Thread: Found a D-23

Default Found a D-23

Today at Habitat ReStore $2.98 :
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html

The actual Mark is on the blade I'm going to get some good rust remover for this one.
    going by the information on the site it's probably not worth a whole lot but it's worth more than $2.98 and it's just nice to have.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Found a D-23

A real score. I have a few Disstons, even tatty ones are good saws.
    Interesting comment about why the bigger handles. I still use the three finger hold as it controls the blade with more precision. I did read that the bugger hand hole accommodated work gloves.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

That is for cutting wood?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    That is for cutting wood?
    Yep, and it does not need plugged in and it has no batteries to go flat at the wrong moment.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nice find! If you aren't an accomplished saw sharpener (and few of us are,) I'd suggest you take her to a good saw sharpening shop and have them set and sharpen it. (It shouldn't cost much.) Then get a length of "term paper binder strip (see below) the length of the cutting edge to slide over it as a tooth guard to keep them sharp and you safe. (A sharp handsaw can cut flesh surprisingly easily.) If you've never used a properly sharpened Diston saw, or the equivalent, you'll be amazed. It'll cut through a two by four faster than it would take you to plug in your worm-drive!

Thanks everyone!

Welp.... I got Rust-Oleum rust dissolver rated as one of 3 best... It turned every bit of both sides completely black! I was shocked! It didn't wash off either!

After I calmed down, started washing it with 600 w/d. took a little time but as you can see cleaned up nicely.

I don't know, should I polish it's more? Let me know where y'all think. It shows a beautiful grain.

I gave it a heavy spray of oil for now.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

It's made to be used, not looked at. My Distons are all pretty much "black." They're old. I spritz 'em with WD-40 now an again. (If you're as conscientious as Jay Greer, you'll wipe 'em down with camellia oil, but that's a story for another time, children. )

It looks fine to me except for the teeth. Definitely needs some file attention.

Jeff

Teeth? Oh, the nubs! No points on them at all. I just stripped sanded and sprayed the handle, came out reddish pink again so I guess it's not maple.

last year I taught myself how to sharpen saws, even made a clamp to hold the blade, but I may have this one done professionally.

What Bob said; the D23 is the F150 of handsaws, simple, practical, meant to be used. Have it filed, hit the plate with some paste wax and start making dust.

That's true, but how many of us actually use hand saws very much anymore, and with me, if I used one twice a year it would be a lot. But they are practical I really love the ripsaw that's one I grab when I need to cut with the grain.

I've got a D23, but much newer as the stamping is in a modern font. But, it's got to be over 40 years old. My father had several really old handsaws that were passed down over the generations. I've no idea what became of them. Maybe my brother has them.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I would venture to guess that a lot of people have handsaws hanging in their shop somewhere qnd haven't reached for them in years. Probably the last time they did they were frustrated because the saw wasnt real sharp, it chattered on the back stroke, it bound up because the pakte wqs a little rusty or even kinked, so they hung it back up and forgot about it.

A well filed, well tuned handsaw is a joy to use and handy as hell. I use mine a lot. That being said, I spend a decent amount to keep them sharp and clean. Im way too lazy and busy to file them myself, but a quick swipe with a scothbrite and a little paste wax now and again is all they need from me.

What’s this for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    What’s this for?
    Disston said in their "Lumberman Handbook" :

"The "Nib" near the end of a hand saw has no practical use whatever, it merely serves to break the straight line of the back of blade [sic] and is an ornamentation only."
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I would venture to guess that a lot of people have handsaws hanging in their shop somewhere qnd haven't reached for them in years. Probably the last time they did they were frustrated because the saw wasnt real sharp, it chattered on the back stroke, it bound up because the pakte wqs a little rusty or even kinked, so they hung it back up and forgot about it.

A well filed, well tuned handsaw is a joy to use and handy as hell. I use mine a lot. That being said, I spend a decent amount to keep them sharp and clean. Im way too lazy and busy to file them myself, but a quick swipe with a scothbrite and a little paste wax now and again is all they need from me.
    One Saturday, years ago, three firemen on a pumper drove up my driveway, as they did from time to time, and noted that there was an oak tree limb overhead that was blocking their way. They came around once a year or so to make sure homeowners kept the way open for their equipment in case of a fire. The limb was about four inches in diameter and could be reached from the hose deck of their pumper. When they took out their chainsaw, they discovered it was out of gas and said they'd have to go back and get more saw fuel. They happened to be a few yards from my shop, so I said, "Wait a minute." I came back with one of my old Distons, fresh from the sharpener and a big one at that. I handed it to the fireman and said, "Try this." He looked at me like I needed my head examined. I said, "See what it will do. It might save you the trip." That old Diston went through that four inches of oak limb in about a dozen strokes. It was fun to see their jaws drop. They asked, "What kind of saw is that." I said, "A properly sharpened one."

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Disston said in their "Lumberman Handbook" :

"The "Nib" near the end of a hand saw has no practical use whatever, it merely serves to break the straight line of the back of blade [sic] and is an ornamentation only."
    so its not for tying on a sheath?
    intersesting
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Google Paul Sellers Saw Sharpening. You'll be amazed. Then you'll go down a rabbit hole that will have you occupied for hours watching him work and teach. I love watching his videos.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Google Paul Sellers Saw Sharpening. You'll be amazed. Then you'll go down a rabbit hole that will have you occupied for hours watching him work and teach. I love watching his videos.
    As I mentioned in post #7. But yes Paul covers it very well.

put it back together, apparently the handle is made from Applewood. because I cleaned it all off sanded and removed all the old finish sprayed it with new Polly and it turned reddish pink all over again. I polished the bolt heads. Looks nice, not shiny like sheet metal saws because the ground surfaces have a distinct "grain"

If you used gloss poly you might want to take some 400 grit to the grip. You dont want to get a blister.

Sharp hand saws are like good rowing boats -- almost no one in modern times has experienced one.

I bought a new blade for a bucksaw a while ago, and discovered, to my disgust, that it had no set to the teeth whatsoever. Any cut deeper than an inch jammed, of course.

Imagine!

After my first try at sharpening a rip saw I found last year, nothing ever used to rip cut pleased me more! Just for fun, I test cut some tenons on ash with it. I'll never rip saw with a crosscut hand saw ever, again.

The D-23 really needs sharpening badly, all the teeth are rounded off I may give it a try again myself but probably will have it sharpened professionally.

My 2 Japanese saws, one from Woodcraft the other one from Harbor Freight where both razor-sharp when they were new and wonderful.

There are sharpening Services not very local to me. So I still waffle at driving an hour to get hand saws sharpened that I almost never use.

Soaking tool handles, including saw handles, in boiled linseed oil and thinners produces a lovely, hand-friendly finish. I usually let them soak for a week or more, then cure for even longer. I often round over the contours of the handle even more before soaking in oil.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Soaking tool handles, including saw handles, in boiled linseed oil and thinners produces a lovely, hand-friendly finish. I usually let them soak for a week or more, then cure for even longer. I often round over the contours of the handle even more before soaking in oil.
    You don't really think I'm going to do all that? for saw that I'll probably never use!

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Same, same, except once dry I hit them with a quick coat of real thin shellac.

Shellac is water soluble the perspiration from your hand will cause it to get sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Same, same, except once dry I hit them with a quick coat of real thin shellac.

I don't think so.

Everybody's " my way, what I would do, it's what I do, how I do it if it were mine" is fine wish y'all well

My way, clean it up make it look nice hang it on the wall with the others. Done.

BTW, the handle on this saw had a hard shiny finish on it already.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 10-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.