Thread: TotalBoat Wet Edge dry tmes

Default TotalBoat Wet Edge dry tmes

Painting my first boat with roll and tip method. Used TotalBoat Wet Edge thinned 10%. Dry time was listed as 8-16h at 90 and 50 degrees respectively, 20% humidity. I am currently over 24h and everything is still tacky. Its been in the upper 70s today and humidity almost 80%. Its a bit humid, but the specs just said to keep it under 90% humidity. Is this normal? Do I just need to wait longer?

Default Re: TotalBoat Wet Edge dry tmes

Yes. Thin coats are key. What did you use as a primer?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

How long had any epoxy under it cured?
    Are you up to speed on amine blush?
    and yes...what is the primer situation?
    Did you use proprietary thinner?
    bruce

Yes, give it another 24 hours, it should harden up.
    If this is the first of several coats, sometimes I will apply another coat while the first is somewhat soft, and it will chemically bond and harden.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    How long had any epoxy under it cured?
    Are you up to speed on amine blush?
    and yes...what is the primer situation?
    Did you use proprietary thinner?
    bruce
    Last coat of epoxy was probably 3 weeks ago. Supposed to be non-blushing resin, but still cleaned properly. Followed by TotalBoat 2-part epoxy primer that set without issue. Last coat of primer was about 1 week ago. Sanded down 220. Cleansed with TotalBoat brush thinner. Thinned paint 10% with totalBoat brush thinner. Applied paint, although definitely went a little heavier than I should have.

"Bright Star's" Sprayed epoxy topsides have lasted close to twenty years with only an occasional touch up for scuffs and scrapes.
    We used to paint topsides every season when we were using oil based enamel. The one nice thing about oil based paint is that it always was dry enough for a launch or second coat the following morning. That is roughly 18hrs drying time. All in all the sprayed epoxy enamel is much cheaper, in the long run, as it saves laydays material and labor. Even though the initial cost of such a job is a bit spendy it makes hauilouts less expensive in the long run.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    "Bright Star's" Sprayed epoxy topsides have lasted close to twenty years with only an occasional touch up for scuffs and scrapes.
    We used to paint topsides every season when we were using oil based enamel. The one nice thing about oil based paint is that it always was dry enough for a launch or second coat the following morning. That is roughly 18hrs drying time. All in all the sprayed epoxy enamel is much cheaper, in the long run, as it saves laydays material and labor. Even though the initial cost of such a job is a bit spendy it makes hauilouts less expensive in the long run.
    Jay
    Right... but I am an amateur building a little skiff for my kids, working out of a small garage without access to spray equipment. A can of paint off the shelf for $40 and a roller makes a little more sense for this project.

By all means use what is practical for you!
    Jay

Did you perhaps call the Jamestown tech help guys? Sounds like you've done your part right. If it hasn't set up by now I'd certainly be asking questions...and they need to know about it if there's an issue.

We have found sticky Florida (Pensacola) makes for sticky paint, especially when dewpoint is high. I believe you just got several waves of tropical moisture down there. I haven't ad any small jobs take longer than 4-5 days before I could start using them on our dollies.
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

Thanks for the advice everyone. It dried in about 3 days. Jamestown guys were very helpful and suspected I put on the paint too thick. I am sure they were right, because I had a number of runs and brush strokes. I ended up sanding everything off and am going to try again.

We (I) put the coats on too thick. Skipper on the other hand, is a great painter. I did have a mismatch, my fault, on some WetEdge over a different brand thinner. It curdled like cottage cheese. So now I stick to same brands of thinner, primer and paint. I usually pick the color paint I want and work backwards from there.

Can't wait to see some pictures of your project!
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

. I ended up sanding everything off and am going to try again.
    you what ?