Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to figure out how to service this South Coast winch

Default I need to figure out how to service this South Coast winch

Good day all:

I need to take this winch apart and service it, but it has no screw. The only thing I see is this pin on the bottom, which I tried to drive out with a punch and it moved in to where it was flush, but no further. It is made by South Coast. Anyone have a clue how to disassemble this?

Winch 1.jpgWinch 2.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: I need to figure out how to service this South Coast winch

I seem to be at least the 30th person stumped by this winch.
    Is the top a seperate piece?

is there any fasteners on/in the underside of the cap? or around the perimeter of the drum, it's self? .....p.s. since the pin on the underside moved, is it possible that pulling the pin will open the assembly? look around the end of the pin for signs of tools being used...other than your atempts
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 09-26-2018 at 11:21 AM.

I'd contact these people:

http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Winc...st_Winches.php

They seem to have the tools and info needed to service South Coast winches. But I'd guess that the drum is threaded onto a spindle. The center pin is press-fit into the base but it wouldn't be the thing holding everything together. Can you put a strap wrench on it and see if the drum will come off that way? (And if that is how it comes apart hopefully the prior tapping on the pin hasn't loosened it to the point where it will just spin and not resist the torque on the drum...)

There are no other fasteners aside from that pin in the bottom, which does not go any further than flush with the bottom. I am going to try to twist the capstan off while holding the base in a clamp, but that sure does seem strange- it seems a line with a lot of pressure would be able to pull it off if that's how it comes off. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to heat it a bit and try to pull it off. Might be a press fit.

Maybe a trick of tapping the top at a certain point, like removing a British Seagull flywheel?

I'd call Rig Rite before putting it in a vise or randomly tapping on things. I don't know much about winches (one might reasonably ask why I'm even on this thread, in fact) but I have some experience taking apart mechanical things and that winch small enough that I would be surprised if it needed much effort to disassemble. I can imagine several ways in which it might go together but exploratory tapping or clamping is almost always a bad idea.

Put the base in the biggest engineers vice you can find, heat the whole thing until it's glowing cherry red then hit it as hard as you can with a really big hammer. You should drink 7 cans of beer before doing this. Then go buy a new pair of winches. Sorry, that was just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Put the base in the biggest engineers vice you can find, heat the whole thing until it's glowing cherry red then hit it as hard as you can with a really big hammer. You should drink 7 cans of beer before doing this. Then go buy a new pair of winches. Sorry, that was just silly.
    Don't do this of course. But if for any reason you do, please post video!

Under load the pressure would always be in the same direction. If the drum is threaded on, and it appears to be, you should try spinning it the other way.

If the drum is screwed on and if the winch turns clockwise , it might well have a left hand thread.

Ah, I was in such a rush to give my wisdom that I failed to read Gib's. Department of Redundancy here.

Any chance that bottom pin locks the handle, allowing you to unscrew the drum? Kind of like unscrewing a grinding disc.

Maybe you don't even need to lock the handle. Does it have a limited arc of travel, is it goes back and forth rather than right around. In which case just keep going with it, in one direction or the other, to unscrew.

The handle is on the bottom, it's most likely a ratchet type. The drum will unscrew in the other direction.

OOPS, Phil already got that.

Oh go on, heat the damn thing up and bash away.....

Although I admit to being stumped by this one as well, I once worked at South Coast. I know for a fact that their winches and blocks are different from those made by companies such as Merriman and others. For the most part a custom spanner wrench is often needed for disassembling their hardware. Of course this one is a real puzzle! Where to fit the spanner?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Although I admit to being stumped by this one as well, I once worked at South Coast. I know for a fact that their winches and blocks are different from those made by companies such as Merriman and others. For the most part a custom spanner wrench is often needed for disassembling their hardware. Of course this one is a real puzzle! Where to fit the spanner?
    Jay
    My guess is that the OEM tool would bear against the ridges on the drum, something like a lock ring wrench:

But a strap wrench might do the trick in this case. About the only other thing I can imagine is that the top of the drum somehow comes off for access but if there is no separation line then I'm betting on the drum being threaded on directly. But again, I'm just guessing. I'd call Rig Rite as talk to someone there. Will be very curious to see how it actually works in any case though!

Good day all:

Thanks for the many replies. I tried calling Rig Rite and didn't get through to a person- will try again tomorrow. Today I am swamped. I have tried turning by hand against the lever, i.e. lever locked and turn the drum, and that didn't work, but I have yet to try with a strap wrench- was waiting for more replies before I do that. To the person who suggested that the pin is a locking mechanism, that's an interesting thought, but doesn't appear to be. To the person suggesting keep spinning the lever around, I will try that when I get home but I seem to remember it doesn't go all the way around.

I did find some online info where some of these used a tool kind of like Chris posted, but this has maybe a few thousandths of gap between the capstan and the lever, and between the lever and the base. There is not place to stick a wrench. As for using a wrench against the protrusions on the capstan, I am going to try that next. I was kind of hoping someone would show up and say, "Hey, I have that one, and I can confirm that you turn it with a wrench against the pawl." Since nobody did that, I will be the guinea pig and let you guys know.

As for heating it cherry red and bashing it, I will need many more beers. I am happy to start a gofundme campaign to buy me enough beers and to pay for a new winch, and if we reach whatever I set as the goal (which will be something outrageous because I figure if I can get you all to send me money, well why not shoot for the stars) then I will do a video. :-)

I would not be too shy to just use a big pipe wrench after bolting it to something solid and sand and buff out the marks it leaves later.

My contribution, (worth what you're paying for it) is that the drum will lift straight off when you position the lever in the right position. You'd have to experiment to find the right position.
    Proud but humble member of the LPBC

I can't believe I keep coming back here can't wait to find out how to get it apart!
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

I wonder if there is a pair of holes within the ring where the shaft comes through. Also is there a spring wire clip around a groove in that stubby shaft? South Coast had a lot of trick wrenches for their products. Wilcox Crittendon made a similar winch.
    Jay

My bet is that the top (the part above the drum) is threaded onto the center post. Give it a few smart taps with a plastic hammer or a block of wood and apply a strap wrench counterclockwise.

Or clockwise if the winch tightens clockwise.

Update: Today I tried turning the handle around and around to no avail. Next, I took a strap wrench, and torqued the capstan while holding the handle in the locked direction (it moves one way, locks the other). The handle was almost bending but it didn't budge. I then clamped it in a vise and tried to pull the capstan off the winch, but that did not work. I kind of feel this may be how it comes apart, but I need better leverage. I have a feeling if I pry it up with enough force, it will come off, but that's more hunch than anything. Happy to be able to provide continual entertainment. Tune in next time when we hear Malcolm say, "@#$%*#@$%"

Nothing made right just pulls off. Let's go another way: Why do you want it off? Is it sticking? Does it sound or feel like one of the spring loaded palls is not landing? If it's only about lubrication, why not turn it upside down and make a lake of good penetrating oil? See if the oil finds its way inside and if it allows easier movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Nothing made right just pulls off. Let's go another way: Why do you want it off? Is it sticking? Does it sound or feel like one of the spring loaded palls is not landing? If it's only about lubrication, why not turn it upside down and make a lake of good penetrating oil? See if the oil finds its way inside and if it allows easier movement.
    I agree 100% with this. That winch looks well-made. It's not going to press together. Methods used for fastening a spinning thing like that capstan to a fixed thing like the spindle are generally limited to threads and circlips. Where there is a need to press, pull or tap it's usually because there is also a taper or press fit involved, but the primary fastener is still going to be a thread or circlip that would need to be removed first. I can also pretty much guarantee that the factory tech who would have serviced that winch when it was new did not put it into a vice and pry on anything with any force at all. If prying is necessary then there will be a suitable notch designed for that purpose. No notch means no prying.

Are you SURE there is not a small allen screw flush with the drum surface? Maybe very hard to see...filled with dirt/camouflaged in the patina?

Here is a long shot, is there any Patent information or number stamped on it anywhere?
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

My winches are different, but I usually lube them with dry lube spray, silicone, ptfe or similar. They generally do not require disassembly.

Does that central pin underneath move at all easily? I wonder if it is some sort of key? What would make sense is that if you pull it out a little, where it can't go when mounted on the boat, the key engages, and then the handle unscrews the winch. Or the drum. You may have to rotate the drum and or handle to a particular position to get the keyway to align.

Gadfree Daniel! This winch is like the Antikythera Mechanism! They figured out how that one works by Xraying the bronze parts.
    The answer is out there, waiting patiently, to be discovered!
    Jay
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/81445...hera-mechanism

I would be tempted to try a collet on the pin showing underneath and see of it turns independently of the winch.

(I am certain it doesn't force apart.)

I've not got anything to add, but I would like to see the final solution. Is there any play in that center post that sits in the recess on the bottom?

Have you tried moving the handle around and looking around it for a pin or set screw? I'm looking at the bottom and feel like that center section has a break line just out from the groove. If that is true, then the center pin may be the winch's axle and pressed in.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.