Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Default Re: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

We bought a new Ridgeline in 2014 and love it. The bed isn't nearly as worthless as some of these turkeys think it is. It just depends on what you need to haul, and unlike our SUV, it's really nice to be able to haul a load of stinky, semi-decayed yard waste to the local drop off point and hose the bed out after you get back home. With the tail gate down, a stack of 4x8 plywood sheets overhangs the gate unsupported by all of about 15". Judging by the forum "experts" here, I suppose we are supposed to be horrified by that........we aren't. I don't haul big trailers these days, but it works fine hauling our kayak trailer, our iceboat trailer or the 22' fur trade canoe on its trailer.

The old Ridgeline shape is rather strange looking (the new ones are better) but the ride is nice and it makes a great tripping vehicle for us. I originally also bought it to haul artwork, as we inherited about 300 paintings when my dad passed away, which need to be transported to shows and galleries and we didn't really want another van. Whether we're hauling framed watercolors under the bed cover, or a pile of patio pavers for the back yard, it has worked out very well for our needs. I've always had a desire to take a road trip somewhere in the T-Bird, kind of a Route 66 type thing. However, when push comes to shove, we always opt for space, capacity and comfort over style and take the Ridgeline instead.

ridgeline.jpg

Thanks Todd. Seems the folks that own them love Ďem.
    Back in 2014 when we were in Germany I saw some neat smaller pickups. VW in particular made a good looking truck. The Honda reminds me a lot of the pickups I saw over there.

9CF4F284-9B78-4F2A-B1B0-0C4D0FBC77B1.jpg
    Last edited by Reynard38; 09-27-2018 at 01:44 AM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I was impressed with the VW Amrok spec on paper, for a 2.0l engine. But, since the emissions scandal, perhaps not as good as they said.

I believe they do a V6 petrol for those places where fuel is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I was impressed with the VW Amrok spec on paper, for a 2.0l engine. But, since the emissions scandal, perhaps not as good as they said.

I believe they do a V6 petrol for those places where fuel is cheap.
    I have 3 cars (one's for sale) with Audi/VW's 2.0 TSI. An amazing engine IMO. 210-230HP out of a 2 liter, lots of torque & decent mileage. My '10 A4 quattro gets 35 MPG on the highway. VW's generally have more little issues than the Japanese cars (sensors, etc.) - but I like how they drive.

The diesel thing was stupid at best & really ticked me off - as the TDI was a great motor that could've been made really compliant - they just chose not to. VW certainly did right by the people who'd bought them though - at least here in the states.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When thinking about the 5000 towing capability of a Ridgeline, that it gross weight that includes the weight of the trailer and the load which must be balanced properly. Otherwise the tail may end up wagging the dog wth disastrous results.
    Also, check the plate on the door jamb for total gross weighting rating for the vehicle, add the weight of the vehicle to the trailer and load may not lleave much legal towing capacity. If you are towing something and run across a DOT cop or a State Trooper having a bad day, they may stop you and decide to pull out their portable scale and then you are in for a real bad day.

Iíd keep the beemer and buy an old pickup truck, drive it when I need it and save $40K plus the cost of insurance and taxes and use the money for boat building :-). I have a Toyota Tundra. Best pickup Iíve ever owned.

Towing capacity is 3500 lbs for the 2wd and 5000 for the awd. I tow and launch my boat with one all the time. It's a great vehicle and we use it for hauling brush and lumber often. For a medium duty truck it's awesome. He isn't running a business or hauling heavy boats. It's a daily driver with a decent hauling capacity and a very useful bed size. I'm used to the original version so experience with the new style is zero, but I'd certainly recommend the original for his intended use.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    When thinking about the 5000 towing capability of a Ridgeline, that it gross weight that includes the weight of the trailer and the load which must be balanced properly. Otherwise the tail may end up wagging the dog wth disastrous results.
    Also, check the plate on the door jamb for total gross weighting rating for the vehicle, add the weight of the vehicle to the trailer and load may not lleave much legal towing capacity. If you are towing something and run across a DOT cop or a State Trooper having a bad day, they may stop you and decide to pull out their portable scale and then you are in for a real bad day.

I’d keep the beemer and buy an old pickup truck, drive it when I need it and save $40K plus the cost of insurance and taxes and use the money for boat building :-). I have a Toyota Tundra. Best pickup I’ve ever owned.
    Aric, I appreciate the advice and the Tundra is a great truck, but I do not want an old pickup sitting in my driveway. I’m certain my new neighbors don’t either.
    Ive got a 3 car garage. Roadster, wife’s wagon and the Ridgeline can fit inside.
    I did a little digging. The Honda’s GCWR is 8201#. Empty weight 4242#. My heaviest boat 2610# with trailer. So 6852# combined plus my 240#in the drivers seat leaves me well short of GCWR. I can even throw in a cooler and some gear.

Now if I was pulling a 5000# load with the Ridgeline would I be exceeding the GCWR? Yes I would. But then again I’ll wager that every Bubba truck I see pulling a tandem axle equipment trailer loaded with a bobcat and a bed full of pavers is as well. I’ve seen the cops use scales on semis, I’ve never seen or heard of it happening to a non-commmercial vehicle and I know a LOT of people that tow race cars in box trailers. Heck I use to tow a 17m open class sailplane in an enclosed trailer behind a 1978 Celica! That trailer was light, but was also @ 26’ long. Got a lot of funny looks, but the cops left me alone.

6ACC372B-0015-4434-AE32-87B3169A3FFD.jpg

Anyway heres the boat in question. I relocated the axles forward to get 7.5% tongue weight. It towed really well to SC behind my friends new diesel Discovery. We used his old Defender to get it out of the shop, but that was another adventure!
    Last edited by Reynard38; 09-27-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Towing capacity is 3500 lbs for the 2wd and 5000 for the awd. I tow and launch my boat with one all the time. It's a great vehicle and we use it for hauling brush and lumber often. For a medium duty truck it's awesome. He isn't running a business or hauling heavy boats. It's a daily driver with a decent hauling capacity and a very useful bed size. I'm used to the original version so experience with the new style is zero, but I'd certainly recommend the original for his intended use.
    Thanks Tom. Didn’t realize you had one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    I considered the Ridgeline, as our mechanic also loves Hondas. But the deal breaker is no 4x4 -- just AWD, and I really really need that compound low gear in reverse. We also do some beach launching where 4x4 does better than AWD. By all reports a great vehicle!
    This review indicates that they did a pretty good job of getting around the lack of low range and locking differentials.
    https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-2...g-m-1775651261
    Its Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) sensors and ECUs are constantly monitoring wheel speed, steering angle, how fast the steering angle is changing, lateral G-forces, vehicle yaw rate (slide speed), and hydraulic clutch pressure for the right and left rear axle shafts.

That hydraulic clutch, by the way, can differentiate power between the left and right rear wheel or lock them together for soft-sand type situations.

That host of motion-monitoring tech is on all the time, and theoretically optimizes the Ridgeline’s tractability on pretty much any reasonable road surface in “normal” mode.
    "tail wagging the dog" rminded me of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-27-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I thought you were thinking of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGChssAue0

I had trucks and other stuff for hauling things for years. Then I realized that a pick -em-up from U-Haul is 19.95 a day. A DAY!
    Even if I need a truck once a month, renting is vastly more economical than owning.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Thanks Tom. Didn’t realize you had one as well.
    It's actually my parents Ridgline but that's what I use 90% of the time when I'm in NH since I can't register a vehicle in that state. The 48 truck gives a bit of a work around for having my own vehicle there but the Ridgline is a very handy and capable truck for 99% of what I (or likely you) need it for and it does it comfortably.
    Tom

Don't listen to these big pickup guys. The Ridgeline is a great vehicle. I have a Pilot, with the same drive-train and I pull a Scamp Camper (2500#) a Sea Ray power boat (3200# plus trailer.....shameful I know) and my Sea Pearl 21. I sleep in the back sometimes, and of course drive my family all over the place. We put a cargo box on top and it hauls us through the mountains skiing in the winter. I've got 140,000 miles on her and she runs and drives like new. I may someday replace her with a Ridgeline. I hate the kitchen appliance look of the new Pilots but I'd hate to give up the ability to sleep in the back. The bed in the Ridgeline is to short for a useful cap.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

One other issue to think about when towing, Towing a load with an underpowered vehicle or small vehicle often leads to premature transmission failure. The transmission in these vehicles weren’t designed to drive anything other than the car itself.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    I thought you were thinking of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiGChssAue0
    point taken. Size matters.

Weight distribution probably contributed to these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RvzVCU1wIo

Edit: I don't want to bump this thread drift to the top of the list.
    I was thinking about the first one. Smoked the transmission on that little Citroen or whatever it is.
    The rest, yup weight distribution, tongue weight and going too fast wth the load which set up the bad aerodynamic harmonics.
    =I liked your video.
    Size matters. (comment related to the little Citroen in your video that wasn't up to the task.)
    Weight distribution (while I like the 'little engine that couldn't, the the trailer fail related back to weight distribution in a somewhat entertaining, but less informative way)
    Last edited by MN Dave; 09-28-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I was thinking about the first one. Smoked the transmission on that little Citroen or whatever it is.
    The rest, yup weight distribution, tongue weight and going too fast wth the load which set up the bad aerodynamic harmonics.

One other issue to think about when towing, Towing a load with an underpowered vehicle or small vehicle often leads to premature transmission failure. The transmission in these vehicles weren’t designed to drive anything other than the car itself.
    280hp and 260tq is underpowered?
    Also the Ridgeline is equipped with dual transmission coolers as well as a host of other items for towing.

Funny in Germany we didn’t see anybody driving a full size pickup. Not one. But we did see a lot of trailers.
    Boats, campers (caravans), utility, horse, etc. The TUV (German DOT) is much stricter about trailers. Folks seemed to manage just fine without a 6.5 liter 8000 pound behemoth.

You don’t work for Toyota do you?

I enjoyed the reviews. Where I live, there are full-size American pickup trucks and then there is everything else. No doubt the Ridgeline is a well-made vehicle, resale value aside. It's not really a truck, though. As mentioned, it's a small SUV styled to appeal to the currently hot pickup truck market. Which is fine if that's what you are looking for. You don't have to sacrifice size, versatility, and power to get comfort, fuel economy and a decent ride (and a much heavier, more strongly built vehicle) to drive a pickup truck anymore. I've driven full-size GMC pickups (extended cab) as my daily driver for around twenty-five years now. I've got a fully-loaded 2015 Sierra and expect to drive it for at least the 16 years I drove the last one. The new one has all the bells and whistles and I love the backup camera. It almost makes up for the size of the truck when it comes to maneuverability. I also drive my wife's BMW 328i station wagon and there is no comparison in performance, but that's an "apples and oranges" comparison. A sports sedan is something entirely different. The truest comment above was, "the new ones aren't your father's pickup truck." That is for damn sure. My Sierra drives like a Cadillac sedan and has all the same creature comforts and actually more space. You also get the visibility in traffic that you just don't have when you are closer to the ground. As for safety, and as with boats, with trucks the "tonnage rule" applies. While it never was intended to be an economy car, the new Sierra gets good mileage for a full sized truck, about 20-22 mpg in commute driving. (The 8 cylinder engine automatically shuts down to four cylinders when the power isn't needed.)

So, while you may be in love with the Honda, before you "get married" to it, you might want to try a few "one night stands" with some full-size Ford, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge "Ammuricun Arn" before you tie the knot. I'd hate to see you go for the Honda and later think, "Gee, I coulda had a Harley!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I enjoyed the reviews. Where I live, there are full-size American pickup trucks and then there is everything else. No doubt the Ridgeline is a well-made vehicle, resale value aside. It's not really a truck, though. As mentioned, it's a small SUV styled to appeal to the currently hot pickup truck market. Which is fine if that's what you are looking for. You don't have to sacrifice size, versatility, and power to get comfort, fuel economy and a decent ride (and a much heavier, more strongly built vehicle) to drive a pickup truck anymore. I've driven full-size GMC pickups (extended cab) as my daily driver for around twenty-five years now. I've got a fully-loaded 2015 Sierra and expect to drive it for at least the 16 years I drove the last one. The new one has all the bells and whistles and I love the backup camera. It almost makes up for the size of the truck when it comes to maneuverability. I also drive my wife's BMW 328i station wagon and there is no comparison in performance, but that's an "apples and oranges" comparison. A sports sedan is something entirely different. The truest comment above was, "the new ones aren't your father's pickup truck." That is for damn sure. My Sierra drives like a Cadillac sedan and has all the same creature comforts and actually more space. You also get the visibility in traffic that you just don't have when you are closer to the ground. As for safety, and as with boats, with trucks the "tonnage rule" applies. While it never was intended to be an economy car, the new Sierra gets good mileage for a full sized truck, about 20-22 mpg in commute driving. (The 8 cylinder engine automatically shuts down to four cylinders when the power isn't needed.)

So, while you may be in love with the Honda, before you "get married" to it, you might want to try a few "one night stands" with some full-size Ford, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge "Ammuricun Arn" before you tie the knot. I'd hate to see you go for the Honda and later think, "Gee, I coulda had a Harley!"
    Well for the record I also hate Harleys. I always rode Ducati’s and BMW’s. Had a Honda too VTR1000. No comparison there either.
    Ridgeline not a truck? Even better. I hate trucks.
    And im sure the Sierra does drive like a Cadillac. Problem is I’ve driven Cadillacs. They drive like a Sierra! .
    There is no way a body on frame, solid axle vehicle is going to drive like an independently sprung unibody. If they did you’d see nascar road coarse lap times the same as an LMP car. They ain’t!

Tnis has been a very interesting thread. The owners of the Ridgeline seem very happy with the comfort, performance and reliability of their vehicles. The owners of typical full size pickups seem to be equally adamant that the Ridgeline is somehow insufficient. I absolutely appreciate the input from both sides

Oh and small world. My wife also had a 328 Wagon. Great car!

CFAAB965-DB87-4EE3-858F-28147718C65F.jpg

I'm about to pile in my full size pickup to go (hopefully) pick up a trailer. It makes complete sense to use a 6,000 lb 300HP 12MPG rig to go get a 500lb trailer - doesn't it? It's what I have & I'm not traveling far at least. Later today I'll be hauling insulation - now that'll stress out a 3/4 ton pickup! I have this big a truck because I got a great buy on it - other than when I have to move my tractor, I have no need for something this big.

How people forget the past. The loads I've towed behind Jeeps. Land Rovers & Land Cruisers (all with less than 1/2 the power of the Ridgeline) would scare many of the full-size truck guys I guess. Bob's point about a modern pickup being more comfortable than they used to be is very true - but they are still large & less sophisticated vehicles than the Ridgeline. One thing folks in the midwest & on the west coast may not get is that parking a full-size pickup in any urban area of the east is a total PITA. Parking spaces here are designed for cars - not trucks. Pulling one into a parking garage here is an exercise in frustration: of course a skilled driver can do it, but you better be watching things very carefully.

A rig with 280HP & transmission coolers will tow the loads you are looking at with absolutely no problem.

When you started this thread, I was going to comment that you'll have fun peeing off all the body on frame devotees.

I didn't know it would happen so fast.

You could also point out the vehicle you drive for work is also unibody construction, and has rather powerful engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

How people forget the past. The loads I've towed behind Jeeps. Land Rovers & Land Cruisers (all with less than 1/2 the power of the Ridgeline) would scare many of the full-size truck guys I guess. .
    There but for the grace of God go I.
    That’s why I drive with my head on a swivel. I’ve preached that to my kids also. Stay alert, Stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    When you started this thread, I was going to comment that you'll have fun peeing off all the body on frame devotees.

I didn't know it would happen so fast.

You could also point out the vehicle you drive for work is also unibody construction, and has rather powerful engines.
    It has been fun and it makes we want the Ridgeline all the more. It was always fun to tow the Coquina with the BMW. At the ramp I’d frequently get a Brodozer driver commenting “you need a truck”. I’d ask why? Never got a logical response.

The whole big truck thing is about marketing. Ad agencies have convinced folks they aren’t manly enough if they’d buy a brand X truck. I get than some people need one. Big boat, equipment trailer etc.
    i do see a lot of them where I currently live in Suburbitopia. Not a spec of dirt, not a scratch in the bed taking up 2 spaces at Starbucks.
    lIt was curious to me in Germany how they were not in existence, yet the plumbers, carpenters, painters all seemed to function. They seemed to drive small vanlike vehicles that were easier to load, more secure and could carry long loads on the roof. Made a lot of sense. Got passed by one, a plumber on the Autobahn near Fussen that was going just over 100mph.

Good point about my work vehicle. Hard to put a hitch on it though. Did tow gliders way back when though.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 09-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Default Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Some might be surprised by just how small a vehicle will tow a rather large load. The fact is, getting something rolling takes a lot less size and power than some may realize ( or admit.)

Now, stopping a load in a hurry is a different story. You don't want to need to stop quick with a borderline size tow vehicle.

This is not what Reynard is suggesting for use, however, so this vehicle should serve him well.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just got back from the lumber yard with six - 16 foot 2 X 6's strapped to the rack of my crappy Ridgeline.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

IMGP0071.jpg

I was pretty shocked how big the new Toyota Hi-Lux is, much bigger and far more powerfull than both of my old Range Rovers, but they had no problen towing 3.5 ton loads around Europe. Driver license qualifications allow for different weight catagorys, but generally in EU, 3.5ton is as much that is allowed on a standard car license,behind a non commercial vehicle. It still cracks me up to see full on Yankee pick-ups towing things like a West Wight Potter, that even a Toyota Yaris would have no problem with.

MVC-002S.JPG

Theres quite a lot of American F series and Chevs here in Sweden, i would have even looked at an old Surburban, but for the sheer size, it wont fit in a normal parking space, would have been a good workhorse, but given up on that towing due to restrictive insurance.

We have an older Suburban that I wasn't so sure about when it turned up in the driveway (it came with my lovely wife along with the Miata and 2 young adult daughters) much like the girls, the 'burb has grown on me. Seats 7 comfortably but when needed it will swallow a bunch of 4x8 plywood sheets and keep them out of the rain on the way home, not a small matter here in the Greyt Northwet for 9 months of the year.

If one were hauling full-sized sheet goods all the time then I guess a full-sized pickup bed would be in order but realistically unless you are a drywaller or framer it's mostly wasted space. Most of the fellows in my circle lean towards the Toyota Tundra or Tacoma.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

there's a lot of big trucks around that have only ever hauled a few groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    We have an older Suburban that I wasn't so sure about when it turned up in the driveway (it came with my lovely wife along with the Miata and 2 young adult daughters) much like the girls, the 'burb has grown on me. Seats 7 comfortably but when needed it will swallow a bunch of 4x8 plywood sheets and keep them out of the rain on the way home, not a small matter here in the Greyt Northwet for 9 months of the year.

If one were hauling full-sized sheet goods all the time then I guess a full-sized pickup bed would be in order but realistically unless you are a drywaller or framer it's mostly wasted space. Most of the fellows in my circle lean towards the Toyota Tundra or Tacoma.
    Around here most drywallers and framers have the materials delivered. If you take his list of needs along with what he is planning on towing a full size truck is really overkill and the ridgeline fits the bill nicely. I use one for exactly his intended use and honestly it's probably a lot more vehicle than it needs to be for that.
    Tom

Just checked, the GCWR I posted was for the 2WD model. For the 4WD it’s 9986#, so a 5000# trailer shouldn’t incite any angst from the State Patrol.

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2018/Ridgeline/specs#mid^YK3F7JKNW

And a good video of some maximum capacity towing.

Last edited by Reynard38; 09-30-2018 at 06:43 PM.

[QUOTE=Reynard38;5686737]Just checked, the GCWR I posted was for the 2WD model. For the 4WD it’s 9986#, so a 5000# trailer shouldn’t incite any angst from the State Patrol.

Just remember what Breakaway said earlier, it’s not the starting the load rolling, but stopping it safely on a grade or quickly that is the critical issue. That consists of several key elements, mass of tow vehicle, braking ability (size of brakes and tire condition), weight distribution (balancing the load) and weather conditions. It’s been my experience that balance is more important than gross weight of the load and trailer. These numbers are sort of like the mpg stickers on the window sticker. We rarely encounter ideal conditions in the real world,

This is law of moving large objects. Whether you move it 1 time or 1000 times the requirements are the same.

Hence, this is one of the reasons full size pickups have all the creature comforts of lighter duty sedans. Creature comforts and smooth ride and the mass when you need it. This gives you a greater margin of safety in an emergency or poor weather conditions.

Or the other option is save money and buy and old pickup and use it only when you need the mass and save the money.

If I've read the #'s correctly in the various posts, the weight of the Ridgeline will be at least double that of any load he's hauling - so that should be quite safe. In fact, if brakes were added to any trailer, it'd be no problem at all. I regularly haul a trailer that weighs more loaded than my 3/4 ton truck.

Or how about this option.
    I buy a vehicle that will fulfil all my needs, is reliable, gets reasonable mpg, drives like a proper car, will easily and safely haul my boats, fit in my garage and not be an eyesore in my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If I've read the #'s correctly in the various posts, the weight of the Ridgeline will be at least double that of any load he's hauling - so that should be quite safe. In fact, if brakes were added to any trailer, it'd be no problem at all. I regularly haul a trailer that weighs more loaded than my 3/4 ton truck.
    Both the catboat and the Rambler trailers have brakes. Discs in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Both the catboat and the Rambler trailers have brakes. Discs in fact.
    Well then all this is a non-issue! But you knew that already, dintcha?