Thread: paint remote gas tank ???

Default paint remote gas tank ???

How do I paint a remote gas tank, e.g. 4 gal, 6 gal, steel Johnson gas tank ??
    Gasoline eats off some paint. Don't ask me how I know.
    Will car engine paint work well?? Do I need to do anything to protect decals ??

Default Re: paint remote gas tank ???

Success will much depend on prep. Strip it and degrease it thoroughly. Use a metal primer and purchase marine engine paint ( which is somewhat solvent/ oil/ fuel resistant) both available in spray cans.

I suppose a good two-pack paint would be the, " ultimate," but one needs to weigh the cost/benefit for this. Would you invest a couple hundred to paint a portable fuel tank?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Any good enamel, that is oil-based old fashioned gloss paint should be petrol proof, but not til its really hardened off , days and days . protecting the decals..? is this a faithfull restoration job or dolly it up to look nice….? almost certainly the decals are available , on line , not even from Johnson, there's loads of after market stuff out there, so maybe rub it down clean it up, spray it, even over the decals and stick new ones on after, or, if its a good resto, mask off the originals with lo-tack graphic artist's sticky back plastic and cut out with a scalpel or small x-acto then remove the masking, flat it all off decals too , and a couple of coats of gloss clear metal lacquer. Talk to the local bodyshop. Think when you slop petrol all over the tank of yer bike or down the side of the car, the paint doesn't just peel off. Avoid the cheap acrylic spray cans in the DIY mall type shops, they're ****e
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

I like ****ake japanese mushrooms. just testin'
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

an interesting question. I too was looking for it