Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Banks 42, Hull 259

Default Grand Banks 42, Hull 259

So a couple months ago I bought a boat, she used to look like this.heavan sent.jpg

But she has looked like this for the last 4 years.
    20180624_163604.jpg

Her bottom looks like this?
    hull.jpg20180624_163544.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Grand Banks 42, Hull 259

Well one pick of her deck under the wrap went in the last post, here are some more
    20180624_153808.jpg20180624_161605.jpg20180624_161643.jpg20180624_161721.jpg20180624_161658.jpg

Then at the advice of my local expert I caulked all the seams with 3m 5200. I sure hope that turns out to out to be a good move.20180726_152634_resized.jpg20180721_113222.jpg20180726_152654.jpg

Is this the same boat you cut the wiring on i.e. “Major Screwup”?

She’s a good looking boat.

Hmmmm,...... I thought there was some good discussion on what to do with her bottom on your first thread?

Yes, it is. I didn't know if I should do a long rebuild thing or just post segments that I'm working on at the moment. Is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    She’s a good looking boat.

Hmmmm,...... I thought there was some good discussion on what to do with her bottom on your first thread?
    Thanks, hopefully I have enough skills to get her working again. Yes, I have received a lot of good advice from the forum.

I've heard both that 5200 can be the best thing under heaven and also the spawn of the devil. Never used the stuff myself. Hopefully others will check in on whether regular caulking would have been best. Will the 5200 squeeze out as the planks swell?
    Looks like a beautiful boat. Enjoy!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Pitty the poor man that needs to replace any planking. Oh well a circular saw set at the correct depth can cut either the plank or caulk.

Congratulations - I look forward to seeing your progress. We have 42-244.

Chris
    F/V No Quarter
    1973 Grand Banks 42 Troller

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I've heard both that 5200 can be the best thing under heaven and also the spawn of the devil. Never used the stuff myself. Hopefully others will check in on whether regular caulking would have been best. Will the 5200 squeeze out as the planks swell?
    Looks like a beautiful boat. Enjoy!
    My guy said it would squeeze out just fine. I planned on using that slip deal stuff and he said my arms would fall off before I ever got the boat done and this stuff will still be working in 30 years. I'm guessing at some point I may have to cut off the squeeze out because the gaps were so wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-on-the-Boat View Post
    Congratulations - I look forward to seeing your progress. We have 42-244.

Chris
    Thanks, I have been wanting to post more on the gb owners site and woodies page but having some troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by jstafford View Post
    My guy said it would squeeze out just fine. I planned on using that slip deal stuff and he said my arms would fall off before I ever got the boat done and this stuff will still be working in 30 years. I'm guessing at some point I may have to cut off the squeeze out because the gaps were so wide.
    5200 is not a cure-all for leaks. It might keep the water out for a season but if there are any issues with the planking or cotton you will have leaks to find and repair. Eventually 5200 let's go of one side or the other on seams that are moving a lot. Of course some times when a boat dries out the 5200 will pull the edge off the plank.

Well, so with the hull pretty much ready to go in the water there were still no slips available at the marina. That's OK, didn't really want the expense this year anyway. Now to get after the issues topside. I tracked down the water lines so we had water for washing and finding leaks. Got the 12 volt water pump working and found the copper line under the lower helm for the window washers and the solenoid valve for the ice maker had both frozen and burst. A fix on both of them, 50 gallons of water from 5 gallon cans and we have water. Swept and mopped the top side which really felt good to see her cleaned up a little. Stripped the mast and moved it to saw horses next to the boat. No more bumping my head as I was getting on and off the boat. Progress!

Plan is to work from top down so time to get after the flybridge which looks like this.20180816_181735.jpg
    20180624_161721.jpg
    I stripped out the carpet and cleaned up the deck. Played with a couple options on paint and sand.20180903_135514.jpg
    Decided to go with TotalBoats anti slip paint.20180915_161412.jpg

Now it is time to tackle rot so I got a care package.
    20180910_193819.jpg
    I was going to patch the rot on the "wings" but decided to replace so I cut them off and making new. Replacing a panel on the seat also.
    20180901_154219.jpg20180915_161519.jpg20180915_162001.jpg20180915_161940.jpg

New wings still in process and trim getting refinished.
    20180923_144810.jpg20180922_103854_002.jpg20180923_145102.jpg

While working on the flybridge wings I decided to replace instead of patch some rot in the starboard lower helm. It did not go so well as I cut through a bunch of wires. Oh well, access will now be much larger and I will be able to address some other issues.
    20180922_112018.jpg20180922_113129.jpg20180922_143812.jpg

What does this boat have for engines and are they in good order?

I always felt that on a boat requiring a total overhaul that the first order of business was to ensure a strong seaworthy hull and deck. The next set of issues to set straight was the propulsion and supporting mechanical systems. Once those are as they should be, everything else can be fixed according to a prioritized functionality as needed.

I posted earlier about the use of 5200 as a seam compound but deleted it as a) it's not something I have direct experience with and b) no one wants to be Eeyore on the thread. But I think it's worth saying this: There is plenty of information available online regarding the use of 5200 in carvel plank seams, both in this forum and from other sources. The general consensus is that it's not a good idea. Hopefully it will all work out but I would absolutely do some research before taking more advice from the "local expert".

Pair of Lehmans and we sure hope so. Not being able to do good mechanical inspections(no batteries and no water) was a big issue, and consequently was a big impact on the purchase cost. The mechanic that had worked on them and winterized them along with another diesel mechanic checked out what they could and felt they would be just fine. I took the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    What does this boat have for engines and are they in good order?

I always felt that on a boat requiring a total overhaul that the first order of business was to ensure a strong seaworthy hull and deck. The next set of issues to set straight was the propulsion and supporting mechanical systems. Once those are as they should be, everything else can be fixed according to a prioritized functionality as needed.

I see lots of evidence that points to a need for ventilation.

5200 in the seams is going to come back to bite you some day.

As for managing a thread on this forum, its easier to keep it all in one place.

Good luck, lots of potential.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I posted earlier about the use of 5200 as a seam compound but deleted it as a) it's not something I have direct experience with and b) no one wants to be Eeyore on the thread. But I think it's worth saying this: There is plenty of information available online regarding the use of 5200 in carvel plank seams, both in this forum and from other sources. The general consensus is that it's not a good idea. Hopefully it will all work out but I would absolutely do some research before taking more advice from the "local expert".
    I've hesitated to respond, but guess I will. I am not a professional, but do have a decent amount of boat experience.

I know many people figure 5200 below the waterline is good, though I worry about plank/frame damage as it is tough stuff. I have no personal experience with that, but above the waterline is something I can speak to. Just don't.

The former owner of my boat caulked every seam in the hull above the w/l with 5200 & after 3 years of cursing it, it went away. Why did I curse it? 1) it split out small slivers of plank edge in many places - I presume because of lack of compressibility & 2) paint will not stick to it. I'd have a perfectly faired hull (& isn't that a PITA with 5200!), launch in early June & by early August, the gray boat would have white stripes down the sides. Finally, while I can't say for sure it was the 5200, an awful lot of plank screws were loosened up & I wonder if that same lack of compressibility caused them to loosen.

To remove it from the seams, we ended up routing it out - yes a router guided on a screwed on batten - that's the only way we could figure out to remove it. The edges of the seams were so bad (possibly not all due to 5200 - but I think a lot was) that we had to cut each of the planks back enough to glue in new wood to "rebuild" the corners of the planks. Literally weeks of work - though that included having to repair 100's of screw holes from the battens & tighten/replace many plank screws.

I will use 5200 for a cutless bearing or some such - but nothing else.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

It must be remembered that 5200 is a glue with the consistancy of a tire. If two parts need to be glued together for the life of the boat use it, but if it is something that one day it will need to come apart use a different product.

I've never used 5200 on planks, but I've certainly removed a fair number of thru-hull fittings bedded with it. Couldn't one just hit it with a heat gun for removal?

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Gessner View Post
    I've never used 5200 on planks, but I've certainly removed a fair number of thru-hull fittings bedded with it. Couldn't one just hit it with a heat gun for removal?
    Heating softens it, does not make it lose its "stick" to the wood. In my tests, I had to scorch the wood to get it to mostly release. Note the "mostly".

However - removing 5200 is not the issue here - as far as I can tell. My point of posting was to not have it be used anywhere else on the boat - except for a permanent mounting of something metal to the boat.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Got the "wings" and seat panel ready to get final fit to the boat. CPES and primer.
    20180928_070057.jpg

^^^ Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing the boat when you get the shrink wrap off of her.

You, me and everybody at the marina. But that will be next spring, a lot of work to do between now and when she touches water.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    ^^^ Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing the boat when you get the shrink wrap off of her.

Out with the old, in with the new. Your woodworking is looking fine!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Common GB 36 & 42 problems. Fuel fill deck fittings poorly bedded allowing water to run down fuel hose and settle atop both wing tanks causing mild steel tanks to rust out. Tank removal is cost prohibitive. Port and stbd shaft packing glands should have sling shields otherwise spray hits aft inboard lower fuel tank surfaces causing serious wastage and leakage. All chine log gussets from aft engine room bulkhead running aft should be inspected for separation and rebuilt. Factory only gusseted every other frame on early models should be increased to every frame. Chine log seams are common sources of leakage due to weak poorly designed gussets. Engine exhaust hose runs are likely to be brittle entire length as access is difficult. Bridge plywood is typical vintage lauan used is orient and Singapore during 70-80's. You're wasting your time and money patching as this plywood is famous for glue boundary failures, delam and fungal rot. And of course poorly draining window frame channels and associated water migration into deckhouse structure. Sorry buddy but it is what it is

^^^ Every boat has typical problems. It's helpful to know what they are of course, but the nice thing about working on something like a GB42 is that this info is readily available from a Google search and there are lots of people with experience in fixing them who can offer advice. Jstafford, I think you are doing fine. It's going to be a learning experience. No two ways about that. But everyone has to start somewhere.

If you haven't found http://www.gbwoodies.com/ yet that's a good place to start for info.