Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best type of bilge pump for an open boat ?

Default Re: What's the best type of bilge pump for an open boat ?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    About $250 here! Yikes!

Rick
    Ever leave your boat unattended? Do you value your sleep?

I'd like to have a go at making a reed switch, there are plenty of youtube tutorials on the subject.

I got three lift pumps, two plastic balers, and a couple grout sponges. Grout sponges really soak up water quickly, and get into the crannies well.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

I'd like to have a go at making a reed switch, there are plenty of youtube tutorials on the subject.
    Give me strength.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

Then youve got to think about how long your battery will last. Suppose a fastener corrodes out, or a hose pops off a skin fitting, or your dripless stern gland fails, or a downpour lowers the hull so that open seams start letting in water. You visit the boat, weekly, fortnightly, every 2 or 3 days? Battery capacity divided by pump amps at WOT? Still sleeping?

The Lunenberg Foundry makes a great dory bailer that is very efficient for slinging water out of the bilge and over the rail.
    Jay

I keep a 17' dory skiff on a mooring that is shaped like a funnel,so a little rain means a lot of water. I use the pump that cycles every 2 minutes and am going on the forth year with no problems. I was worried about the battery life but it is not an issue. I don't bother running down after a rain anymore as there is never any water in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Christie View Post

The electronic switches run every couple of minutes, if they sense resistance, water, they continue to run until the resistance is gone.
    If in a seaway and taking on water, I don't much like the idea of waiting two minutes for de-watering to begin...
    Have you tried turning it off and on? Seriously it works, the pump "senses" as soon as it's energised and pumps any water out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Have you tried turning it off and on? Seriously it works, the pump "senses" as soon as it's energised and pumps any water out.
    I haven't tried it because I don't have one.
    But I like the idea.
    Except, bilge pumps are often wired directly to the battery.
    Although, if installed through a switch, manual "ON" should be an option anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

There are two schools of thought over hard wiring the bilge pump. I'm in the don't hard wire camp, which is the minority, but I do agree with bypassing the 1/2/off switch.

I'd especially like a switch for these "sensing every 2 1/2 minute" pumps. If you wanted peace and quiet, or you hauled the boat.

interesting thread, I have the same question

In addition to a scoop, a bucket, a hand pump, and a sponge, I found a little wind-powered pump that rigs off the mooring really works. I think that it is sold under the trade name Drainman. It doesn't use electricity, but pumps whenever the wind, current, or tide stretches the mooring line, so it works even when you aren't there. I found it to be just the thing for keeping rainwater out of the bilge.

My battery is about a foot ahead of the transom, when I put in the drain plug goes in and the pump gets turned on, when hauling I pull the drain and switch off the pump. I did forget to pull plug and switch off one time and a week later during a rainy day I looked out and the pump was pumping away in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by jseymour View Post
    sold under the trade name Drainman..
    That's brilliant! Whee did you get yours? I see they don't have a US distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Then youve got to think about how long your battery will last. Suppose a fastener corrodes out, or a hose pops off a skin fitting, or your dripless stern gland fails, or a downpour lowers the hull so that open seams start letting in water. You visit the boat, weekly, fortnightly, every 2 or 3 days? Battery capacity divided by pump amps at WOT? Still sleeping?
    Solar top up.
    Make electrical connections properly, and check them.
    So if a skin fitting pops, what's your point? Better not to have an electrical bilge pump?
    Stern gland unlikely to gush when stationary, unless catastrophic corrosion there in the first place.
    An adequate cover?

Yes thanks. I have on previous boats had 2 pumps mounted above each other, the second triggers an audible alarm above deck, with friendly neighbours informed and given keys to enter and investigate. On Kate I hope to have a GSM system triggered by the pumps, fire alarm and intruder sensor, but she is a little different to Peters 'Jim'. I also have 2 engine driven clutch pumps which can push 40 tonnes an hour if the engines can be started.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Give me strength.

Rick

Are you averse to DIY and saving money? Do your own research into bilge pump switch failure rates based on type. I've done mine.

I will probably buy the Ultras, as they have worked out the glitches and at the moment my wallet is fat, but it makes sense for a lot of people to better the crappy float switches with a ball bearing in them if they have time and are on a budget.

I think I got mine from Jamestown Distributer. I just checked, and they sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    That's brilliant! Whee did you get yours? I see they don't have a US distributor.
    I think I got mine from Jamestown Distributer. I just checked and they have them.

Quote Originally Posted by jseymour View Post
    I think I got mine from Jamestown Distributer. I just checked and they have them.
    Thanks! I'll look thru their website. They didn't show up as a "US DISTRIBUTOR" on the Unimer Marine site.

Hmmmm....jseymour, might you have a link? I looked under "Drainman", "Pump" and "drain" with no results on their online catalog.

Hmmmm....jseymour, might you have a link? I looked under "Drainman", "Pump" and "drain" with no results on their online catalog.
    Of course, here it is:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?pid=63254

Joe

I see why it didn't pop up in the search. The link says; "This Item No Longer Available". Guess I'll have to dummy one up with an aquarium pump and some webbing. Worth a try

I see why it didn't pop up in the search. The link says; "This Item No Longer Available". Guess I'll have to dummy one up with an aquarium pump and some webbing. Worth a try
    Try Cape Hatteras Marine.

I guess that they didn't sell enough of them. It seems like a sound design, and it is very simple. It seems to me that a small windmill might also work as a concept. No batteries, no wires-- a cylinder of PVC with a piston, a differential, and a wind vane.

Thanks! Hatteras is a new one for me and they appear to have them

British firm Simpson Lawrence used to make a range of centrifugal pumps known as the Vortex, a small one for dinghies with its handle on its side & a large bilge mounted one, this had its own strum box & was operated by a vertical tram style handle that went through a thwart into the top of the pump. The impeller was geared up through a compound gearbox to approx 20-1. The whole lot including the gearbox was beautifully built from gunmetal. The vortex had a 1.5" outlet & with a strong man winding the handle could shift a huge amount of water very fast. You dont see many now as most got scrapped but if you should find one they are the king of bilge pumps. I had one on my 21ft rye beach boat & only used it in anger once when we nearly capsized her & shipped a lot of water. That pump cleared her in no time.