Thread: Portable A/C unit

Default Portable A/C unit

Looking to buy a small, portable A/C unit for a bedroom. All of the ones I've checked out online require a window vent. The units come with a window "attachment", but the specs say this is NOT for use with casement windows. Guess what kind of windows my entire home has!!!! Yep- casements. Does anyone know of a unit that can be used with casements, or better yet, does not need a window vent at all? Thanks

Default Re: Portable A/C unit

The thing with A/C is that the heat has to go somewhere. Portable units blow it out a window. You could probably make a "plug" for the window that the hose could attach to. Its not necessary to have an airtight fit.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

you could remove the casement window and after mounting the unit, block in the unused areas with plywood. or Plexiglas

I have an 8000btu El Cheapo Ocean Breaze Portable. It is the type of unit you see sold in as a seasonal item at the checkout isles of a grocery store. I use it in a small cabin with casement windows and the window inserts provided. The tube is fat so you may need to make a spacer for the edge of the insert that goes up the side of the window and perhaps at the bottom. The spec that says "this is NOT for use with casement windows" is for those who are confounded by statements such as "some assembly required" or "caution left-handed threads."
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    The thing with A/C is that the heat has to go somewhere. Portable units blow it out a window. You could probably make a "plug" for the window that the hose could attach to. Its not necessary to have an airtight fit.
    I agree completely that the hot air must go somewhere- why not into the cold air return? The warm air that is naturally in the room would eventually go there anyway- good/bad idea??????

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    I agree completely that the hot air must go somewhere- why not into the cold air return? The warm air that is naturally in the room would eventually go there anyway- good/bad idea??????
    Bad idea, heat must be pumped out of the house. You are suggesting just blowing the heat around the room. Because of the heat generated by the air conditioners motor and the overall inefficiency of the AC the net result will be a hotter room.
    Steamboat

I have been thinking about getting a portable AC for my boat.

Here's a good read about these A/C units:

http://homeenergypros.lbl.gov/profil...r-conditioners

Some things I've learned are that two hose portables work better than one. And the article points out why window mount A/C units are more efficient than even the two hose portables.
    Will

Thanks guys- guess there's not one in my future!

There are freestanding air conditioners that vent through a corrugated tube, attached to a through-wall fitting similar to those used to vent clothes dryers. I've seen them in older boutique hotels where a window-mounted unit would clash with the scheme. No information, but you could search portable freestanding air conditioner.

I just did— this is the sort of thing I recall:

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    There are freestanding air conditioners that vent through a corrugated tube, attached to a through-wall fitting similar to those used to vent clothes dryers. I've seen them in older boutique hotels where a window-mounted unit would clash with the scheme. No information, but you could search portable freestanding air conditioner.

I just did— this is the sort of thing I recall:
    Chip-skiff, this is the type of air-conditioner we have been discussing.
    Steamboat

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Ive seen some where the homeowner actually disconnected the in-floor hot air vent, and vented the hot air from the av unit into the crawl space.

Just get the hot air out of the house. It doesn't matter how.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Ive seen some where the homeowner actually disconnected the in-floor hot air vent, and vented the hot air from the av unit into the crawl space..
    I'd be careful of this approach. These AC units blow the hot air across the collected condensate so it goes out the air exhaust tube with the hot air. In my house it would condense in the crawl space and the extra moisture would not help with any moisture issues.
    Steamboat

The best air conditioner I ever saw serviced the clockmaker's shop at Mystic Seaport. A long conduit of some sort was run underground from the shop out to the wharf, below water level, and back into the shop. An inline fan circulated the air and it was downright cold in there even though it was scorching outside, which probably explained the overwhelming interest in clock making that day.

This makes me think of heat pumps, which run in reverse are cooling pumps.

If it got hot enough where I live (Gulf Islands, BC) to be worth the trouble I would consider recirculating cold water from our drilled well through a radiator with a fan behind it to cool the house. People with waterfront properties and those who live on boats could do this sort of thing quite easily.

Water is a really good medium for carrying away the rejected heat. I think most marine A/C units work that way.

I know of people who have put the outside unit of their central A/C in a cave next to the house where it is roughly 56 degrees year around. That is another excellent medium for carrying away waste heat.

I would vote no for directing the outside flow into the crawl space due to the moisture issues.
    Will

A piece of lexan is your friend.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have one of these which are for server racks. We use it about 8 days a year and the rest of the time it is wheeled into a closet. We only try to keep one room livable, about 400 sg ft.
    The house has slider windows which are problematic the unit comes with a simple adjustable panel with a hole to accept the vent and it stows with the unit in an adjacent clothes closet.
    They are noisy, but I can tolerate that when it is pushing 100.

you could remove the casement window and after mounting the unit, block in the unused areas with plywood. or Plexiglas
    This is exactly what I did in a place I once lived. Takes about three minutes to remove a casement window.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I've done fenestration (industry insider term for windows and doors) design work starting with a clean sheet of paper (or a blank CAD screen). Were it me wanting to install a conventional AC unit in a casement window, I'd disassemble the operating sash and set it aside for later use, install the AC on the window sill, and then temporarily install a fixed sash in the open space remaining above the AC cabinet. You might then remove both kthe fixed window and AC after the season and install your operating casement sash. Many of your local window companies make their own custom-sized windows starting with stock PVC extrusion. These windows usually incorporate the latest technology for insulating glass. A plain fixed window sash made to your measurements complete with insulating glass would not be expensive compared to a complete window frame with operating sash. Tell the window sales outfit what you are intending to do with the sash. If the outfit you end up dealing with has their windows fabricated by another firm, no matter, delivery will be reasonably fast. Regardless what material your original casements are made of, PVC, pultruded fiberglass, wood, or aluminum-cladded wood, a welded PVC fixed sash will be the cheapest yet perfectly reasonable material for your custom window sash.

When I made PVC sash for old wooden casements I actually used PVC sash intended for "Double Hung" window sash instead of modern casement stuff. This is the sort of thing you need to talk to your local window guy about. If the first one you visit "talks down" to you as if you are some sort of moron, simply say "thank you for your time" and go to another outfit.

Can I point out that however interesting this discussion may be as the northern hemisphere heads into winter it's a zombie thread reopened by a spam bot advertising a product for sale? Let's just let it sink back to to the bottom.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

I agree.