Thread: Allegra 24 Plans?

Default Allegra 24 Plans?

Just returned from the wooden boat show in Port Townsend with an itch to build a small blue water capable sailboat. My initial search led me to the Flicka 20, a great looking boat, and on to the Allegra 24. Based on the review at bluewaterboats.org the Allegra meets all my criteria including 6'1" headroom. I want to build a strip plank version and I'm hoping plans are available somewhere. So far I haven't found a source. Would much appreciate any info regarding this boat.

Thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by trcrawfish; 09-22-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Default Re: Allegra 24 Plans?

Bruce Bingham, the designer, might possibly be contacted through this guy: http://www.flicka20-wookie.com/bruce...ie-march-2018/
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

If not the Allegra, the Glen L Amigo

https://www.boatdesigns.com/22-Amigo.../products/423/

Thanks for the info. The Amigo looks like a viable alternative. I like the lighter displacement and the gaff rig option. Best of all, plans are available. I would want to modify the shape of the stem slightly, to be more like the Allegra or Flicka. My online searches for Allegra plans have so far proved fruitless. I know plans were available back in 2006, for $315, from an advertisement in Rudder magazine. However, I've seen lots of posts like mine going unanswered. I also like the Dana 24 and the Falmouth Cutter 22, but they are much heavier and I haven't been able to source the plans for either boat. I'm still hoping for a lead as my preference is for a small cutter.

Best,

Tim
    Last edited by trcrawfish; 09-25-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Allegra's are glass and were popped out of a mold and then sold to a number of boat shops for finishing. Don't think you're gonna find any plans for them in wood.

I might suggest the Chuck Paine's Francis, a 26 foot double ender. Plans are available for strip and cold molded versions. She's been built with a variety of cabin and cabin top configurations. They are also pretty.

frances26-lines.jpg

francis short.jpg

5469711_20160204065721947_1_XLARGE.jpg

FRANCES-FLASH.jpg

1910078_1.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post

Ooh. Thatís a neat looking boat.

Peace,
    Robert

or one of the 22, 24, or 26 foot gartsides. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

These are all great suggestions. Yes, sadly the boats I mentioned are designed for fiberglass. I was thinking I could use the hull lines and adapt for wood. Probably a silly idea considering the effort involved and my personal lack of experience. I have only built one boat to date. Now I can see there are some great options I wasn't aware of. Thanks again!

Roger Long has a design for 23 foot cutter similar in shape to an Allegra: http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/Boats.htm#23Cutter
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

It seems my desired cabin height will have to be reduced, or I'll have to look at larger designs. All the suggestions are great, but the Roger Long cutter is the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye. More importantly it has a beam of 8'6" and a displacement under 8,000lbs. Technically trailerable. As far as I can tell the design has never been built, so there is no point of reference as to performance under sail. This will not be an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Bruce Bingham, the designer, might possibly be contacted through this guy: http://www.flicka20-wookie.com/bruce...ie-march-2018/
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Allegra's are glass and were popped out of a mold and then sold to a number of boat shops for finishing. Don't think you're gonna find any plans for them in wood.
    Fred P. Bingham's Practical Yacht Joinery features the Allegra 24 in the appendix and describes as having "blood lines" that go back to Flicka, but the design in credited to Fred (Bruce Bingham's father) and Nelson Zimmer. It indicates quite a few were built by amateurs mostly in C-Flex (fiberglass) but that the hull could also be built in wood (cold molded or strip planked). The book doesn't have any construction drawings though.

Wynfall is a nice design. It's a bigger boat, which is a plus if it still fits your budget, goals and aesthetics, and has a centerboard for swearing by or at.

I emailed Roger for more information regarding the #23 cutter. He said he was retired and no longer actively designing or selling plans. However, he went on to say he felt this hull design would benefit from a couple extra feet in length, keeping the beam as is. Such a change would also allow for an increase in cabin headroom and add about 1,000lbs to the displacement. He is not in a position to draw a revised set of plans, but he offered to help me find someone who can and is willing to supervise such a project by email. I'm buying the current set of plans to review in detail before I go further.

The Wynfall is also a lovely design, my second choice. I'd go for the original version without the centerboard.

May I recommend Antonio Dias's excellent Kathleen Gee design, 24 ft, 6' headroom, cutter or yawl rig.kathleen-gee-yawl-sail-plan-illustr.jpg

kathleen-gee-cutter-sail-plan-no-pram.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

A lovely boat, the drawings alone are a work of art. How far along are you with the building process?

Vivier's Koalen 24 might be added to the mix...http://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/koalen-26-2/

Only available in a kit, but that might be ok.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I got hooked on Wynfall many, many years ago. She's far beyond my resources to build, but what a gorgeous boat.

Quote Originally Posted by trcrawfish View Post
    A lovely boat, the drawings alone are a work of art. How far along are you with the building process?
    I won't be building her, I have developed a brain cancer which has made future planning difficult and the treatments (chemo) have rendered me too tired to consider a big build. Disappointing !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I won't be building her, I have developed a brain cancer which has made future planning difficult and the treatments (chemo) have rendered me too tired to consider a big build. Disappointing !
    Disappointing is an understatement. I sincerely hope you can beat it. Kathleen Gee is a wonderful design. Deeper and slightly narrower than most of the hulls I've looked at. I'm especially impressed with the interior layout. Another plus is the strip plank construction plan. So many boats, so little time.

I'm sorry to hear that Peter. Fight on!...