Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Default Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

Boat related in that itíll tow my boats so Iíll post this here.
    For the record I really donít like pickup trucks. Donít like the way they look. Donít like the way they drive, donít like their oversized proportions.
    However being a person that builds boats, a new home needing a lot of landscaping, bookshelves and of course a new shop to outfit a truck is a practical choice.

So a few months ago I was fortunate to be in NYC at the same time the auto show was on. Cool way to spend a day. A friend that also hates pickups suggested I take a look at the Honda Ridgeline. ďItís a truckĒ I responded. He explained about it being a unibody, independent suspension. Doesnít drive like a truck.

Well I did go by the Honda display and check one out. Pretty nice. Not too big, really nice interior. Cool features.

Finally got around to test driving one the other day. Gotta say if you had blindfolded me, sat me in it and covered over the rear window Iíd have thought I was driving a nice sedan. Quiet, comfortable, good handling. None of that body-on-frame shimmy that other trucks experience after every bump. Honda does infotainment right as well. Great Apple play interface.

Talked to my mechanic that Iíve been using for 20years. He only works on German stuff, but he couldnít say enough good things about the Ridgeline. The drivetrain isnt very high tech. NA V6 and a 6 speed autobox, but theyíve been building those for a long time and they are proven reliable.

Iíd get the RTLE trim level. AWD. Talking to a few dealers now. I like the Forest Mist green color.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Thinking of a new tow vehicle/daily driver.

You meet the nicest people in Hondas.

Post pics... preferably parked in front of the shop with the boat behind. Oooh!

Peace,
    Robert

Ford F-250 diesel. Towed Dragons back and forth from the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes many times with never a mechanical issue. 260K+ miles on her and I wouldn't sell her for anything but crazy money. This truck has been on many boat trips with me over the years, from Rochester to Key West.

There's nothing like a good truck.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Man they do hold thier value well. I can buy a new 2019 for @ $40.5k.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Ford F-250 diesel. Towed Dragons back and forth from the Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes many times with never a mechanical issue. 260K+ miles on her and I wouldn't sell her for anything but crazy money. This truck has been on many boat trips with me over the years, from Rochester to Key West.

There's nothing like a good truck.

Mickey Lake
    That’s a big truck. Brodozer proportions.
    Do you daily drive it?
    The Honda was easy to park and maneuver. Also fits in the double depth garage with my M Roadster.

How was visibility out of the Ridgeline for backing? We have an Element...a predecessor which we have 200K+ miles on with no problems, but I've wondered about the vis with the Ridgeline. I'm also thinking (and leaning toward) the Tacoma from Toyota. A little smaller, about the same size bed and rear wheel drive which I prefer (unless I go AWD).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    How was visibility out of the Ridgeline for backing? We have an Element...a predecessor which we have 200K+ miles on with no problems, but I've wondered about the vis with the Ridgeline. I'm also thinking (and leaning toward) the Tacoma from Toyota. A little smaller, about the same size bed and rear wheel drive which I prefer (unless I go AWD).
    Very good for a truck. Also has the backup camera which helps a great deal.
    Of course Honda gave up the “flying buttress” design on the Ridgeline a few years ago which helped a lot.

Because I'm nearly vehicle ignorant, I had to google up an image of the Honda Ridgeline. That's not a truck. That's an SUV with a trunk that has no cover. Forget carrying plywood or other building supplies and doubly forget hauling a load of compost. If your cargo needs are only now and then, consider getting an suv something or other and a nice cargo trailer.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Because I'm nearly vehicle ignorant, I had to google up an image of the Honda Ridgeline. That's not a truck. That's an SUV with a trunk that has no cover. Forget carrying plywood or other building supplies and doubly forget hauling a load of compost. If your cargo needs are only now and then, consider getting an suv something or other and a nice cargo trailer.

Jeff
    Kinda my reaction, also. But I have specific needs. I test drove one a while back, and was impressed with the vehicle. I'd like to someday downsize from the current Tundra CrewCab. But the Ridgeline doesn't offer something key to me... a long-bed. I like to put a canopy on, and sleep back there. Plus, I regularly carry 4X8 sheets of marine plywood and other panel product. So short-beds are a non-starter for me. I have racks up top, and have carried spars almost 30' long... but getting plywood up and down to the racks is a major hassle. For lots of folks, though, I can see it having a lot of utility, esp. with a rack on top for carrying longer stuff.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If you can’t carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood and dimensional 2x8x12 lumber you get from the sawmill in it then the vehicle is worthless to serve the purpose of building anything.

The Ridgeline is a fine vehicle. I have a 2008. I prefer the older body style myself. The bed is only 5 foot, but you can haul 4X8 sheets with the tailgate down.
    There is a huge trunk under the bed for lockable storage and the spare tire - great feature. Towing capacity is 500 pounds. The rear doors are full size.
    Lots of nice features on this truck. If I have one complaint it would be gas mileage - 18 to 20mpg.

RIDGELINE = SUV(CRV) w/ a birth defect

might as well get the SUV/CRV if a HONDA is what you want & then you'd have covered storage

either way you wont be towing much

just this old F-350 and a Cherokee owner's 2Ę worth

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Jeff
    The reaction from truck owners is one reason I like the Ridgeline.
    With the tailgate down the bed is wide enough to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood. No wheel wells in the way. Check the specs.
    And why can’t it carry a load of mulch?

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    RIDGELINE = SUV(CRV) w/ a birth defect

might as well get the SUV/CRV if a HONDA is what you want & then you'd have covered storage

either way you wont be towing much

just this old F-350 and a Cherokee owner's 2Ę worth

sw
    AWD version tows 5000#. My heaviest boat is 1810.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    If you can’t carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood and dimensional 2x8x12 lumber you get from the sawmill in it then the vehicle is worthless to serve the purpose of building anything.
    It can carry 4x8 sheets in the bed with the tailgate down.
    Factory option roof rails and cross bars. A homemade cross bar at the back of the bed would make it a snap to carry long lumber, but I’ve always found my trailex Whitehall trailer is easier. Carried the white oak keel timber for the Rambler home on it behind a BMW. Got some funny looks from the Bubba Truck drovers.

Looks like you have your heart set on a Ridgeline. Definition: Ridgeline: an overpriced SUV designed for people who think pickup trucks are cool, but are horrified at the thought of their friends and neighbors knowing they own a pickup truck.
    Ya know I could really carry cargo like a pickup truck if I really wanted to! The salesman said so. :-)

Reynard, I apologize. I re-read your OP and now realize that you were not asking for anyone's opinion. I'm sure that you will be happy with your new vehicle.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    The Ridgeline is a fine vehicle. I have a 2008. I prefer the older body style myself. The bed is only 5 foot, but you can haul 4X8 sheets with the tailgate down.
    There is a huge trunk under the bed for lockable storage and the spare tire - great feature. Towing capacity is 500 pounds. The rear doors are full size.
    Lots of nice features on this truck. If I have one complaint it would be gas mileage - 18 to 20mpg.
    500 pounds towing capacity isn't much.

I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 V8. Its the best vehicle I've ever had. 311hp n/a V8, 6spd double overdrive transmission. 5,000lbs towing capacity, and room for 7, all in a very flexible, comfortable, and of course safe, package. My wife drives it most, and we average around 17mpg. Easily gets 22mpg on the highway. I towed a Mac26X (yeah yeah yeah) from sea level up and over a pass to a highland lake, and back again. That's about 2800lbs of boat, plus 4 people and gear for 5 days. Averaged about 13mpg on that trip. Its Swedish, so if you're used to finicky german cars, you'll be right at home.

Volvo made the V8 XC90 from '05 to '10. Great rigs. I highly recommend them.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by Arlc View Post
    Looks like you have your heart set on a Ridgeline. Definition: Ridgeline: an overpriced SUV designed for people who think pickup trucks are cool, but are horrified at the thought of their friends and neighbors knowing they own a pickup truck.
    Ya know I could really carry cargo like a pickup truck if I really wanted to! The salesman said so. :-)
    Aric, thanks for confirming that I’m buying the correct vehicle. The more comments like your helps my decision!
    Once again and for the record I really don’t like pickup trucks. In fact I really loathe full size pickups. I like the Ridgeline because it isn’t like other pickups.
    I’m not using the Ridgeline for my work. I don’t have to haul 9 tons of trailer or carry a ton of bricks in the bed. It will be a daily driver, boat puller and used to get supplies for Home and shop.
    And I live in the south. Nobody here is horrified about owning a pickup. Heck a lot of them cost a heck of a lot more than my wife’s BMW or my old 911.

The more
    Last edited by Reynard38; 09-25-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Reynard, I apologize. I re-read your OP and now realize that you were not asking for anyone's opinion. I'm sure that you will be happy with your new vehicle.

Jeff
    Hey, no sweat. Was hoping to hear from an owner on the forum, and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    500 pounds towing capacity isn't much.
    Think he meant 5000#, unless the rules are a LOT different where he resides.

very happy with my 08 ridgeline.
    470K.
    great truck, really, really great in snow.
    if bed is too small, use a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by colin11235 View Post
    very happy with my 08 ridgeline.
    470K.
    great truck, really, really great in snow.
    if bed is too small, use a trailer.
    470k? Holy high mileage.
    Even if that’s kilometers it’s still impressive!

wait! you're going from a sports sedan/ sports car daily driver to a pickup truck???

you really are headed to the low country. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Not trying to sway the OP, just adding my 2c. I've always owned sedans, I like them. My wife likes SUVs, and she likes me to drive. In the last couple of years I've driven a rented Ford F-150 and a couple of Dodge Rams whose owners had had a few drinks. Both the Ford and Dodge ride and drive beautifully, like a powerful luxury car. This isn't your father's pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    wait! you're going from a sports sedan/ sports car daily driver to a pickup truck???

you really are headed to the low country. . .
    Paul I’ll be parting with my 2001 330i. Best $9000 car I’ve ever owned. 170k, runs like a Swiss watch, but cosmetically getting a bit long in the tooth. My mechanic here in ATL wants it for his loaner fleet.
    I’m keeping my 2001 M Roadster. No way I’ll part with it. Gotta have a sportscar with a stick, at least until somebody makes an electric, 2 seat ragtop with a 400 mile range that doesn’t cost megabucks. So I’ll have it for a while longer!

Reynard enjoy your new Ridgeline.
    Some people don't get it. That's OK - at first glance I thought the thing was kinda goofy from a distance too... Once I started checking them out and test drove and then bought mine, my opinion changed drastically.
    I love it. Nobody else has to. I think it's the best vehicle I have ever owned.
    (and yes, that is 5000 pounds towing, jeez)

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Not trying to sway the OP, just adding my 2c. I've always owned sedans, I like them. My wife likes SUVs, and she likes me to drive. In the last couple of years I've driven a rented Ford F-150 and a couple of Dodge Rams whose owners had had a few drinks. Both the Ford and Dodge ride and drive beautifully, like a powerful luxury car. This isn't your father's pickup.
    Always been a sedan guy too. Several BMW’s, and Audi and an old diesel Mercedes (great car).
    As to the new trucks No doubt they are nice, but they are also big. Too big for my purposes. I’ve driven them as well. The Honda is in another class for ride quality and handling. Unibody and independent suspension. Something I won’t mind driving every day and won’t feel too unlike what I’m used to.

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Reynard enjoy your new Ridgeline.
    Some people don't get it. That's OK - at first glance I thought the thing was kinda goofy from a distance too... Once I started checking them out and test drove and then bought mine, my opinion changed drastically.
    I love it. Nobody else has to. I think it's the best vehicle I have ever owned.
    (and yes, that is 5000 pounds towing, jeez)
    Thanks.
    Mentioning a Ridgeline to the Brodozer crowd is as devisive as epoxy to parts of this forum!
    Makes me want the Honda even more.
    And SC allows 7 letters on a personalized tag. I’m hoping UNTRUCK is still available.

I get not wanting a pickup. While I have one - it's 'cause I haul an 8000 lb trailer sometimes & live in the boonies - well country anyway. I simply don't drive it unless I need to haul something.

If optioned correctly, the Ridgeline has a 5000 lb. towing capacity. Unless you really need the hauling ability of a pickup, it does not make sense as a daily driver: lousy mileage, less comfortable ride, PITA to park in town, etc. I can see how a 5' bed could haul enough mulch, sand, etc. or an occasional sheet of plywood or 2x4s. If you have a rack, you can tie up to it from long wood - so I'm sure you could haul 12 footers - as long as it's not too many.

Makes a lot more sense than the Cadillac/Lincoln SUV/pickups!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I considered the Ridgeline, as our mechanic also loves Hondas. But the deal breaker is no 4x4 -- just AWD, and I really really need that compound low gear in reverse. We also do some beach launching where 4x4 does better than AWD. By all reports a great vehicle!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thats a popular size pick-up double cab in Europe. Nissan Navara, Misubishi L200, Izuzu and the legendary Toyota Hi-Lux. All of which can be used as daily drivers, some even get better than 45mpg, yet still tow 3.5ton. American cheap fuel has lead to much of your transport being oversize.
    I have driven/towed with a Dodge diesel, it was effortless, but outside of working it commercially, too expensive to operate, at least here in Volvo land.