Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61516

Thread: Building Ninigret

Default Re: Building Ninigret

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    Thanks Rich
    How is your new boat treating you?
    It's treating me very well. I just got in from an afternoon spent fishing on one of the small local lakes. It is a boat that is happiest on protected waters.
    I've also got a 25hp engine and I asked the dealer/installer/mechanic about the break-in period. He said that as long as I varied the speed, I didn't have to adhere to that little-bit-at-a-time break-in schedule. It's been purring like a kitten all summer.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Wow! Looks great!

Congratulations on getting her into the water.

Mike

short video from yesterday

timo4352, there are no links or videos in your last two posts.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
    timo4352, there are no links or videos in your last two posts.
    That's weird...they show over here on my end...

try this maybe?

They show up fine for me in all the posts.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

They still don't show up in the first two posts but they are just fine in post #531.

Go figure! Might be a Mac versus the word thing.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

We got out for a bit today but it was too rough to open her up....
    I can feel the acceleration difference with the 9 pitch prop,... and I did get her over 5000 RPM for a second,... but it was too rough to beat her up, so another day will tell the story of how the new prop works.

Greetings, Loved the video of you underway and happy to hear that all of Atkins' promises were accurate. Buzzards Bay where my boat will live is known for it's steep 2-3' chop and my hope is that this design will thrive there. Are you satisfied with the power of your 25? I don't need a lot of speed but I would like to be able to plane with 4-5 people on board. I am thinking about 40 or 50 hp. Too much? Also the dealers are telling me that they must install the motor. How did you get around that? I have most of my lofting done and have built 5 of the frames but have run out of lumber so things are on hold for a bit. Plus the water heater at the house failed and I gotta get that squared away. Always something!!

Jon

Hi Jon
    I would call the boat a semi-planing hull...
    Take a look at pictures of them underway and you'll se most of the boat is in the water. I think that contributes to the good ride.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

I have so far only had 3 adults on board and she ran fine..no problems with power or anything.
    4 or 5 I may never do... I don't know.
    I think the 25 is plenty of power. I chose a Suzuki 25 for a few reasons....
    One was the fact that I could buy and install it myself...I'm not building the whole boat myself and then have somebody else drilling holes in it to mount my motor...Nope!
    Second was the fact that Freedom Boatworks has built a few of these, and said their preferred motor was a 4 stroke 25hp. Previous experience - not speculation.
    Third and fourth was weight and cost... I wanted to keep both down...
    My motor weighs 157 pounds. That's enough IMO... the old 2 strokes were a lot lighter...
    There is a video of one with a 60hp on it and it looks to squat dangerously to my eye..
    https://youtu.be/b-bqXkKrZOE

PS... buy your motor before you make the well....you need to have accurate measurements for clearance.

We got on the water for about an hour today...
    Not ideal conditions... but running inside the breakwall, in a confined area out of the wind, we were able to get up to 5400 RPM and 19.6 MPH according to the GPS.
    Just about what I was expecting by dropping down to a 9 inch pitch prop.... No real loss in top speed, so that's cool
    This was with a full tank of gas and 2 adults and a 50 pound kid on board.
    Not calm enough to really let her run... so another day of testing coming up...
    I do have room to raise the motor up some, and that may get me the additional 400 RPM or so that I'm looking for.

I made up a new cross-member and rollers for the trailer this weekend.
    Worked great... no more 2 X 6 strapped on there...

IMGP1338.jpg

IMGP1341.jpg

IMGP1342.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts. It appears that if I select a motor 30hp or under I am not required to have the dealer install it. That would certainly simplify the logistics and is likely the way I will go.

If you decide to go with a Suzuki, I got mine from PortaBote and had no problems at all dealing with them.
    30 and over = dealer installed.
    That's why I went with the 25...with no regrets.

There was a little hiccup while getting out on our Ninigret today...
    We probably weren't on the water for an hour and the oil warning light on the Suzuki started blinking...
    We erred on the side of caution and brought her in and went home....
    Turns out it was what I suspected...that the blinking warning light was simply informing me it was time for the first (20 hours) oil change.
    Can't believe I've put 20 hours on her already,... but looking back it sounds about right...safe to say the motor has been broken in by now.
    I ordered a different prop for her this morning... going with the Suzuki 10-1/4" X 9 that I probably should have gone with in the first place... the Solas was cheaper, and I figured the 11 inch diameter might be in my favor with the larger, heavier boat, but we'll see if the 10-1/4 spins just that little bit faster... The 11" Solas has nice torque, but maybe it is a bit big diameter-wise for this motor...
    Hoping to gain about 375 RPM according to my calculator... that would put me at about 5700 RPM or so... and I'd be happy with that.

I tinkered with my shifter and throttle cable adjustments this morning...and found that my throttle was not fully opening...
    It was off the wide open stop by almost 1/8 of an inch... so there may be a hundred or two RPM there to be had.
    We'll see next time out...

We got out on the water for a couple hours yesterday evening.
    The lake was calm and we were able to run her wide open to get a good test of the new Suzuki 9 pitch prop.
    The results were less than I had hoped for... 5400 RPM max and a drop in top speed to 17 MPH. You can feel the difference...even my wife said "it's slower, isn't it?"
    The boat does feel right and ride well.... just that little bit slower... and I can tell by the sound that the motor wants to rev a little more...
    So more tinkering to do...I'm going to try raising the motor, and swapping out between the Solas and Suzuki 9 pitch props to see which is best....
    I know I felt more torque from the Solas, and the top speed was better, I think.... but the Suzuki seems quieter... the Solas sings a little bit at certain RPMs.
    Hoping to get it sorted better in the next few days, or it will be hard for me to have to wait 'til next spring to find out.

Raised the motor up 2 notches this morning, which equates to about 1-1/4"
    That puts my anti ventilation/cavitation plate just about even with the bottom of the motor transom.
    The weather sucks here this weekend so I'm hoping to try it out on Monday.

Thanks for all the updates. It is interesting to hear about the kind of performance you are getting.

Likewise Tim. The post-launch fitting out is as interesting as the build. Keep it coming!
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

We got out for a few hours yesterday and I ran her slower to get you some numbers.
    Not over glorifying things, but I can't see how you would not be happy with it.
    She is solid and smooth. Does not struggle at all at lower speeds.
    I was quite happy at slower speeds, just cruising...
    At 3000 rpm she ran about 8 mph
    At 4200 rpm she runs 13 mph
    At 4400 rpm she runs 15 mph.
    It seems like each extra 200 rpm adds about one mph.

We tried both 9 pitch props at the raised motor setting...
    The Suzuki ventilated on a hard starboard turn at 4400 rpm.
    The Solas prop did not... but both props sprayed a lot up in the well, which I'm not happy with...
    I'm gonna drop it one notch and try again...
    The Solas prop has more torque, but sings or squeals at between 1800 and 2200 rpm only...kinda weird...
    The suzuki prop did pick up 200 rpm at the raised setting.
    The Solas stayed at 5400.. also kinda weird...