Thread: Recommendations for a week in Maine in early October?

Default Recommendations for a week in Maine in early October?

Hey folks, I'll be in NH/southern ME in October mostly visiting family but will have Monday-Thursday to travel a bit and recreate. Acadia seems like a no brainer, and we could easily fill 4 days there I suspect, but wondering if there are any other "don't miss" boaty/maritime things to see in say the Rockland to Acadia area. A visit to the mecca at WB School would also seem to be a no-brainer, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything to do there in October, at least according to the website.

Thanks for any advice.
    Scott

Default Re: Recommendations for a week in Maine in early October?

In order:
    -Maine Maritime Museum in Bath
    -Ernestina Morrissey at Boothbay Harbor Shipyard (a big schooner restoration, call ahead for permission to view up close)
    -Rockland Apprenticeshop
    -Bluejacket Ship Models, Searsport
    -Great Harbor Maritime Museum (Northeast Harbor). Very small but still interesting
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

you could spend all those four days digging through places like hulls cove tool barn or liberty tool or capt. tinkham's in searsport, if hand tools is something you'd use..

i also enjoyed the very small town museum in belfast, and it's a good place to be for lunch or dinner..
    and if you don't get to take the time to drive all the way up to acadia, a ferry trip out to monhegan island is a nice way to spend a day wandering around small town/some nature

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Penobscot Marine Museum (https://penobscotmarinemuseum.org/) in Searsport. They have one of the best collections of small boats in the state.

Benson

The Andrew Wyeth exhibit (not strictly boat/maritime) at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland is worth visiting.

[QUOTE=rbgarr;5676147]In order:
    -Maine Maritime Museum in Bath
    -Ernestina Morrissey at Boothbay Harbor Shipyard (a big schooner restoration, call ahead for permission to view up close)
    -Rockland Apprenticeshop
    -Bluejacket Ship Models, Searsport
    -Great Harbor Maritime Museum (Northeast Harbor). Very small but still interesting[/QUOTe

The Ernestina Morrissey has a huge website documenting her 124 year history and rebuilding http://www.ernestina.org/

Thanks, great ideas,much appreciated. Looks like if we take Hwy 1 instead of the Interstate we will have many more great options than time.

Another vote for Maine Maritime Museum in Bath. Go on one of the boat tours - the one hour tours are really interesting if you want to learn about Bath Iron Works and guided missile destroyers, as well as a couple of local light houses. The longer afternoon tours go into the ocean and over to Sheepscot Bay and maybe Boothbay ... and they're simply beautiful. Full disclosure: I work on the tour boat. But it's legitimately a great way to see the area from the water, and it's a beautiful area.

Oh, and if you get lucky you'll see the USS Thomas Hudner sail away - she's basically finished and scheduled to leave BIW around 10/10 ... always a neat event when a completed destroyer heads down the Kennebec River en route her home port.
    Last edited by Bark; 09-19-2018 at 08:34 PM.

If you like tools, (we all like tools, don’t we) you could stop in to Shelter Tools in Woolwich and Lie-Nielsen Toolworks in Warren.

https://www.shelterinstitute.com/shop/cat/tools/

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/

If you do make it up to WoodenBoat in Brooklin I might still be up there working. I’m helping to build a house just down the road.

Bark is right; Definitely get offshore. Either the tour boat or Google if there might be a day charter available

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Zucker View Post
    Google if there might be a day charter available
    I'll put in a plug for my friend Bruce White if you're up for a private boat tour. He's midcoast Maine's SeaTow franchise operator and knows what he's doing. Nice boat, too: http://www.hayvalcharters.com/
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Ride your bikes around Schoodic Point

If you want to sample some the best of Maine, Acadia National park is really good... If Bicycles are in the picture the "carriage roads" in the park are superb and car free. If you can get that far east it is worth it. http://bicycletouringoncarfreepaths....age_Roads.html (they rent good bicycles in Bar Harbor) Or just a casual stroll around "Jordan Pond" there is good restaraunt that is open until late Oct. If not any of that just a drive around the loop road and up to the top of Cadillac Mountain for the view. Mt Desert Island was "discovered" by Samuel de Champlain, 1604?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Desert_Island

(My family has lived in the same town not far from there since 1835, once we "left the farm" and walked the last dairy cow down the hill into town we have been in that house since 1900. The original cellar hole is still up on the hill behind the town, all overgrown now)

Report trip - we had a great time in Maine! Thanks for the advice. We ended up spending 3 days in the Bath - Popham Beach area, including 2 days at Bath Maritime Museum with a boat tour also. And at that we only covered the woodenboat part of the museum, not the naval part. The museum and grounds and boats are just the best. I'd go back there over and over.

Bark - we met on the boat tour! I was the guy with the WB hat from MT and we talked about your Noank Sloop etc. I thought afterwards that I should have asked if you were on the WB forum. My wife gave me grief for wearing my old worn out WB hat, but it was a conversation starter for me everywhere.

Then we went to Demariscott to the oyster festival. Very good vibe there, friendly people and best oysters ever. For me ME lobster is good, but scallops, clams (right up there with WA razor clams) and oysters are the best.

After that we headed to Acadia NP, which was also fantastic, but it's kind of like all NPs, very busy (I could not get out of Bar Harbor fast enough) and the locals are burnt out on tourists and so not as friendly as the rest of ME. I have a theory that Acadia's purpose is to focus the tourists in one spot so the locals can enjoy the rest. Southwest Harbor and surrounding area was very nice. Thomaston was very nice, had a picnic by the water and thought about Dynamite Payson.

If I get to go back I'd visit Bath-Popham area again and then maybe hit Blue Hill and points further downeast. Maybe even buy a new WB hat for the trip...

Scott

Glad you enjoyed the Maine Maritime Museum. I helped build the boat building shop there in the late seventies and was the first instructor in it. It's very satisfying to see it still going strong. Not all programs like that survive as long or as well.

Ha, Scott, I never thought to make the forum connection! Glad you had a good trip. Love your theory about all the tourists being corralled into the Acadia area to save the rest of the state for locals! Definitely a lot to see in Maine - sounds like you got a good taste. Hope you'll be back - give me a heads-up next time and we'll get you out on my boat.

Ben

Hi Ben, I hope to be back and would love to go for a sail with you! By the way, we ended up going back to Spinney's at Popham Beach for dinner. We really liked it.

Scott

Did you know the hills behind Popham Beach have a bunch of WWI forts and spotting towers? It’s been years since I’ve been up there but they are very cool. Fort Baldwin: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Baldwin

Thanks guys for the thread, I just moved to Farmingdale for the next couple months and I'll be looking for things to do while I'm here. I'll definitely check out the museum in Bath this week and if I have time take one of the cruises.
    Last edited by Mike J; 10-09-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Yes, Fort Baldwin and Fort Popham were both very cool. Popham is impossible to miss but a local pointed us to Baldwin. I have a walking habit and so the Popham area was perfect for us. Long walks on the beaches and hikes around Baldwin.