Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

Default Re: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

Might need some help here.

The gooseneck orientation will probably be binding forcing the saddle against gaff once fully raised in what appears to be its former position, judging by the location of the previous bolster cut out.

Can I reverse the gooseneck ?. This would align properly and prevent the top of the saddle from being forced against the gaff spar.

Last edited by auscruisertom; 10-22-2019 at 08:28 PM.

Ok this may be a better picture with the gaff gooseneck reversed which will work former bolsters cut out clearly on wrong side of gaff boom.

The masking tape represents the solid core in the hollow light weight boom. I would prefer to locate the upper end of the strop in around the oldies boom area ,not sure if that will work when raising the peak?

Attachment 47111

Another angle with the gaff gooseneck reversed to its former position judging by old bolster cut out.
    Did I mention the gaff came of an inland swan river outa boat.

3C424DFA-19A7-4B4A-AB77-51214601A3A6.jpg

[QUOTE=auscruisertom;6010789]17F33233-5C7A-4ECF-A7A3-A6A9A84C95C7.jpg

Ok I think I answered my question and will be using the gaff as pictured above .In order to get everything operational I shaved the gaff boom which will hopefully mean the saddle will be seated and aligned properly on the spar. Then I used some silver ash to make two bolsters and glued them on .

Also came to the conclusion the bend in the bronze gooseneck May serve two purposes
    1-saddle aligned close to spar used for lacing the main sail.
    2-saddle further away additional space required for mast hoops.

Unfortunately I may have stuffed up when glueing these bolsters , since I followed the same line of the first bolster that was installed slightly of the centreline of the spar. What I should have done is installed the second bolster slightly of the opposite centre line . in order to distribute the stresses evenly.

Completed the lashings on my dead eyes,,and I am hoping they where done correctly since despite an overload. of info on lashings, there was nothing specifically directed at what I was doing. They worked out costing around $17 a piece, thanks to Miami Stainless supplying all the stainless for just over$18.
    EF2B46D7-14F2-4A02-B439-C9039781068B.jpg

They look good, well done! I was wondering if a radius on the edges of the holes in the wood would be beneficial.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    They look good, well done! I was wondering if a radius on the edges of the holes in the wood would be beneficial.
    Spot on Grant the Dyneema lashings will fare much better with some rounded holes.
    'I have located a chamfering tool at our local carpenters workshop and will round of those sharp edges.next week.

They look good Tom! Nice work! I have a question though - why do you need the block of wood? Why can't you just have another thimble at that end of the loop? Is it the traditional look or is there another reason?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    They look good Tom! Nice work! I have a question though - why do you need the block of wood? Why can't you just have another thimble at that end of the loop? Is it the traditional look or is there another reason?

Rick
    As with many systems on my new rig I am merging old and new.
    I will be installing new stainless chain plates which will coordinate nicely with the stainless thimble ,then you have the visual separation of the black lashing between the thimble and deadeye .
    Continuing upwards embracing tradition with two dead eyes and black Dyneema lashing.

By mixing modern and traditional materials my aim is to improve WB gaff rig while not loosing any of her proven competitive advantage.

Stopping in at Miami Stainless I found another neat simple and cheap solution for deadeye rigging. These rings could be attached to the chain plates and then lashed to the dead eyes.
    They could also be useful for other rigging solutions.

In my opinion the rings would look more traditional and less obtrusive than the more industrial and modern look of thimbles.

10386B50-C9C5-410B-A8C6-C7BBBB440BBD.jpg
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-04-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Here are two blocks with history.
    Joined together and adapted for the movie set Pirates of the Caribbean ,probably also explains the pilot holes. After that they went through the Tweed River flood with mud still visible inside.

Attachment 47678

No I couldn’t fit another clamp. This original prototype was to be scraped but while making another I ran out of time at the Carpenter workshop.

B7D95786-E293-4CF4-AD20-3D5EE71D6B70.jpg
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-08-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Thems aint Pilot Holes. Thems Pirate Holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Thems aint Pilot Holes. Thems Pirate Holes.
    Arghh with finely honed cutlasses

0EE30973-5285-486D-B0A4-F9CBF735A637.jpg

And no I couldn’t fit another clamp ,the mast collar that will support the sliding boom.

Fitted the rebated mast band which will be used for the staysail attachment and the crane for my throat halyard.

As is often the case I am not entirely happy with the outcome ,I probably should have avoided using stainless since it is not easy to work with ,and I do have concerns of possible stress cracking along the lines it was bent on.

AB8F92B4-0654-4229-B580-95BB60F33934.jpg

Funny how those really hard jobs are always left to the very last ,pulled two of WB chain plates yesterday . The job took about three hours and I was lucky being able to use around 4 “ of turnbuckle adjustment to assist with the pulling, and after a few hundred hits driving them upwards with a small mallet .
    I had an idea they where getting past their used by date but frankly the constant rust streaks where driving me nuts

This morning I drilled the new stainless straps ordered the coach bolts and finished squaring of the holes on one strap with a file, even managed to finish several silver ash cleats which will be used for reefing on the boom.

A022DAB9-82A4-4C1C-A7A7-FC7212FF48EA.jpg