Thread: I'm having a memory invasion

Default I'm having a memory invasion

I don't know why. Maybe because health problems have prevented making much in the way of new memories, but I'm being invaded by really old memories.

Today I had flashbacks to early elementary school, and several of my classmates. I haven't seen any of them since 1955 or so, but I remembered long forgotten names and faces, and some of the moments in class.

Other memories of long forgotten moments keep popping into mind.

Wonder why.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: I'm having a memory invasion

That's a proverbial part of growing old.

I have what they call eidetic memory: exact recall of images. If there's a hook— some vivid element— to pull up an incident or place, I can describe it in tiresome detail.

Yet when I meet people at parties, etc. I can't remember their names a few minutes on, even if I like them. In an article on super-polyglots (people who can speak many languages) the author observes that short-term memory trouble seems to be frequent. Yet, if I glimpse the person at the market, etc. I recall seeing them, even briefly: faces but not names.

On author tours, to avoid embarrassment, I carried a little pocket notebook for jotting down names and details.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I sometimes wish we could defrag our brains the way we do hard drives. Mine is overdue.

Welcome to my world. I'm 71 BTW.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I sometimes wish we could defrag our brains the way we do hard drives. Mine is overdue.
    I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Welcome to my world. I'm 71 BTW.
    I'm 73. Used to active, went many places. Not so much now. Health problems have kept my boat in the driveway for a second year. Grandkids are grown and off in their own lives.

Something in the brain seems to start mining for other memories.

I'm 70 and many of my childhood memories are still quite fresh. I remember old school friends names, but their faces have faded. I have the same problem with more recent names as Chip-skiff, perhaps worse. I often can't remember the name of a celebrity, musician or sports star that I have known and admired for years.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

I like a description of how memory works I was told some years ago:

Imagine that each memory is placed on a file card, and file cards are stored, in order, front to back, in file card cabinets - row upon row, floor to ceiling - in a huge unlit warehouse. We have a big lantern that casts a light all around us in the row we are in. When we are young, the light cast illuminates all the cabinets that store all of our memories to date and they are all available for recall. As we grow older, and our memory cards grow greater in number, some memories are too far away from us to be able to be seen and recalled. As we age, our lantern of light begins to dim also. By the time we are very old, so many of our memories are stored in the utter darkness of the far reaches of the warehouse. They are there, but unable to be recalled. Sometimes, in our wanderings among the dark stacks of our memories, our light falls upon a memory card that we haven't seen in a long while, and for a brief time, that memory is illuminated clearly. But as we wander farther along, and that memory fades back to oblivion. Sometimes, for those of us whom are extremely unfortunate, the lantern doesn't burn properly and the soot of Alzheimer's begins to dim the lantern glass, restricting the viewing of the memory cards more and more, until all the memories are unreadable.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I seem to have the habit of 'sorting' what I remember, or not. Much I dismiss consciously, some i just miss because it's incidental to something else I'm doing.
    I remember the kids at the bush primary school, but very few from city high school etc. But that's becauseI had as little as possible to do with them at t the time. As a consequence I never learned to remember names, and at times that has been inconvenient. But I still seem to remember the important stuff, I do not need to keep a diary for instance. I am the chair of a committee organising a WB regatta in January and I keep records of that of course, but I do not need to refer to them much.
    I am 75, and fortunate.