Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Basement shop problems &:solutions

Default Basement shop problems &:solutions

I'm limited to a basement shop. It's is actually a nice shop,. but limits boat & project sizes.

The basement entrance is roughly 40" wide and 48" high on the a diagonal.

The largest boat I've had in the basement was an 18 foot Old Town sailing canoe. And lately, the CLC Eastport pram that has a 48" beam went down the basement with no problem at all.

Anyways...

I've been rethinking the whole set up in the basement because it looks like I'm back into building and restoring canoe like boats!

I have a new friend that has two or three boats and very little experience, is unsure of how to proceed so.... I offered to share my knowledge! (Not free but not expensive either)

I'm thinking of making some sort of a track with very low dolly cradles to roll the boats up and down because it's very easy for them to get damaged.

Steel channel seems like 1st choice for the "track" but I'll probably make it out of PT lumber and plywood. it doesn't have to be structural so much, as just a guide for the wheels and easy to manage sections.

This is the "large" problem (pun intended)

I'm also thinking that the lumber rack needs to be on the opposite side of the basement which will give me 20ft+ long working space.

This is not going to happen too quickly or overnight I may still be talking about it this time next! Oui!

I'll take some more pictures at some point because I don't have any of the actual entrance and back porch
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-16-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Basement shop problems &:solutions

Classic old school refrigerant gauges.
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Ol Salt View Post
    Classic old school refrigerant gauges.
    🤣 you saw that huh? there's at least five other sets in the shed out back I once had nine employees but that was a long..... time ago!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

My shop used to be in the attic of the house and I built a stripper up there.Here's some pictures of it leaving via the window. I've since moved to the basement as it became difficult to carry materials up the stairs.Like yours the small size of the basement shop means crowding and lots of clutter and the stenosis in my back makes me keep my projects small and light so no more boats.

IMG_0008 (300x450).jpg

IMG_0007 (450x300).jpg

I can't imagine building in a hot attic but the good news would be you can season your lumber as you build!!

Started cleaning up the shop ( if such a thing is even possible) found I actually still have a table saw underneath all that clutter! And I have, as I write this, seven contractor bags waiting for the trash truck.

I'm pretty sure I have ADD in my old age , nothing ever gets complet

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post

I'm pretty sure I have ADD in my old age , nothing ever gets completed.
    If so, there's something to do tomorrow.
    It's good to write down what it is.

Denise, could you improvise a lift using one of those shingle elevators that fit on ladders ?

Rick

藍 you saw that huh? there's at least five other sets in the shed out back I once had nine employees but that was a long..... time ago!
    Been in the field since 1980, now I just do testing, adjusting and balancing.
    I don't cuss much for a sailor - that said, I may cuss to much for a preacher...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Denise, could you improvise a lift using one of those shingle elevators that fit on ladders ?

Rick
    I was thinking a little harbor freight 12 volt or 110 volt winch but that's not a bad idea!

Those stairs are the only entrance and exit to your workshop? Mama Mia!
    Have considered building a workshop in your backyard? Just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    Those stairs are the only entrance and exit to your workshop? Mama Mia!
    Have considered building a workshop in your backyard? Just an idea
    Uh, no, per my #1 post
    "The basement entrance is roughly 40" wide and 48" high on the a diagonal."

I may be misinterpreting your first post but if you want an overhead trolley system you can use barn door hardware. The tracks and dollies/ hangers can handle several hundred pounds. Your local Tractor Supply has a selection for starters. Adding wheels to anything in a small shop seems to
    help.

I agree about wheels! I don't know what I'm going to do with the track if anything, it seems like a lot of work for very little. I was thinking something on the floor, originally I was thinking something hanging above but it's a very busy ceiling with the kitchen, powder room and radiant floor plumbing & piping above.

Finding a suitable place for boat building is something we all face, and can often be a very challenging problem to solve. Tricky spaces require creative solutions. It is always interesting to see how others address this, so thanks for your post. Any chance we could see a picture of the entrance/exit to your workshop?

Denise: What ventilation system do you use in that enclosed space for noxious fumes like epoxy and other nasties that accompany boat building and finishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Finding a suitable place for boat building is something we all face, and can often be a very challenging problem to solve. Tricky spaces require creative solutions. It is always interesting to see how others address this, so thanks for your post. Any chance we could see a picture of the entrance/exit to your workshop?
    Will do!, It's just a typical 4steps down basement entrance the house is over a hundred years old,

Very drafty old house, the basement is quite large, once upon a time when my son was here we had the dust collector set up for every machine it wasn't even worth the trouble, also have an exhaust fan,gluing laminating paint and varnish isn't the problem either with the drafty construction.

Ahhhh...I understand about drafty old houses! I could put lit candle on my nightstand in a house I was renting during college and on a windy night it'd blow out. Looking forward to seeing the entrance pics!

The basement is 50' long +- under the front porch is another 7' what would have been the coal bin, used as wood the lathe room.

think I'll make a quarter inch graph paper sketch of the basement, I'm thinking of putting the workbench where the boats have been I can get 26 feet under the front porch to the middle of the basement which is more than enough for two canoes or a Delaware Ducker that just happens to be in my yard lol,. The basement is also 8 feet deep but the ceiling pretty cluttered the plumbing and wiring. The amount of dust is incredible.

As mentioned the, basement entrance is nothing to rave about I think it will go but haven't tried to get the ducker in.

Tat looks soooo familiar! I've gotta admit I'm spoiled by my current shop! Big wide sliding door and tall...but it's a tin pole barn and in winter it's an icebox! There are always trade-offs, eh? Love the rough sawn doorpost!

I really need a steel bilco door but I can't afford it so I keep trying to build a waterproof wooden door but we all know how that goes,

1/8 inch scale.. I should re-draw in quarter inch scale but, I'm too lazy lol

Here’s a real ‘outside the box’ idea. Can you excavate the area outside your existing entrance and get a larger opening serviced by a ramp?
    it would mean a header and some way to get rid of water, or a roof covering over the excavation, but opening up your large basement space would be worth the cost perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Here’s a real ‘outside the box’ idea. Can you excavate the area outside your existing entrance and get a larger opening serviced by a ramp?
    it would mean a header and some way to get rid of water, or a roof covering over the excavation, but opening up your large basement space would be worth the cost perhaps.
    It was a thought I had years ago Paul, but it would mean a zoning variance not to mention my house is right behind the borough inspectors office, he can actually look out his window into my backyard and they claim everything in my borough is historic , even though it's not. Additionally the side door stoop to the mud & powder room would mean moving the side door to the rear.

It's not a terrible bother if I get somebody to help. and it's not like I have boats going in and out everyday or every week. Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for showing the entrance pics. Reminds me of a boat Sven Yrvind built in his mother's basement. Here is a pic from his web site showing how he moved his ocean going sailing boat out of the basement.

BRIS-20-UTTAGNING-1KPX-749326.jpg

Some of you may remember, I added a tool tray to my workbench, I hate it! All it does is collect dust and really hasn't changed the way I clutter the benchtop. I don't know if I'll take it off, unless I get or build a rolling tool cart.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-22-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Chisel.. holster?
    Major woodworking project! Lol White oak and underlayment l 1-1/4" - 1/4" with space for a 2" (maybe someday)
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 08-22-2019 at 01:02 PM.

I sometimes miss my old basement shop. Always cooler in the summer and warm in winter with the boiler and overhead steam pipes. I was fortunate that the house was built into a hillside and I had a walkout entrance into the lower level garage. Good luck with the clean up. Enjoy the "so that's where that went" moments.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    I sometimes miss my old basement shop. Always cooler in the summer and warm in winter with the boiler and overhead steam pipes. I was fortunate that the house was built into a hillside and I had a walkout entrance into the lower level garage. Good luck with the clean up. Enjoy the "so that's where that went" moments.
    My basement is unbearably hot! the front porch is concrete, the sun heats it up all day and it radiates into the basement! someday I'm going to insulate it

Had one like that in a weirdly divided rental way back. It was a storeroom/shop under a general store next door. It would mysteriously get hot, finally figured it was the store opening it's storeroom door (wide barn door to the south) to try and get ventilation through in hot weather, but it just made the sun bean down on the slab floor which was the ceiling of our shop/storeroom. It was kind of odd how he had his stock sitting wide open to the street and he didn't seem to get any theft problems.
    2019: returning from being sidelined with medical probs, crossing fingers worst is over, still in "armchair enthusiast" mode for time being.

Today is the first day below 90 we've had in what seems like forever!
    Here's my little chisel holder, kind of cute, but it serves the purpose!

Still overwhelmed with the basement shop situation. It was all done when me, was "we". Sighs...

This week alone I put out 14 bags of wood scraps, rubble and trash, very little of it was hardwood, I still tend to hold on every bit of hardwood I have lol

It was a thought I had years ago Paul, but it would mean a zoning variance not to mention my house is right behind the borough inspectors office, he can actually look out his window into my backyard and they claim everything in my borough is historic , even though it's not. Additionally the side door stoop to the mud & powder room would mean moving the side door to the rear.

It's not a terrible bother if I get somebody to help. and it's not like I have boats going in and out everyday or every week. Thanks for your thoughts!
    You think we don’t live a police state today, try building or renovating something on your own property without permission from the local apparatchiks and see what happens to you!

I'm starting to get lazy again, not working on that pram everyday was fun I'm glad it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by Plyboy View Post
    It was kind of odd how he had his stock sitting wide open to the street and he didn't seem to get any theft problems.
    Yeah, Canadians can be like that.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

My basement is unbearably hot! the front porch is concrete, the sun heats it up all day and it radiates into the basement! someday I'm going to insulate it
    The first thing I would consider is a low solar absorption paint for the floor. If you cut the amount of heat the floor absorbs, the insulation doesn't have to work as hard.

General information: http://ips-innovations.com/exterior_coatings_2008.htm
    A concrete deck coating, https://encorecoatings.com/product/n...-deck-coating/ (selected by ease of search results with a price, but not a recommendation based on experience)
    LSA paint works for steel boats and should work as well for wood. https://marinecoatings.brand.akzonob...-1-English.pdf

The inside surface would benefit from a low emissivity coating such as Lo/Mit (I have no connection to the company, but from limited experience with Lo/mit, it is a decent product) This is a silicone product, but that is the binder that you need for low emissivity. It does not radiate as much heat as a normal coating at the same temperature. That is difficult to get in a paint. Low absorption coatings normally emit a lot of IR when they heat up. That is a good thing on the exterior where they not only absorb less heat but also radiate it away. On the underside of the slab, a low emissivity coating radiates less heat into the room, so while it is just as hot to the touch, it seems cooler and does less to heat the room.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 08-25-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Thank you Dave you really put some effort into that research my front porch unfortunately is on historic street so again I'm limited I may not even live long enough to get it finished!