• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeniseO30
    Thinks too much..
    • Jan 2009

Found a D-23

Today at Habitat ReStore $2.98 :

The actual Mark is on the blade I'm going to get some good rust remover for this one.
    going by the information on the site it's probably not worth a whole lot but it's worth more than $2.98 and it's just nice to have.
    Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: Found a D-23

A real score. I have a few Disstons, even tatty ones are good saws.
    Interesting comment about why the bigger handles. I still use the three finger hold as it controls the blade with more precision. I did read that the bugger hand hole accommodated work gloves.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• wizbang 13
      • Oct 2009

That is for cutting wood?

Comment

• Peerie Maa
        Old Grey Inquisitive One
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by wizbang 13
        That is for cutting wood?
        Yep, and it does not need plugged in and it has no batteries to go flat at the wrong moment.
        It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
        The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Bob Cleek
          • Feb 2000

Nice find! If you aren't an accomplished saw sharpener (and few of us are,) I'd suggest you take her to a good saw sharpening shop and have them set and sharpen it. (It shouldn't cost much.) Then get a length of "term paper binder strip (see below) the length of the cutting edge to slide over it as a tooth guard to keep them sharp and you safe. (A sharp handsaw can cut flesh surprisingly easily.) If you've never used a properly sharpened Diston saw, or the equivalent, you'll be amazed. It'll cut through a two by four faster than it would take you to plug in your worm-drive!

Comment

• DeniseO30
            Thinks too much..
            • Jan 2009

Thanks everyone!

Welp.... I got Rust-Oleum rust dissolver rated as one of 3 best... It turned every bit of both sides completely black! I was shocked! It didn't wash off either!

After I calmed down, started washing it with 600 w/d. took a little time but as you can see cleaned up nicely.

I don't know, should I polish it's more? Let me know where y'all think. It shows a beautiful grain.

I gave it a heavy spray of oil for now.

Comment

• Bob Cleek
              • Feb 2000

It's made to be used, not looked at. My Distons are all pretty much "black." They're old. I spritz 'em with WD-40 now an again. (If you're as conscientious as Jay Greer, you'll wipe 'em down with camellia oil, but that's a story for another time, children. )

Comment

• jpatrick
                Measures twice/Cuts twice
                • Jun 2010

It looks fine to me except for the teeth. Definitely needs some file attention.

Jeff

Comment

• DeniseO30
                  Thinks too much..
                  • Jan 2009

Teeth? Oh, the nubs! No points on them at all. I just stripped sanded and sprayed the handle, came out reddish pink again so I guess it's not maple.

last year I taught myself how to sharpen saws, even made a clamp to hold the blade, but I may have this one done professionally.

Comment

• willin woodworks
                    • Jan 2011

What Bob said; the D23 is the F150 of handsaws, simple, practical, meant to be used. Have it filed, hit the plate with some paste wax and start making dust.

Comment

• DeniseO30
                      Thinks too much..
                      • Jan 2009

That's true, but how many of us actually use hand saws very much anymore, and with me, if I used one twice a year it would be a lot. But they are practical I really love the ripsaw that's one I grab when I need to cut with the grain.

Comment

• Rich Jones
                        What boat to build next?
                        • Apr 2009

I've got a D23, but much newer as the stamping is in a modern font. But, it's got to be over 40 years old. My father had several really old handsaws that were passed down over the generations. I've no idea what became of them. Maybe my brother has them.
                        I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                        Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• willin woodworks
                          • Jan 2011

I would venture to guess that a lot of people have handsaws hanging in their shop somewhere qnd haven't reached for them in years. Probably the last time they did they were frustrated because the saw wasnt real sharp, it chattered on the back stroke, it bound up because the pakte wqs a little rusty or even kinked, so they hung it back up and forgot about it.

A well filed, well tuned handsaw is a joy to use and handy as hell. I use mine a lot. That being said, I spend a decent amount to keep them sharp and clean. Im way too lazy and busy to file them myself, but a quick swipe with a scothbrite and a little paste wax now and again is all they need from me.

Comment

• ron ll
                            Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
                            • Oct 2005

What’s this for?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• BrianY
                              Left Wing Extremist
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ron ll
                              What’s this for?
                              Disston said in their "Lumberman Handbook" :

"The "Nib" near the end of a hand saw has no practical use whatever, it merely serves to break the straight line of the back of blade [sic] and is an ornamentation only."
                              I rather be an American than a Republican.

Comment

Working...