Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 21112

Thread: Building Ninigret

Default Re: Building Ninigret

Man, fairing in the side decks was a breeze... the cypress planes so nice! I've got to use more cypress on my projects...
    I got most of the bunk framing done in the cabin. And it looks like I'll have room to mount my battery up forward under the bunks, forward of frame #2... I don't really want the battery weight back by the motor...the motor is heavy enough back there.
    Got a couple pieces of the decking roughed out.
    I have a question about the wiring though... what is the consensus on tinned copper wiring?
    Do I need to use tinned wiring? Is it worth the extra expense?
    Will un-tinned copper wiring corrode in a fresh water boat?
    What is best to use?

bowdeck.jpg

bowdeck2.jpg

bunk framing.jpg

Man, that thing is gonna be bada$$!

Mike

Looks good, Timo.

On the batteries, just noting that conventional wet cell lead acid batteries outgas corrosive fumes when charging. This outgassing can degrade upholstery, fabric and other so called soft goods.

Its also not great to breathe!

For these reasons, I'd suggest using AGM batteries if you will install in the cabin. AGMs do not outgas appreciably.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Spending more money and ordering parts...
    Got more of that done than boat work lately, but sometimes I just have to step back and figure out the next step ,or steps, before can make any visible progress.
    Making decisions on this stuff can be kind of sticky sometimes.
    I did order my cleats and navigation lights,... and two hatches that I'm going to install on the rear deck,...and rod holders for the rear deck too.
    With the decisions made and parts ordered I have a direction to work in now, so today was spent installing backing blocks in the right place for the new cleats.

Got the flush mount rod holders installed in the rear decks. There is plenty of blocking installed underneath there to support the rod holders for trolling dipsey divers...they put a lot of stress on the rods and rod holders too.
    Also got the rest of the side decks trimmed up and fitted... no epoxy on anything yet. I still need to put a couple more half deck beams in to support the hatches..and finish making and fitting the rub rails.
    Then the whole shebang will get glued up / screwed down in one big marathon epoxy-fest.
    Merry Christmas everyone.

decks.jpg

deckrodhldrhtch.jpg

deckrodholdershatch.jpg

So when I put my decks on I left the plywood hang over the edge of the sheer plank about an 1/8th inch...
    This allowed me to pull the rub rail up underneath the deck and clamp it , giving me a nice, easy to control sweep to the sheer.
    That was all epoxied in the first step... after that was set up and cleaned up, then the little strips were epoxied in to finish the rail, thereby encasing the exposed end grain of the plywood decks.
    White oak was used for the rub rails. 3/4 inch stainless steel half oval will complete the rub rail.
    The plastic hatches are 14 X 24 inches and will give me good access to the rear compartments.

deckedge.jpg

deckedge2.jpg

deckedge3.jpg

deckhatches.jpg

deckhatchopen.jpg

Yes! So Good.

Love the rub rails.

-Derek