Thread: Clamps

Question Clamps

Yes acknowledged you can never have too many clamps.

What type of clamps (timber or otherwise) do you have and/or recommend for boatbuilding on a budget?

Do you have suggested plans for the homemade ones?

I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Default Re: Clamps

Spreader bars...3 bolts, threaded rod, conduit bar and a washer. Tighten the nut against the washer which in turn pushes both wood blocks against their planks

I've acquired almost all of my clamps cheaply at yard sales.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

me too, long slow process.

So how many do you have now?
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Bars, pipes, "G"s, deep reach, spring... shop collection ,boat collection...about a hundred.
    All my G clamps over 6" are on loan to Leo for Tally Ho.

What type of boat building do you have in mind? Carvel and lapstrake need different types of clamps.

For lapstrake

And for carvel there is a planking clamp (can't find a pic) with two screws that clamp at 90° to each other. One screw acts like a "C" clamp and clamps around the rib/frame and the other screw acts as a 'pusher' to edge set the plank tight against its neighbor.

As said, can never have too many.

It depends
    - on what kind of boat you're building.
    - on what clamps you can scrounge from others. I often borrow or lend clamps.
    - on whether it's a one-time-only thing or volume production. Here are some shop-made lapstrake clamps.

It depends
    - on what kind of boat you're building.
    - on what clamps you can scrounge from others. I often borrow or lend clamps.
    - on whether it's a one-time-only thing or volume production. Here are some shop-made lapstrake clamps.

I've done a lot with Harbor Freight ratchet straps and strategically placed clamp blocks, too. Good things to have around the shop. I'll dig around and try to find some pics.

These clamps are for iceboat plank glue-ups.

55E42DAF-344B-432F-A848-9A31FDF317DB.jpg

Surprised no one mentioned homemade pvc clamps. I have buckets of these in 3 and 4 inch diameter. Just the right amount of clamping pressure when using epoxy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXVYW5vrbAY

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    What type of boat building do you have in mind? Carvel and lapstrake need different types of clamps.

And for carvel there is a planking clamp (can't find a pic) with two screws that clamp at 90° to each other. One screw acts like a "C" clamp and clamps around the rib/frame and the other screw acts as a 'pusher' to edge set the plank tight against its neighbor.
    Could be a Conant clamp? $50-85
    Found them here http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...lanking-Clamps Where else?
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

There's rubber strip cut from truck inner tubes - can be wound around laminates to get amazing clamping pressure from multiple windings of even very thin strips.Same strips can create 'springs' for wooden jaws, in the way of makeshift long C clamps.Winding of rubber strip in conjunction with wedges can make clamps with long reach very quickly, from lengths of 1"x1" or 1'x2".
    Glue smears are inconsequential in that the strips pull away easily when the job has set, and can be reused, if not replaced.Main downside is the less than pretty black marking, which is planed or sanded off anyway.

OK.
    It seems that for every oddball clamping problem in boatbuilding there are:
    - Shop-made solutions involving threaded rod, wedges, PVC pipe, sash weights or rubber bands.
    - Clever ways to use common clamps.
    - Fancy specialized clamps that the retired bankers amount us will find reasonable.
    Who’s gonna write the book?

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    OK.
    It seems that for every oddball clamping problem in boatbuilding there are:
    - Shop-made solutions involving threaded rod, wedges, PVC pipe, sash weights or rubber bands.
    - Clever ways to use common clamps.
    - Fancy specialized clamps that the retired bankers amount us will find reasonable.
    Who’s gonna write the book?
    Our hosts have a few chapters covering most if not all of these in their volume of collected articles, "Planking and Fastening."

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Could be a Conant clamp? $50-85
    Found them here http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...lanking-Clamps Where else?
    the business was being run by a grandson, who made a least one batch of clamps and was selling them online at https://www.conantclamps.com/products the webpage lists a note that production would be restarted in early to mid-2018, but it hasn't been updated since then and product has been out of stock since before then on the website.

for lapstrake I made some to the design in the Joh Leather book - two 11" * 2.5" or so pieces of hardwood, with a carriage bolt a little over half way down to keep them together and a hardwood wedge to clamp.

These are handy for light clamping pressure and one handed operation,they're also inexpensive.

Opera Snapshot_2019-10-12_102406_www.amazon.ca (450x293).jpg