Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CO Kills

Default Re: CO Kills

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Also, it is cumulative in the blood stream. A very small amount overnight can add up to too much.
    It is cumulative, yes.

Our hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in our blood, has a 250 times greater affinity for CO than O2.
    250 times!
    And with a half life of about 6 hours, it is ridiculously toxic.
    Also odorless, tasteless, and invisible...

Gas appliances should have an unremovable big red sticker on them in plain sight, informing of exactly how to use them. When they are installed they are not tested. I installed gas appliances at high altitude and used an anilizer to adjust the orifices to their optimum. Gas stoves are made at sea level and when installed especially at altitude, are not tested. When I install, I test. Initial test (of ovens) sometimes tops 750 ppm co! After adjusting the size of the oriface, my anilazer reads 10. Anilazing gas appliances used to be required by gas companies a long time ago, they knew how dangerous co is. I called us , hands on old farts (h o o f) . CO detectors are good but knowledge and red stickers are 100 times better. Why are there no red stickers?????? If CO had BO , more would be done.

Probably because with a big red sticker covered in warnings most would look for another source of heating and cooking.

Yes.... CO is more dangerous than people know. It's in everyone's life and is a long time killer. The only way to combat it is knowledge,.....and big red stickers.

Again, if CO had BO (and big red stickers) people would be safer, if they wanted to be

Every gas appliance emits sometimes high amounts of co. They can and should be "optimized" , but co is a product of incomplete combustion. Gas appliances in enclosed spaces are very dangerous AND LP gas is heavy and goes to the low places. One spark and........to the moon. Do Not Take these appliances for granted . Always stay well ventelated.

Default CO Kills

For reference, the American Boat and Yacht Council standards require propane tanks to be installed in a locker fitted with a drain/ vent that leads directly overboard. This locker must be top loading and drain above the static waterline. The locker must be vapor tight to the rest of the vessel. The regulator, pressure gauge and solenoid shutoff are all required and all must all be installed inside the locker.

The standard goes on to require hose type, tank type, chafe protection and more.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Good protection for the L.P. Tank, but co still comes from the burner. Stay well ventilated.

Use Your nose and a squirt bottle with soapy water for leaks, and I like Ian's approach about a totally manual system. Also when burning, stay ventelated.