Thread: Maybe the first purchase for the Glen L Topper

Default Maybe the first purchase for the Glen L Topper

I got the plans in the other day for the Glen L Topper and while I'm not 100% ready to start construction yet, stuff ahead of it in the shop, I have started looking into materials. Searching on E-bay for used sails was not working, that is unless you have a Sunfish or a Minifish, so I searched a bit on the ol' innerweb and found one that is almost perfect at Masthead Sailing gear.

They have a sail that has "maybe used once" from a Laser Radial. It has a 14.8' luff measurement, Foot 8.5' and a Leach of 16.2'. Luff style = Sleeve and loose footed cat rig, and it comes with 4 battens. Made of 4 oz Dacron by Intensity.

In comparison the Topper has a Luff of 14'-3", Foot of 8'-6" and Leach of 15'-9". It is also a Sleeved Luff and loose footed Cat rig.

These two are very close and this sail from Masthead is only $100. I've talked with them a bit via e-mail and I reckon that tomorrow I will go ahead and buy this sail. It is close enough to perfect that I think I can make it work for the Topper and a pretty good price.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Default Re: Maybe the first purchase for the Glen L Topper

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    I got the plans in the other day for the Glen L Topper and while I'm not 100% ready to start construction yet, stuff ahead of it in the shop, I have started looking into materials. Searching on E-bay for used sails was not working, that is unless you have a Sunfish or a Minifish, so I searched a bit on the ol' innerweb and found one that is almost perfect at Masthead Sailing gear.

They have a sail that has "maybe used once" from a Laser Radial. It has a 14.8' luff measurement, Foot 8.5' and a Leach of 16.2'. Luff style = Sleeve and loose footed cat rig, and it comes with 4 battens. Made of 4 oz Dacron by Intensity.

In comparison the Topper has a Luff of 14'-3", Foot of 8'-6" and Leach of 15'-9". It is also a Sleeved Luff and loose footed Cat rig.

These two are very close and this sail from Masthead is only $100. I've talked with them a bit via e-mail and I reckon that tomorrow I will go ahead and buy this sail. It is close enough to perfect that I think I can make it work for the Topper and a pretty good price.

Chad
    That's only $20 less than a new sail.

http://www.intensitysails.com/prsaforlara.html

Good catch. I missed that.

As I look at that more the new sail is a lighter material 3.7 vs 4 and it doesn't come with the battens. Something to think about for sure.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Okay I thought it through and looked at the options and decided to go with the "Maybe used once" sail. Couple of reasons. Yes it is cheaper by $20. It is a heavier fabric 4.0 vs 3.7. And it comes with battens ($10 extra). Plus I had already had conversations via e-mail with them and they were quick to respond and very helpful. So in the end that was enough to justify getting it there.

Now on to the next issue.

For this build I really want to use marine grade plywood. Plans call for 5 sheets of 1/4" marine grade ply. I knew it would cost a little more and felt okay with paying around $50 a sheet. Yes I can get Doug Fir marine grade ply for about that on the internet, but there is nobody local that can get it for me. Even reached out as far as Nashville and Atlanta, even reached out to my millwork sub all with no luck. What gets you on ordering this ply online is the shipping, at least doubles the cost. The best price I've gotten so far for 5 sheets of 1/4" marine grade plywood is over $600. Can't justify that.

So I may actually have to end up doing this out of Luan and than covering with a light glass fabric. Not what I wanted but not sure I can justify that kind of expense for this project.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

I think I would go to great lengths to avoid luan, since you never know exactly what grade you get. I built a boat out of Home Depot underlayment in 1995 that lasted an amazingly long time outdoors with minimal maintenance (20 plus years) but others have had disasters. Covering bad plywood with epoxy is kind of desperate.

Here's an older thread on Tennessee suppliers, might help--

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...d-in-Tennessee

I know a couple people who have built with Ironply, a particularly good grade of underlayment. Hold it up to a strong light to check for voids, though. They got it at Home Depot.

I wonder if that's the stuff I used. Didn't coat it with epoxy or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    I wonder if that's the stuff I used. Didn't coat it with epoxy or anything.
    I think its helpful to at least work some epoxy into the surface. put some on, work it in with a plastic spatula, leave no lumps on the surface.

I just glanced over that thread, which was for 3/8" and I can get that, but the 1/4" is what I can't find. I had already checked at some of those sources and it is a no go. For some reason nobody can order in 1/4" stuff.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

I just glanced over that thread, which was for 3/8" and I can get that, but the 1/4" is what I can't find. I had already checked at some of those sources and it is a no go. For some reason nobody can order in 1/4" stuff.

Chad
    Look for 5 or 6 mm.

I have been. Nobody anywhere near me seems to not be able to get anything less than 1/2"

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

I have been. Nobody anywhere near me seems to not be able to get anything less than 1/2"

Chad

These days there seems to be boatbuilding schools all over the place, maybe find the nearest one to you and see what they know. There might even be some local shop teacher who knows something.

Also, depending on the sizes you need, places like Boulter Plywood in Medford, MA routinely rip full sheets and send them UPS. Not exorbitant in my experience. I would definitely try calling the big suppliers on the east coast just to see if they have a line on something or a suggestion

Also, there's got to be a boatbuilder somewhere! He/she would know. Or a museum? Got any maritime museums anywhere? (Ok, that's a long shot, I just looked at the map of Tennessee and saw, what, two biggish bodies of water?) Nothing near Nashville? You must have a lot of instrument makers in the state, even though they would use natural wood some guitar builder might know of something.

just spitballin' here...

Well the motor for the Topper came in and looks great.

I'm still working sources for 1/4" or 6mm marine grade plywood but still having no luck.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Is there a Home Depot near you? From this thread:

The product I used is "IronPly", $20 at the Home Depot. Pricey for underlayment but still only about a third of marine grade plywood. It is put together with exterior (!) glue and essentially void-free. It nominally has five plies but only three of structural significance; the outside plies are just films.

The interesting part about that is the fact that the strong direction is across the panel, not along it. And that makes it more compliant to wrapping around curved shapes, like your hull.

I went through seven sheets. On a 14 foot boat that means a lot of scrap left-over. I used that scrap to make all my blocks, the back face of my mast, rudder stock, all kinds of fittings and local re-inforcements as well as corner panels/head boards on my sails. And by now almost all of the scrap has found its way back on the boat.

I think that, if you use something like that, bury the end-grain as much as possible and paint/varnish generously, you'll be fine.

I did a quick search on that and yes it is available at Home Depot here in Chattanooga and is only $13.98 a sheet. I will have to check it out.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Sureply is another name. They call it premium underlayment. $20 a sheet.
    I used it on my first build and it worked fine. Has held up for about 5 years of easy use.
    But no more - too much work and time involved to save a few bucks on cheap ply.
    Did you try Homestead Hardwoods in Ohio?

Yes I checked with them. The shipping alone is estimated at $406 for 5 sheets.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion