as they say in GB) and wear holes in it and it will serve you well. The larger Redcrest isn't all that hard to "row." As with all inflatables, it takes a lot of short strokes rather than long ones to keep her moving, but the convenience of stowing it below and towing with practically no resistance make it a real top choice for a dinghy on any smaller cruising boat. (And I'd vote "no objection" to a freebie offer on the forum, too.)

I do have the outboard bracket and the stern seat for mine. I keep hoping for the day I find a short shaft Seagull Century at a garage sale! That combination is probably the all-time best!

I find the Seagull Forty Plus to be ideal for an Avon Redcrest.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Seagulls are ideal on an Avon. Occasionally a valve will let go, and if it happens to be the aft chamber, you will wake up to find your outboard 2 feet underwater. Happened to us in Fiji in 1974, about 1 month into a 6 month adventure. Not to worry, drain the carby, start her up, all good.

Andrew the dinghy has a pump, though I frequently inflated a previous identical one by mouth, having left the pump behind somewhere. Got some funny looks but it worked