Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Default Re: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Hey, I didn't say the Ridgeline was "inadequate." It's entirely adequate for the use intended and a nice looking design as well. If it's what you want, go for it. I don't do a lot of towing and I don't do a lot of hauling heavy weight. We do have a need for cargo capacity, though and so I've got a short bed and a shell for the cargo. (Dogs and dog show gear the wife hauls.) This way, on the rare occasions I need heavy towing or weight and size carrying capacity, I've got it. Out here in the "Wine Country," you really can't survive without a truck if you have any land or do any shop work and nobody expects what is parked in front of the house to be making a fashion statement. (That's for the yuppies in the suburbs.) If a compact truck works for you, by all means buy one. I see my truck as simply another tool. It's sort of like a lathe. You can buy a 12"X42" bench top lathe that you will rarely use to turn anything 12" in diameter and 42" long and you may even be able to do most of what you want to do with one of those Chinese 7"X14" jobs from Harbor Freight or wherever just as well, but with the 12"x42" lathe, you've got it if and when you need it. The reason I decided when I bought my last truck to get one with all the extras and make it my daily driver was simply because when I used to have my "spare" used F100 for "dirty jobs," everybody would be calling me on Fridays to find out if they could borrow my pickup truck. Now I have a good excuse to give them. That said, when I have to go into the City, I usually borrow my wife's little BMW 328i station wagon because, yes, city parking garages are a royal pain with a full size pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    AWD version tows 5000#. My heaviest boat is 1810.
    If the heaviest thing you tow is 1810 # then a Ridgeline is a fine choice. I would not call it a pickup, but it does have many pickup style features. If it fits your needs, which only you can answer, then it is a fine choice. If you need to haul longer stuff there is always the option of a load support that slides right into the hitch receiver, or a trailer, or a buddies truck.

As for a

BTW, the above comes from a truck guy who drives a 2003 full size GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab diesel. I have this truck because I haul loads upwards of 14,000 pounds but not for my profession, just personal towing. I used this truck for many years as my daily driver, but for the last couple years I have also had my mother's sedan that I inherited.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    If you canít carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood and dimensional 2x8x12 lumber you get from the sawmill in it then the vehicle is worthless to serve the purpose of building anything.
    Before I got my first truck I carried 4x8 plywood sheets as well as 2x12x16 lumber on a roof rack on my POS Honda Civic. Hauled all the non-delivery lumber for the first house I built, a 1700 sq ft ranch.

I will also say that hauling long lumber is easier in my Dodge Caravan minivan than it is in my truck. I know for a fact that a 10' 2x12 can be put in-between the driver and passenger seats and the rear hatch closed. I think you could fit a 12 footer in but can't verify. The cargo area is also wide enough to get a sheet of plywood between the wheel wells and close the hatch too.

The lumber yards around here deliver. I'll go to pickup a sheet of plywood or one or two sticks but, even though I drive a full size pickup, if I need a stack, I will have them drop it off. Not only will I not have to go get the order, I wont have to offload it. They show up with that piggyback truck and put the pile right where I tell them to.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Around here most drywallers and framers have the materials delivered. If you take his list of needs along with what he is planning on towing a full size truck is really overkill and the ridgeline fits the bill nicely. I use one for exactly his intended use and honestly it's probably a lot more vehicle than it needs to be for that.
    I meant to write something to that effect and it didn't quite make it to the keyboard!
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Ordered the truck yesterday from the dealer in Beaufort SC.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

be careful calling that a truck...

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    My mistake, UNTRUCK.

The ridgeline I use is certainly more of a truck than most of the $50k+ f150's rolling around metro Atlanta. It actually hauls stuff, tows boats and has scratches in the bed AND the paint, though the scratches in the paint are pretty minimal.

Truck snobbery really is entertaining. I'd bet easily over 80% of the trucks sold are never used for anything close to what the ridgeline can actually handle. A good number of them are towing a motorcycle trailer with the harley the owner has to tow to bike week rather than ride, but the truck is decked out in harley logos too.
    Tom

It is sad that gone are the days when the F150 was the least expensive vehicle you could buy.
    Now they load them down with so much luxury stuff they cost as much as a Mercedes or BMW.
    Silly IMO.

For 12 years I've used my VW TDI (a 2 year old 2006 sedan and then a 2013 golf wagon, purchased new) for all my needs. I found that a utility trailer behind will pull just about anything I want within reason. No reason why I can't pull plenty of weight. Brakes are my only concern. I wouldn't want to have to stop in a hurry if I had a really heavy load behind me. But it provides me with an economical daily driving vehicle and the capability to carry larger loads if I need to. I won't move into the 5000lb load though, that's a bit more than I can handle brake wise. I'm pretty sure I could pull it though.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    For 12 years I've used my VW TDI (a 2 year old 2006 sedan and then a 2013 golf wagon, purchased new) for all my needs. I found that a utility trailer behind will pull just about anything I want within reason. No reason why I can't pull plenty of weight. Brakes are my only concern. I wouldn't want to have to stop in a hurry if I had a really heavy load behind me. But it provides me with an economical daily driving vehicle and the capability to carry larger loads if I need to. I won't move into the 5000lb load though, that's a bit more than I can handle brake wise. I'm pretty sure I could pull it though.
    I towed my boat from GA to NH with an 05 tdi. Pulled great, stopped great and got 35mpg @ 75-80 mph. It's only a 700lb boat and with the trailer is a couple hundred more so weight really wasn't an issue.
    Tom

It is sad that gone are the days when the F150 was the least expensive vehicle you could buy.
    Now they load them down with so much luxury stuff they cost as much as a Mercedes or BMW.
    Silly IMO.
    As much? More than the base MB or BMW models. Pickup prices are insane.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Do the new Ridgelines have a lock on the tailgate? Mine didn't, and that's one of the few gripes I've had with it, After I put the bed cover on I also added an aftermarket lock kit, which fixed that issue. Then I added a Superbumper for a bit of protection from people backing into me in parking lots. I bought the cheaper, bare steel version and coated it with WEST Epoxy mixed with graphite powder and barrier coat additive for rust prevention. Makes a decent step as well.

http://superbumper.com/

Congratulations!
    Steve

R.D Culler

I towed my boat from GA to NH with an 05 tdi. Pulled great, stopped great and got 35mpg @ 75-80 mph. It's only a 700lb boat and with the trailer is a couple hundred more so weight really wasn't an issue.
    My wife’s 328d wagon got just under 30mpg dragging Catnapper from St. Micheals to ATL, and eventually to Beaufort. @ 1800# with the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks. Looking forward to getting it.

Sheesh - and here I thought you were a real man...

I think you've made a good choice & hope it works out that way for you.

This thread is jumping the shark. There must be forum where the truck not a truck trolls can continue. Or.... maybe the sales dept at wooden boat can hit Honda up for a sponsorship and banner ad?

I wonder if anyone at Honda marketing has seen this and said “Hey boss, look t this!!”

Isn't the purchase of any vehicle based on what a person needs? If you need to do a 50 mile commute any day, a hybrid or maybe electric makes sense (& my 12MPG 3/4 ton pickup makes no sense). If you need a work vehicle that carries stuff that has to be under cover, you buy a van. If you need to tow a 7000 lb trailer, you buy a pickup. If you need a daily driver that can also haul a 2000 lb. trailer, an SUV of some sort makes sense. If you want it to also be able to haul some boards & the like, an SUV with a bed makes sense. The Ridgeline is that + Honda has a reputation for reliability. Any time I buy something that uses a small engine, I will pay extra for a Honda motor in it - since long-term, it's the cheapest way to go.

[QUOTE=Arlc;5692195]This thread is jumping the shark. There must be forum where the truck not a truck trolls can continue. Or.... maybe the sales dept at wooden boat can hit Honda up for a sponsorship and banner ad?

I wonder if anyone at Honda marketing has seen this and said “Hey boss, look t this!!”[/QUOTE

Good Point! Maybe I should hit them up for some free accessories...

You have left out the most important thing about this whole truck purchase! What color is it?
    Steve

R.D Culler

You have left out the most important thing about this whole truck purchase! What color is it?
    Honda calls it “Forest Mist”

I’d call it greyish green.

Stock photo.

2DE11A8F-CAA0-4ADC-9BD6-C90D28575639.jpg

I’m not a fan of the stock wheels. Im ok with the size, 18”, but not the style. That’s easy to change though.

Ive had a lot of red cars, plus white, black, blue, and one VERY yellow Audi. Time to go green.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-07-2018 at 01:37 PM.

On car tires, the diff between 17" & 18" tires is huge. Being in a place where I run snows in the winter, last year I bought 4 17" snows on nice alloys all mounted & balanced for $15 more than 4 18" tires without any rims or mounting & balancing.

Might wanna think on that if you buy other rims.'

Excellent choice on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    On car tires, the diff between 17" & 18" tires is huge. Being in a place where I run snows in the winter, last year I bought 4 17" snows on nice alloys all mounted & balanced for $15 more than 4 18" tires without any rims or mounting & balancing.

Might wanna think on that if you buy other rims.'
    To keep the rolling circumference the same with a reduction in wheel size would mean a change in aspect ratio of the tire. That changes the overall spring rate since tires do flex and contribute to this. It’s not huge, but it does affect ride and handling.
    I’ve done this on cars, usually going to a larger wheel/lower sidewall, but I’ve made suspension changes at the same time.
    Plus tire manufacturers are actually starting to limit production of anything smaller than 18”. The last time I bought rubber for the M Roadster (17” factory wheels) I found this out.
    You are correct, they were cheaper.
    On the Ridgeline I’m planning on just remounting the stock tires onto the new rims.
    Also the choices of 17” rims is somewhat limited as well compared to 18”.

I'm used to Audis which come either or. Didn't notice any diff - other than snow tires just don't handle as well as summers...

The ridgeline I use is certainly more of a truck than most of the $50k+ f150's rolling around metro Atlanta. It actually hauls stuff, tows boats and has scratches in the bed AND the paint, though the scratches in the paint are pretty minimal.

Truck snobbery really is entertaining. I'd bet easily over 80% of the trucks sold are never used for anything close to what the ridgeline can actually handle. A good number of them are towing a motorcycle trailer with the harley the owner has to tow to bike week rather than ride, but the truck is decked out in harley logos too.
    The truth. I have a 5 x 8 landscaping trailer. Many of my neighbors with their fancy trucks would never think of putting mulch or even lumber for fear of scratching/dirtying the bed liner and borrow it all the time. If you need to tow less than 5000 pounds a Ridgline is a great choice, but for me a Pilot and a landscape trailer is better.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

C'mon - all pickup trucks are purely for work, right?

Limited tire options? Ha! Try finding 14" tires rated for my Westy Vanagon.
    Steve

R.D Culler

Limited tire options? Ha! Try finding 14" tires rated for my Westy Vanagon.
    Even better - 13" for my Fiat!

Even better - 13" for my Fiat!
    I'm not looking forward to trying to find 13" tires for my Spitfire, either...probably have to go to some of the "race" tires...Coopers or Toyos. I don't think Hoosier makes any DOT rated tires.

If you can fit 205's - these are tolerable. 185/70 is what I need & good ones are expensive!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...=1&RunFlat=All

If you can fit 205's - these are tolerable. 185/70 is what I need & good ones are expensive!

Stock tire on the Ridgeline is 245/60-18. Fortunately I shouldn’t need snow tires.
    Was on tire rack and tires for it aren’t expensive, @ $125-$150 apiece.
    The 17’s were $10-$15 cheaper. Curiously snow tires for the truck are 17”. Lot fewer wheel choices in 17” though.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 10-08-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Those little donuts are expensive.