Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cape Cod CL Pete Culler design Concordia

Default Re: Cape Cod CL Pete Culler design Concordia

No buzzkilling, rather the opposite. Thanks Cris!
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

OK, so dates are firming up. Will show up on the Cape sometime late afternoon on Saturday Oct 20, and drive away with the new toys on Sunday morning. Leaving early enough that I will have daylight for most of the 8 hour drive home, and won't have to dodge too many moose in the dark.

Which means that I am free for an EBS on Saturday night. If the lad does drive with me... what is the drinking age in MA?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    what is the drinking age in MA?
    21, Assuming you are drinking at an establishment. If you are at someones house and you decide to give your son a beer or two....
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3e10ce1fdb5e
    Tom

Hmm. Bears considering, as the lad is 20.

Wish I was 'a lad'. I used to be! Good times.

And of course, this should devolve into a piktur thread.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Hmm. Bears considering, as the lad is 20.
    Every states laws are different but if he isn't driving and is with you, you should be OK in MA.

NH, the "live free or die" state, is probably more restrictive.
    Tom

Waste of a perfect designated driver, if you ask me.

Peace,
    Expert Something Or Otherer

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Excellent thought.

Peace,
    Expert Something Or Otherer
    I'd rather enjoy 1 or 2 beers with my son than drink enough that I needed a designated driver.
    Tom

The laws changed a year or two back here in New Brunswick - if you're under a certain age (25, I think), you can't drive with any blood alcohol level at all. Zip, nada, zilch. The rest of us can still have the 0.08 thing, but not youngsters. So any group of young folks, even if all are of age, needs a designated driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I'd rather enjoy 1 or 2 beers with my son than drink enough that I needed a designated driver.
    Id never drive after drinking, especially with my children in the car.

Id have one or two beers with my legal friends, and have my son learn the responsibility of being in charge of the truck and boat.
    I dont remember the last time I was inebriated, in any way, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

I’d never drive after drinking, especially with my children in the car.

I’d have one or two beers with my legal friends, and have my son learn the responsibility of being in charge of the truck and boat.
    I don’t remember the last time I was inebriated, in any way, anyway.

Peace,
    Robert
    I never drink enough for it to matter either, and Tom is from a country with a lower drinking age so having a beer or two with his son is probably not an uncommon occurrence (I believe we are talking about someone over 18 or 19, not a child per se). Having a beer with my boy was a nice experience while in Germany, and he was well under the legal limit here. He ended up switching to coke. Teaching them that you can drink responsibly is a worthwhile thing. There is no shame in switching to non-alcoholic drinks when driving is required.
    Tom

Sorry TomF.

Im out. I have a tendency to do this, somehow...

Peace,
    Robert

Gents, no harm no foul. I helped my son develop a taste for craft brew rather than mass-market suds a bit before he was of age where we live, in part because I wanted him to discover the sheer enjoyment of a great brew. And also to discover that the best way to recognize when you're having such a brew is to not have twelve. Ahem. Interestingly, one of the first things he did when he actually turned "legal" here was to spend a year being "Straight Edge" - choosing to have nothing to do with alcohol or etc. of any type. He wanted to assert his control over his habits, rather than just get carried along. But really, no harm no foul, gentlemen both.

Gents, no harm no foul. I helped my son develop a taste for craft brew rather than mass-market suds a bit before he was of age where we live, in part because I wanted him to discover the sheer enjoyment of a great brew. And also to discover that the best way to recognize when you're having such a brew is to not have twelve. Ahem. Interestingly, one of the first things he did when he actually turned "legal" here was to spend a year being "Straight Edge" - choosing to have nothing to do with alcohol or etc. of any type. He wanted to assert his control over his habits, rather than just get carried along. But really, no harm no foul, gentlemen both.
    Sorry for the sidebar, but it seemed a worthy discussion. Congrats on the boat and enjoy the trip!
    Tom

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Which means that I am free for an EBS on Saturday night. If the lad does drive with me... what is the drinking age in MA?
    Oh man I wish I could be in Boston on Sat. Hope something works out for you all.

It comes together. We have a number of good local breweries and I even have growlers at one. So we could have a house party. Or we could have meet at some place like the Chatham Squire followed by a gathering someplace. If Tom's motel is not suitable, I could clean up the construction pit known as Meg Merrilies that we could tell tales till all hours. That's about 20 minutes from Tom's new boat.

If we go ahead, we need to get Emily and Adam Pettingill and others.

Sounds brilliant. Should music happen too?

Music should always happen.

Right. I'll bring a couple of things, but I'm not a guitar player. Someone else has to do that.

There's no telling. The folk I think of right off are only a little more musical than I am, and when I sing sea gulls fall dead from the sky.

Odd gesture of appreciation...

Congratulations to you and both herselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    There's no telling. The folk I think of right off are only a little more musical than I am, and when I sing sea gulls fall dead from the sky.
    You and me could start the worst duet in the history of mankind then. Last time I sang, the neighborhood dogs got up a petition with nearly 5,000 signatures.
    Now when I play, I just hum. Softly.

Peace,
    Wish I Could Be There To Play...

If you want to take a break on your way back home Portland is about halfway. There are a bunch of breweries with some seriously good food trucks just about a mile from the exit on I-95.

Hmmmmm Sounds like a good thing to keep in the back pocket. Or front pocket, for that matter.

Wish this were really still a sticky - Anyway

Cape Cod EBS for Tom Saturday night 20 October. We'll home in on a time and place as we get closer. Maybe start with the Chathanm Squire or Brax Landing and go from there.

I'm in!

Bump. Our little trade war with America has added a 10% surcharge to my boat's price - dang. A surcharge on sailboats, apparently. For all of that, it's otherwise as easy to import as a couch, say the Canadian bureaucrats - in part because there's no engine. Actually, the boat trailer is gonna take more hoops to get across the border than the boat itself - an import charge, an inspection once in Canada, and only then can I get a New Brunswick license plate for it. Till then, I'll be borrowing the seller's MA plate. Aargh. On the upside though, the lad and I are getting quite excited about driving down this Saturday, meeting up with a few New England forumites, and bringing her home the next day.

You must be getting excited!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Not too early to plan Saturday dinner. That starts with Tom hinting as to when he might arrive.

Does that trailer even have a tag? Is the owner happy with your driving off with it?

8 hours of driving, I understand. Not including getting lost and found again. Or eating lunch. I figure we will try to arrive sometime near 5, but since this is my first rodeo, I dunno exactly.

And yeah. Excited ain't the half of it.

As my kids used to say, "Only 2 sleeps now."

8 hours of driving, I understand.
    You're driving through portland, portsmouth, and BOSTON, right?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.