Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

Default Re: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

Tom, would it be worth hiring a rigger for a few hours to look at the gear you have and your plans, and advise on steps forward? I mean, given that JB's way over there . . .

Rick

Thanks John your input is truely appreciated.
    Anyhow I am slowly getting my head around the whole gaff rig concept and also finding some relevant information on the net and forum ,including some of your old posts.

Rick good point , however this is the Goldie and I have yet to find anyone that has solid theoretical and practical gaff rig knowledge. This whole exercise would be much easier if I was living in Sorrento where gaff rigged Couta boats abound, and finding a knowledgeable rigger or mentor would be easy.

Just had a look at my available blocks. I am thinking the two Teflon blocks will be used for the throat halyard.?

[IMG]where is the closest shell station to my location[/IMG]

Tom, if you can, get Tom Cunliffe's Hand, Reef and Steer and read the whole thing a couple of times. It's *much* better than the John Leather book in explaining all the rigging, how to set it up and why, and how to use it all. It's a very good primer. I can't loan you mine because I refer back to it all the time.

The throat halyard crane (or whatever you end up with) attachment point, the throat halyard itself, its attachment on the gaff, and the luff of the mains'l should all be on the same vertical line. If you're designing these things from scratch then aim for that. This means you can peak the gaff without altering luff tension, and it also behaves better on a run, as John said.

I have the throat and peak halyards with the same 4:1 advantage, so I can hoist the two together and the gaff goes up roughly horizontal. Temporarily cleat the peak halyard, get the last bit of strain on the throat halyard and cleat it off then finally hoist the peak to its working position.

Real good Matt on the Hand Reef And Steer book although I am managing to find a lot of that information on line.

Below are the three blocks that came with the mast. The two smaller double becket blocks is probably what I require for the throat and the peak halyards ,and then I will just make a another becket block for the throat halyard.

Then build one more becket block for the peak which will have an additional sheave for hooking up to the gaff bridle coupled to one of the double becket blocks and using one of the spare wooden blocks

The large double becket block may be for the main sheet system in which case it is optional asI will be using my present main sheet set up.

7FAC1B08-AB5F-4A01-8671-6AA9F68A8D78.jpg

Apparently having problems with my imagery.

I like Tufnol blocks. They're very strong and I reckon they look great on traditional boats.

Rick

Tom, the throat block doesn't need to swivel, this stops the halyard from twisting. Similarly with the peak span blocks .
    I like the look of tufnol too !
    What sort of saddle/ tumbler have you got for the gaff.

[QUOTE=Neil C;5911582]Tom, the throat block doesn't need to swivel, this stops the halyard from twisting. Similarly with the peak span blocks .
    I like the look of tufnol too !

Oh boy does that mean I should not use these two blocks?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just retrieved the original rigging notes and plans for WB posted above.

Interesting to note my accumulated ideas on on a double and single becket block for the throat where similar ,as two doubles one at the masthead another traveling along the bridle with a single for the Peak.

Question is would what I perceive as 3 to 1 purchase be enough grunt for the throat halyard and for a 4’ longer Gaff with some additional sail area ?

What say yea experts?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]Another angle of WB under her old rig.
    Hmm that does not look like a double and two singles on the peak.

This morning I am taking stock and attempting to make sense of what needs to be done in order to create a fully functional Gaff rig for Wee Barkie.
    Below in the middle is Couta Boat Wanda Gs gaff which measures 18 x3.5 which will become my new boom.I hate the idea of shortening it to WB required 16 boom length ,or perhaps leave it as is at this time.?

Then I have a choice of two gaffs both of which are 143 or 4.3m
    I am inclined to choose the lighter hollow core one on the right with the beautifully constructed leather saddle.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ian I am planning to use the lighter hollow gaff on the right.

Definitely a good idea to have the same purchase on the throat and the peak. Haul them both up together with the gaff horizontal. Make the throat fast then top up the peak. Oh and lazyjacks. Of course.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

[IMG][/IMG]

Hmm that does not look like a double and two singles on the peak.
    No. Looks like all singles up there, with the halyard terminating at the gaff giving you 3:1, which is what you said you have for the throat halyard. It'll be a bit heavy. You'll have mast winches though, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    No. Looks like all singles up there, with the halyard terminating at the gaff giving you 3:1, which is what you said you have for the throat halyard. It'll be a bit heavy. You'll have mast winches though, yes?
    I was planning to use two winches then again the more I read not so sure now.

Since you are running 4 to 1 on your mainsail gaff aboard Pixie I may just have to go with that.

Phil point take on keeping purchase ratio the same for throat and peak halyards.

If I recall correctly my dad's boat, 23 foot gaffer, solid Oregon gaff, had 2-1 halliards and no winches.

Matt do you have a picture of your Peak halyard arrangement?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 06-11-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Doubled up

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    If I recall correctly my dad's boat, 23 foot gaffer, solid Oregon gaff, had 2-1 halliards and no winches.
    Did that have anything ro do with the old saying when men where men.

E45DC3EB-A41B-4833-B444-2C0558D5C0F0.jpg

WB original rig which incidentally is back in the running was 236 sq foot, while the recently detailed high peak rig would probably add another 40sq ft onto that.

This morning I shaped a few dead eyes out of some New Guinea Rosewood, which will have a 8 mm router grove on the outside for the Dyneema splice.

Traditional round dead eyes had three holes for the lashing while some similar designs in cast bronze have five. What is the reason for the additional lashings.?

I would prefer to go with three larger holes looking from a structural point of view.

Does that sound right?

Original rig back in the running meaning you might stick with the rig as designed? In that case I'm putting in a vote for the original. Looks better, and keeping the lower aspect will be nicer for cruising.

When men were men? No, it was just all that was required. You don't want longer halliards than you need, too much work.

4:1 (Pixie) is easy.

I think 3:1 would be fine too, the more I think about it. I'd say try it and see. A winch might be nice for getting the luff nice and tight, but there are other ways.

I'll look for pictures of Pixie's arrangement.

When men were men? No, it was just all that was required. You don't want longer halliards than you need, too much work.
    Pixie's only little, and the pair of 4:1 halyards does leave a big pile of line to coil down after a hoist. I can't imagine what a 5:1 hoist on a big gaffer is like!

Do without winches if you can. You want a classic rig, don't you?

At 3:1 you'll be able to swig up the main luff pretty tight. For headsails use a double ended halyard with one end on a 5:1. Goodbye winches!

Pixie's peak halyard is almost the same as Wee Barkie's original one.

Where the halyard ends at the gaff on WB, on Pixie it turns and goes to a becket on the same block it just came from on Pixie's mast. That block is behind the inner forestay.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Original rig back in the running meaning you might stick with the rig as designed? In that case I'm putting in a vote for the original. Looks better, and keeping the lower aspect will be nicer for cruising.
    I appreciate your input thanks Geoff .And yes the low aspect does help when the wind pipes up..
    We might just have to start counting votes on which rig to choose.

Submitted the two different sail plans to Evolution yesterday, will sees what the quotes come back as.

Also spoke to WB builder Bruce McKay today regarding her previous Gaff rig .

Bruce indicated the 3 to 1 Gaff purchase worked well with the halyards led aft.
    Bruce just turned 90 and remembers WB fondly ,he still travels and and manages to get out on the Burnett river in his steam launch occasionally.

Traditional round dead eyes had three holes for the lashing while some similar designs in cast bronze have five. What is the reason for the additional lashings.?
    I wonder if the extra holes were just to make them lighter in weight.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I wonder if the extra holes were just to make them lighter in weight.
    More likely to achieve more purchase would be my guess.

I received a gaff rig (jib, staysail, main) sail price, came in at about 10k I replied and asked if they can design, cut and sew all the main seams and I hem the edges install clews reef points etc and they were accomodating. Came with a plan and extra sail cloth and the price went down to 5ish k. If your interested I can pm you there details

Thanks Steve but either I’ll have a new main sail made or end up getting an existing main sail cut down.

Although if you can recommend a really good Gaff rig sailmaker that might be helpful.

I know Doyle sails in Melbourne have made a LOT of Couta Boat sails. They made Janes which is the motor sailor that Tim built ten or so years ago. I'm scared to get a price off them though.
    Last edited by Geftb; 06-13-2019 at 05:19 AM.

I got my sails from Lee Sails in Hong Kong. Even after paying import duty and GST they were still a lot cheaper than the local guys. The sails are very well made and set beautifully. All triple stitched, leathered, and arrived pre rigged as much as they could. If you want to check them out, send them an email with a copy of your sail plan.

Better be quick though.

Most Australian sailmakers have the sails made OS
    now anyway and only do final adjustments etc. locally.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Most Australian sailmakers have the sails made OS
    now anyway and only do final adjustments etc. locally.

Rick
    Sad, Another dying art. Where are the new breed of sailmakers going to come from?
    I dont mind spending extra to get locally made. If I can find them.

Tom, have you spoken with Gary Saxby in Brisbane?

Better be quick though.

I hear what your saying so I send the specs of last night.

This morning I struggled to learn using a lathe at the local carpenters workshop, hopefully there will be some belaying pins produced next week.

Matt I shall give Gary Saxby a call. Did Gary provide your mainsail also what is the size of your mainsail.