Thread: Paulsbo boat

Default Re: Paulsbo boat

Pretty!

Gib, interesting boat. All though I don't think I would care for sitting next to the exhaust muffler.

There used to be a lot of them around the Gulf Islands back when many folks didn't even have cars. Now I see one rotting away from time to time.

Ronald Young of Poulsbo, Washington built small inboard and outboard powered boats which became favorites for fishing and working on Puget Sound. Their characteristic swooping sheer lines and generous tumblehome were once well known from Olympia to the San Juan Islands. These boats were built two at a time in Young’s shop on the water in Poulsbo. They were sold unfinished on a cash and carry basis. About 900 were produced between 1933 and 1965, each built by Ron or his son, Gordon. The boat owned by CWB is likely one of about 50 that still exist.

Worth noting that plans for both the 16' and 18' versions of the Poulsbo Boat were published back in the late 70s and at least a few boats were built from them by other shops at that time. When I was working in the Wooden Boat Shop in Seattle back in 1981 or so there was one being built there. Not sure if the plans are still available though. Somewhere I still have a set. Probably in my Dad's house in Maine.

Local legend Marty Loken and his Poulsbo Boat.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Pretty!
    Agreed! I've liked this design since seeing it in the "Small Boat Journal" quite a few years back. Apparently able too, although it's hard for me to embrace 'glass over what looks like traditional construction.

There is an especially beautiful six metre for sale in Poulsbo right now. If I could just hit that lottery, I could pick up a Grand Wagoneer, take a semi-permanent room at the Poulsbo Inn, and spend three or four splendid weekends a year in the PNW.

And I would!

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.