Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 78

Thread: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

Default Re: A New Gaff Rig for Wee Barkie

I wasn't expecting such a loud response!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Boom boom.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Booms on the brain , of three gaffs I have the large measuring 5.4 m will become the boom , boom no 2 at 4.5 m is a spare gaff come spinnaker pole or a Mizzen if I can fit that somehow ,and the lightweight hollow core gaff will continue to perform unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I agree ,an even purchase on both halyards is important for smoothness.
    I think 2 to 1 with a burton on the peak hlyd would be fastest and most powerful. That's all I have on Woodwind. 2/1 with 4/1 burtons giving me 8/1 to finish up.
    I have the same thing on my jib hlyd.
    Too much rope all over the place will only lead to trouble.
    SBR, I think there must be something screwy on Blowfish if the throat is harder to lift than the peak.
    Once the throat is tied off, it should not need adjustment, whereas the peak is constantly getting tweaked, both for point of sail and wind strength.
    Thanks Bruce I understand the even purchase also good to know you have yours rigged 2/1 if I go that way could always just install a couple of small winches on the mast which I have .
    Do you use the same burton for peak and jib halyards and how do you stow them ?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

No, they are permanently hooked up. Both ends of the hlyd come down. One end is conventional to the sweat hook/pinrail. The other end comes to a double block that "floats" about 8 feet up in the shrouds. A single block with becket is tied to the pinrail.

Here you see it. Am I calling it the wrong thing, Burton?
    Halyard ends pre tied off to the upper board, which also holds green light and is the lowest ratlin. No need to un tie those ends . This also saves on hlyd length which decreases the spaghetti on deck. When coiled up, my throat hlyd is only about 25 feet long.
    I can't tell you how many people begin to un tie those hlyd ends before they begin to pull up the sail.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 07-17-2019 at 08:26 AM.

I wanna show you some of the simple things and simple ways I have Woodwind rigged. It may give you an idea of how simple one can go.
    From the above pic you can see how simply my gaff and boom jaws are made,fer instance.
    But look at what does NOT exist...gooseneck, vang,mast hoops/parrel beads,"car" in the gaff jaws, pretty much any metal fitting.The gaff jaws themselves are only glued and seized on with nylon. I broke many gaff jaws on several boats due to them being hard bolted.
    So, here are smore pics of bits...

My conglomeration of topping lift ends, block lanyards ,hlyd ends ,etc. One can just tie the effin things around the spar.

When you have wire shrouds /soft eyes(they ain't soft), be careful of them crushing the wood underneath AND of crushing each other . The wire on the bottom can easily be damaged. Hard rubber chunks do a good job, and the tend to stay put.

This is my staysl hlyd block... no fitting, no tang.

Don't forget sweat hooks/sway hooks. This is from my little boat(24'). Just a bronze chock cut in half. Tieing directly to the pinrail will fatigue the wire

Spot on Bruce definition of a “Burton “ is a light tackle having double or single blocks used to hoist or tighten rigging, I had to look that one up myself.

Really appreciate those picture advice and hints I also had some additional questions in post 243 regarding throat halyard clearance if you can find a moment. Cheers Tom

Check.
    Having a fixed gooseneck on a gaffer is what leads to this problem of the throat hlyd , thus the sail luff, tightening up as the gaff twists off,which is of course the opposite of what one wants when cracking off. A boom jaw will simply ride up a bit. From the pic in #186, it looks like WB will have a boom jaw, so, I think you are good to go.
    Try the boat with no luff tensioner /downhaul thingy, let the boom float. With good main sheet geometry,the boom jaw will not ride up when sheeted in hard. If you need something there, well, then add it later. Many gaffers have strings they do not need.
    Chances are the 8 inches you have there will be fine. We do not know fer sher how any of this stuff is going to work until we work it.

I've been gone from this thread most of the winter and spring being in Carriacou , having to go ashore to get good internet and working on a friends rig.But I'm back home now.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 07-17-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Do you need this Burton thing? It's only a 23 footer. On dad's boat we'd just haul the gaff up. Sweat the halyard to raise the boom jaws just off the mast collar. Then raise the peak. Even when she had heavy canvas sails treated with ochre and beeswax it just wasn't that heavy.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Maybe not. But putting a 3/1 or 4/1 purchase on the hlyds is overkill and a lotta line.
    Wee barkie is heavy boat for her size, I understand the conditions there can be serious...and nobodys gettin any younger.
    Or a wee baby winch of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    SBR, I think there must be something screwy on Blowfish if the throat is harder to lift than the peak.
    Yep, maybe she is secretly a Screwfish. Both halyards go pretty easily until the last little bit which is also when the boom is getting lifted off the collar. At that point I have to sweat the throat halyard to get the boom well clear of the collar and high enough not to knock my brains out during gybes. I'll take a closer look on my next cruise, maybe there is some friction somewhere. Can't be too hard to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Yep, maybe she is secretly a Screwfish. Both halyards go pretty easily until the last little bit which is also when the boom is getting lifted off the collar. At that point I have to sweat the throat halyard to get the boom well clear of the collar and high enough not to knock my brains out during gybes. I'll take a closer look on my next cruise, maybe there is some friction somewhere. Can't be too hard to track down.
    Do you use lanolin or a similar lubricant on yer gaff saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Geoff your one up on me only ever had one sail on a Gaffer.
    Actually I did once sail on the Leeuwin (sail training ship out of Fremantle), but can't really count that since apart from helping raise the spanker (kinky name for a sail), all I did was spectate and gaze in awe at the rig on this actual real life sailing ship... worth every cent to get aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Do you use lanolin or a similar lubricant on yer gaff saddle.
    Ha ha, we're still talking about boats right? Yes the gaff has jaws and the flippy floppy bit, both of which are leathered and treated with snow seal.

[QUOTE=wizbang 13;5939361]Check

Chances are the 8 inches you have there will be fine.

I would be surprised if it wasn’t.

Anyhow I will pick up some additional length by going 2 to 1 with a shorter block on the throat ..

Phil quite right also as I have now have a surplus of blocks I’ve decided to use one on the peak for fine tuning

Spoke to Marcus on his Ranger 26 Sister ship to the well known Maluka of Kermandie which has a gaff rigged Sail plan almost identical to what I am hoping to achieve and apparently the Rangers have small winches that are rarely used.
    Maluka Below.

[IMG]where is the nearest gas station to me[/IMG]

[QUOTE=John B;5908813]
    The throat halyard likes to have more distance between the gaff and the crane to facilitate the articulation of the gaff from right out one side to the other. If that distance is too short then it effectively tightens the luff as the sail sets out to a run position. But again , you have what you have so just do it.[/QUOTE

I found regular reviews of this thread to be very helpful as the very important throat halyard clearance versus tightening of the luff .

Looks like I will have to re locate the crane ,and just to add to my workload will also have to manufacture a set of spreaders and fittings since I will be using a kite.

My reason is the Rangers use a rig very similar to the Couta boats with added spreaders because of the additional forces created by the use of flying a spinnaker.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 07-20-2019 at 05:18 PM.

[IMG]pnc branch locations near me[/IMG]Definitely not happy with this outcome.

The welder besides doing a crap job and taking forever must have decided to not follow my layout, and consequently I did not pick up the problem until today’s assembly . Had I known it would have been possible to eliminate two pins and not have them centred.

After way too much back and forth combined with some design changes the new Gaff main is finally being cut and assembled next week.
    Happy with the price from Evolution Sails that ended up coming in well below the Brisbane quote.