Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Junkyard Dog
    • May 2013

Re: I need to figure out how to service this South Coast winch

I've not got anything to add, but I would like to see the final solution. Is there any play in that center post that sits in the recess on the bottom?

Comment

• ben2go
      Salty Sinker
      • Nov 2008

Have you tried moving the handle around and looking around it for a pin or set screw? I'm looking at the bottom and feel like that center section has a break line just out from the groove. If that is true, then the center pin may be the winch's axle and pressed in.
      This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Comment

• wizbang 13
        • Oct 2009

If this riddle is ever solved, I predict the winch does not have to be removed to be serviced,thus, does not come apart from the bottom.

Comment

• StevenBauer
          LPBC member
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Jay Greer
          Wilcox Crittendon made a similar winch.
          Jay
          Talisman has the similar Wilcox Crittendon winches and I had one apart about ten years ago when I bent one accidentally.
          i don’t remember anything difficult about taking it apart.

Comment

• Malcolm Schweizer
            • Jan 2011

I have officially given up and will just spray some white lithium grease into it and call it done. I have decided that there is a magic spell that will release the capstan only if the correct order of words- mostly cuss words- are said while standing on one foot and holding in your right hand an eye of newt, and in the left hand the hair from a unicorn's tail.

Comment

• Phil Y
              Banned
              • Apr 2010

Not trying the blow torch and hammer then?

Comment

• Balanda
                • Jan 2010

MER 395 396 TOOL

Comment

• wizbang 13
                  • Oct 2009

Merriman 395 & 396 Bronze Winch Disassembly TOOL: Mer 395-Tool:
                  SS Tool for Assembly and Disassembly of Merriman #396 and #395 Bronze Winches. Tool acts as a wide, deep slotted screwdriver that fits over handle lock pin (in early winches), or over upper spring (in square pawl winches). Flat SS Tool is 3" long x (maximum) 13/16" wide, and includes integral shackler. For use with (and originally included with) all Merriman #396 and #395 Bronze Winches.

Comment

• cstevens
                    Dreaming of a boat
                    • Nov 2014

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the right tool for Malcolm's winch? A quick search appears to show that the 395/6 winches look very different, and have a screw on top for removal of the drum:

The old Merriman Winches on my boat are 46 years old. I could tell the port winch had been rebuilt because some PO had used poor substitute springs. Merriman No. 2 winches are incredibly simple &#8…
                    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• Balanda
                      • Jan 2010

[QUOTE=cstevens;5700042]Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the right tool for Malcolm's winch?

Are you sure?

Doesn't the handle hold the drum on?

Remove the handle and the drum pops off?

Exhibit "A" used to remove handle?

See>>>>

South Coast Bronze Winches - Pawls and Springs
                      Sometimes Chrome-plated, these Top-action Halyard and Sheet Winches all used a Flat, Slide-in Bronze Winch Handle similar to those made by Merriman and Wilcox-Crittenden during the same period.

Comment

• Slacko
                        • Nov 2010

The original photo's clearly show a bottom acting winch though Balanda.
                        I'm with Gib on this one from the limited views of the winch shown.
                        Getting that wide washer off the bottom does look the most likely way to get it apart.

Comment

• Balanda
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Slacko
                          The original photo's clearly show a bottom acting winch though Balanda.
                          EXACTLY, so whats your point

Comment

• StevenBauer
                            LPBC member
                            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Balanda
                            EXACTLY, so whats your point
                            The winch in question has a fixed handle on the bottom, not a removable handle on the top like the one you posted about.

Comment

• jpatrick
                              Measures twice/Cuts twice
                              • Jun 2010

Something that I don't think has been suggested yet...... The winch ought to be throughly cleaned on the exterior. Remove all the patina in order to better discern any hidden/well fared keeper pins or even screws. The bottom especially is rough looking and could be hiding clues to how the winch disassembles. And there is no down side to doing this. The patina can be/will be restored.

Jeff

Comment

• wizbang 13
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by jpatrick
                                Something that I don't think has been suggested yet...... The winch ought to be throughly cleaned on the exterior. Remove all the patina in order to better discern any hidden/well fared keeper pins or even screws. The bottom especially is rough looking and could be hiding clues to how the winch disassembles. And there is no down side to doing this. The patina can be/will be restored.

Jeff
                                #28. That's how the drum comes off my ABI windlass.A very small allen screw right in the drum.
                                It seems daft to me that the winch needs to be unbolted from the deck to lube it.

Comment

Working...