Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Default Re: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If you can fit 205's - these are tolerable. 185/70 is what I need & good ones are expensive!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...=1&RunFlat=All
    Not sure I can fit a 205 under there without using spacers (not preferred) and I'm not sure the Spitty needs that much tire. 185/60 will fit just about right...but g'luck finding them! I used to run the old Firestone "cantilever" slicks when I raced it 7X21.5s and I could reack full RPMs at the end of the strait. When I tried some Goodyear 8X22.5s (F/Atlantic front take-offs) I lost RPMs and my lap times increased, even though I was a bit quicker in the wigglies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Not sure I can fit a 205 under there without using spacers (not preferred) and I'm not sure the Spitty needs that much tire. 185/60 will fit just about right...but g'luck finding them! I used to run the old Firestone "cantilever" slicks when I raced it 7X21.5s and I could reack full RPMs at the end of the strait. When I tried some Goodyear 8X22.5s (F/Atlantic front take-offs) I lost RPMs and my lap times increased, even though I was a bit quicker in the wigglies.
    I'm running 185/70's - but they are getting on enough to have a few tiny weather checks.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Stock tire on the Ridgeline is 245/60-18. Fortunately I shouldn’t need snow tires.
    Was on tire rack and tires for it aren’t expensive, @ $125-$150 apiece.
    The 17’s were $10-$15 cheaper. Curiously snow tires for the truck are 17”. Lot fewer wheel choices in 17” though.
    Sorry - I was helping drift the thread into Fiats. 13" tires would look sharp on the Rigeline though!

Those are run flats. That really shoots up the price for a tire that's fairly poor on regular roads. I couldn't wait to get them off of my BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If you can fit 205's - these are tolerable. 185/70 is what I need & good ones are expensive!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...=1&RunFlat=All
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Those are run flats. That really shoots up the price for a tire that's fairly poor on regular roads. I couldn't wait to get them off of my BMW.
    Missed that & I agree! They are crummy tires to drive on - I guess excepting when they're flat...

Well it depends on what you need to tow and what you like. I'm on my 4th Subaru Outback and use my old 2014 with 4 cyl and CVT to tow my 2,000# boat. It's a great daily driver, gets almost 30 mpg unlaiden on the highway and is comfortable and agile. It's very reliable and takes our Northeast winters in stride. It only has a 2,700# towing rating so at 2,000# I'm comfortably within the limits, but pulling my boat I can still accelerate going uphill and that's with the car loaded down too. Towing does knock the gas mileage down about half into the 15-17 mpg range depending on the hills. With the AWD its never had problems on a slippery ramp either. So for a relatively light boat that's my choice.

Reynard, if just you knew a little more about vehicles or had a chance to look at a few at car shows....oh wait....

Forest Mist, did you have to order it? We are going to pick up a new Odyssey, that is our plywood hauler, and we like that color. Or maybe the Obsidian Blue, but we need to see them in person. Can you drive your car down so we can check out the color? Amazing how many of the lot vehicles are silver, black or white.

4x8 sheet of BS1088 okume in our Odyssey. Or she can haul 7 people.

Our Ridgeline is Obsidian Blue. It's a really nice color, but a real bear to get really clean and spot-free when you wash it (if that matters).

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Nice

Damn but that is a lot of steps up to the front door!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Looking good! The truck, house and shop!!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I'm not looking forward to trying to find 13" tires for my Spitfire, either...probably have to go to some of the "race" tires...Coopers or Toyos. I don't think Hoosier makes any DOT rated tires.
    Sunbeam driver here. Hoosier has autocross/rain 13" tires that are DOT rated, but their site says not to use them on the road. Hmmm...
    Toyo has some, and I got some (I'll-have-to-look-in-the-garage-tomorrow) brand thru Discount Tire that are regular road tires.

But re: trucks... Have a 2500 Suburban that will tow a house and has its own zip code. Pretty much no substitute when you need all that, but I do spend most of the time driving it alone and unloaded. (The truck, that is.)

The last drywall I picked up myself was with a Harbor Freight 1000 lb. fold-up trailer (pretty near capacity) towed by a 1989 Honda Civic Wagon with the CRX Si engine, 6-speed and their new-at-the-time RealTime 4WD system. (Similar to CRV's now.) Great car, and did a fine job towing. Had a custom hitch fabricated and installed because nothing was available at the time. Don't miss the trailer. Wish I still had the car, as it drove great.

Sometimes I need a pickup, but have a Suburban....

It will, however, tow my boat. Which is made of wood.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chip Chester; 10-13-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    Sunbeam driver here. Hoosier has autocross/rain 13" tires that are DOT rated, but their site says not to use them on the road. Hmmm...
    Toyo has some, and I got some (I'll-have-to-look-in-the-garage-tomorrow) brand thru Discount Tire that are regular road tires.

But re: trucks... Have a 2500 Suburban that will tow a house and has its own zip code. Pretty much no substitute when you need all that, but I do spend most of the time driving it alone and unloaded. (The truck, that is.)

The last drywall I picked up myself was with a Harbor Freight 1000 lb. fold-up trailer (pretty near capacity) towed by a 1989 Honda Civic Wagon with the CRX Si engine, 6-speed and their new-at-the-time RealTime 4WD system. (Similar to CRV's now.) Great car, and did a fine job towing. Had a custom hitch fabricated and installed because nothing was available at the time. Don't miss the trailer. Wish I still had the car, as it drove great.

Sometimes I need a pickup, but have a Suburban....

It will, however, tow my boat. Which is made of wood.

Great rig, Chip, and ingenious use of a ladder and (I imagine), a front-mounted hitch receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Nice

Damn but that is a lot of steps up to the front door!
    Those front steps and house elevation serve to raise the house above flood elevation from storm surge from hurricanes. The walls below the front porch are called breakaway walls. The idea is for the water to flow under the house instead for washing it away. This hopefully will reduce the pressure on the support piers. The shop not so much. Through the pine trees to left of the house is the ocean, bay or sound actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    Those front steps and house elevation serve to raise the house above flood elevation from storm surge from hurricanes. The walls below the front porch are called breakaway walls. The idea is for the water to flow under the house instead for washing it away. This hopefully will reduce the pressure on the support piers. The shop not so much. Through the pine trees to left of the house is the ocean, bay or sound actually.
    Aric, yes it’s 10’ above grade, hence then steps. The house is on the Beaufort River across from Paris Island.
    We are actually in an “A” flood zone as opposed to a “V”. V zones are near or on the beach and imply the property is subject to wave action. An A zone is subject to inundation.

My property in Charleston is also in an A zone. AE actually. My base elevation is 11 ft, I have a 4 ft crawl space so the house sits at 15 ft. I’m about a mile from the Stono River. Neighbors that have have lived in the neighborhood a long while says the neighborhood has never flooded. V designation I believe refers to subject to wind velocity damage due to location. I forget what wind velocity threshold defines your property as a V zone, ie AV.

Wave action and inundation are are the same thing it’s a matter of flood me now or flood me later. Typically your location is protected being on a river behind a barrier island. However if the hurricane approaches from the wrong direction then water is driven up the rivers with disasterous results, as the results from recent hurricane Florence demonstrated in Wilmington, New Bern and Conway.

Welcome to the Low Country.

I get that the house is raised above the local floodplain. In my line of work I get to move a lot of non-ambulatory patients up and down stairs, now I instinctively evaluate houses for egress.

Still a nice truck, have you figured out all the bells and whistles? My newest car (model year 2000) has the stock cassette tape player, I tend to be mystified for a day or two whenever we rent something on vacation.
    Steve

R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    My property in Charleston is also in an A zone. AE actually. My base elevation is 11 ft, I have a 4 ft crawl space so the house sits at 15 ft. I’m about a mile from the Stono River. Neighbors that have have lived in the neighborhood a long while says the neighborhood has never flooded. V designation I believe refers to subject to wind velocity damage due to location. I forget what wind velocity threshold defines your property as a V zone, ie AV.

Wave action and inundation are are the same thing it’s a matter of flood me now or flood me later. Typically your location is protected being on a river behind a barrier island. However if the hurricane approaches from the wrong direction then water is driven up the rivers with disasterous results, as the results from recent hurricane Florence demonstrated in Wilmington, New Bern and Conway.

Welcome to the Low Country.
    V zone insurance is substantially more expensive, due to wave action. The specifics are here...

https://snmapmod.snco.us/fmm/documen...efinitions.pdf
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-15-2018 at 05:17 PM.

I get that the house is raised above the local floodplain. In my line of work I get to move a lot of non-ambulatory patients up and down stairs, now I instinctively evaluate houses for egress.

Still a nice truck, have you figured out all the bells and whistles? My newest car (model year 2000) has the stock cassette tape player, I tend to be mystified for a day or two whenever we rent something on vacation.
    We figured this will be the retirement house so we had an elevator installed. Was a LOT cheaper to do it upfront. That’s also why I didn’t get the new ride until now.

And its got some bells and whistles to be sure! Only driven it a few miles so far. I left it down at the new place with a neighbor since I picked it up on a layover. I hope to drive the Roadster down and bring the Ridgeline home to help with the move. Roadster went to my mechanic today for a few items I wanted addressed before we change addresses.

I did try out the adaptive cruise and the lane keep assist. Worked as advertised. Also the Apple car play is really easy to use.

An elevator? That cracks me up! The engineering from the base elevation to the first and/or second floor must be interesting given the building codes for breakaway walls. How does the building codes account for that? Is the elevator built into the support structure piers?

Aric, you said my house had breakaway walls, I didn’t. In fact it does not. In an A flood zone they are not required. A zones require hydrostatic vents to equalize pressure inside and outside the structure. All material below BFE must be able to withstand immersion. Electrical raised along with HVAC. The elevator controls and hydraulics are up against the garage ceiling.
    I studied this stuff pretty extensively prior to deciding to build in the low country. You might want to review your Flood Insurance documents and the FEMA site in the event you ever need it.

Many of the homes in our neighborhood have elevators. Those that don’t usually are framed for them to be put in eventually.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-16-2018 at 11:45 AM.

A few years back I was talking to an architect about a custom house plan and he strongly suggested we at least allow for putting one in eventually even if we didn't right away. His usual MO was to stack a couple of elevator-sized closets somewhere in the house.

We parted ways, I kept asking for a 1200 square foot house and he drew up a 2200 square footer...I'm in permitting for a 1500 square foot house now.
    Steve

R.D Culler

A few years back I was talking to an architect about a custom house plan and he strongly suggested we at least allow for putting one in eventually even if we didn't right away. His usual MO was to stack a couple of elevator-sized closets somewhere in the house.

We parted ways, I kept asking for a 1200 square foot house and he drew up a 2200 square footer...I'm in permitting for a 1500 square foot house now.
    Thats what a lot of folks do. Makes adding it later a lot easier and cheaper.

Aric, you said my house had breakaway walls, I didn’t. In fact it does not. In an A flood zone they are not required. A zones require hydrostatic vents to equalize pressure inside and outside the structure. All material below BFE must be able to withstand immersion. Electrical raised along with HVAC. The elevator controls and hydraulics are up against the garage ceiling.
    I studied this stuff pretty extensively prior to deciding to build in the low country. You might want to review your Flood Insurance documents and the FEMA site in the event you ever need it.

Many of the homes in our neighborhood have elevators. Those that don’t usually are framed for them to be put in eventually.
    I used the same thing and my place is in an A zone as well. Flood vents and raised systems. Not a big deal. You were smart to put in the elevator, much cheaper now than a retrofit. I removed one from a house once, bought it cheap and considered installing it in my home but modifying it to do three floors instead of two was cost prohibitive. Sold it for well over what I paid. They are pretty simple machines, at least the one I had was. If I ever build another multi story house I will plan for it. My mom is beginning to have mobility issues and it would make all the difference.
    Tom