Thread: TotalBoat Fixwood Repair Epoxy Putty

Default TotalBoat Fixwood Repair Epoxy Putty

OK guys, seems how my CPES first adventure did not go so well I figure I better ask about tips using TotalBoat Fixwood Repair Epoxy Putty. What can you all tell me before I screw up this first attempt?

Default Re: TotalBoat Fixwood Repair Epoxy Putty

What are you trying to fix?

Photos would help. Without seeing, I would be inclined to say that you might be better with a graving piece, or dutchman.
    Steve Martinsen

Tomorrow I should be able to post pics from my other computer. I'm fixing various spots of rotting wood around my project boat. Digging out the rot, coating with CPES and then patching with the putty. Larger areas I'm cutting out and replacing the wood.

I'm going to patch this hole for example. My question was more in regards to mixing, handling, cure etc. When I did the penetrating epoxy it kicked off on me in a very short time and from that post I got a lot of information on application.20180831_163037.jpg

Not that you asked this question but...if it were me I’d take a heat gun to that paint to see how far the rot has spread before making a localized repair.
    Simon

You need to dig out all the rot and then some, at least a couple inches beyond the soft punky stuff or you are wasting your time putting anything in there.

Could you post more details about the boat, maybe more pictures too? I second the suggestions that you explore the extent of the rot before attempting any patching. Strip off paint in the affected area. Be ruthless in finding the full extent of the rot. You may need to do more than patch. Am I right in guessing this is a sail?

Thanks guys, I have actually decided to replace that area instead of patching with the putty. My post was more about insight about the mixing and application of the putty. I had some issues with the CPES and learned a lot after the fact about cooling and large mixing containers.

I am working on a 1972 Grand Banks 42 Classic woody. She has been on the hard for 4 years plus at least one additional year of neglect. Working on all the standard grand banks superstructure issues and getting her back in the water in the spring. I need to start a rebuild thread.