Thread: The 50 degree C city

Default The 50 degree C city

Its becoming more and more a probability that some Australian cities will have to cope with temperatures that are dangerous to human life. The built infrastructure of a city has a climate and temperature footprint of it's own. 50C is the temperature at which human cells start to cook, animals suffer and air conditioners overload power grids. Once an urban anomaly, 50C is fast becoming reality.

""Major Australian cities, such as Sydney and Melbourne, may experience unprecedented temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius under 2 degrees of global warming."The increase in Australian summer temperatures indicates other major cities should also be prepared for unprecedented future extreme heat."
    For example, the study's climate modelling projects daily temperatures of up to 3.8 degrees Celsius above existing records in Victoria and NSW, despite the Paris targets.
    "Urgent action on climate change is critical - the severity of possible future temperature extremes simulated by climate models in this study poses serious challenges for our preparedness for future climate change in Australia," Dr Lewis warns."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...ys_a_23231769/

Default Re: The 50 degree C city

hmm, you’ll need beer cellars

Yup. Gonna need bigger fridges and more powerful aircon. Probably should get a more powerful car too because car aircon sucks a lot of power. Sarcasm emoji. In case you missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the AC we use here now will not suffice for temperatures like that. In the ME they use a different coolant I think.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I think that the AC we use here now will not suffice for temperatures like that. In the ME they use a different coolant I think.
    don't they use water? total loss evaporative systems?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Sounds like fewer people will be a solution. Which will be inevitable.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0502131421.htm

More than 500 million people live in the Middle East and North Africa -- a region which is very hot in summer and where climate change is already evident. The number of extremely hot days has doubled since 1970. "In future, the climate in large parts of the Middle East and North Africa could change in such a manner that the very existence of its inhabitants is in jeopardy," says Jos Lelieveld, Director at the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry and Professor at the Cyprus Institute.

In addition, the duration of heat waves in North Africa and the Middle East will prolong dramatically. Between 1986 and 2005, it was very hot for an average period of about 16 days, by mid-century it will be unusually hot for 80 days per year. At the end of the century, up to 118 days could be unusually hot, even if greenhouse gas emissions decline again after 2040. "If mankind continues to release carbon dioxide as it does now, people living in the Middle East and North Africa will have to expect about 200 unusually hot days, according to the model projections," says Panos Hadjinicolaou, Associate Professor at the Cyprus Institute and climate change expert.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2016-05-climat...frica.html#jCp
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.

I don't know Paul, I just heard that said on a program here.
    Found this….
    https://www.kimukoh.co.jp/wp-content...03/ICR2015.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Sounds like fewer people will be a solution. Which will be inevitable.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0502131421.htm

More than 500 million people live in the Middle East and North Africa -- a region which is very hot in summer and where climate change is already evident. The number of extremely hot days has doubled since 1970. "In future, the climate in large parts of the Middle East and North Africa could change in such a manner that the very existence of its inhabitants is in jeopardy," says Jos Lelieveld, Director at the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry and Professor at the Cyprus Institute.

In addition, the duration of heat waves in North Africa and the Middle East will prolong dramatically. Between 1986 and 2005, it was very hot for an average period of about 16 days, by mid-century it will be unusually hot for 80 days per year. At the end of the century, up to 118 days could be unusually hot, even if greenhouse gas emissions decline again after 2040. "If mankind continues to release carbon dioxide as it does now, people living in the Middle East and North Africa will have to expect about 200 unusually hot days, according to the model projections," says Panos Hadjinicolaou, Associate Professor at the Cyprus Institute and climate change expert.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2016-05-climat...frica.html#jCp
    Thats easy fixed. You can't have unusually hot 200 days of the year. Those will have to be called normal temperature days. Unusually hot can be redefined to days over say 60C, and quite likely the number of unusually hot days will actually fall, so nothing to worry about.

..........think I might get a boat prepared for a one way journey to Heard Island!
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question