Thread: In the midst of life

Thumbs down In the midst of life

Was with my daughter about two hours ago when we got news that her friend aged 18, collapsed and died this morning.

He always lived 200 yards away, that my daughter and her brother has known all him all their lives and grew up together and his parents are good friends of ours.
    He had just left here to go to Uni in Canada. His brother is in Uni in UK.

Tomorrow will be really hard for my family when our children leave for Uni.

However it will not be anywhere as hard or sad as it is for my friends that have just lost their younger son.

Just feel totally devastated, (almost) like my son has passed away.

Have no words, no idea what to do or say for them, never been in this position before.

My heart bleeds for them.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: In the midst of life

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn and plan as if you were to live forever.

So true.

Just went there.

Our 17 year old childhood friend was murdered just after Memorial Day.

Your families have my love, and best wishes for peace.

Peace,
    Robert

Just awful news. I thank the Universe it has not happened to me.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Very, very sorry to hear it. Death after a long life is hard enough, but that's much harder. Condolences to everybody involved.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Sorry. Not much you can say. Maybe just be with them, sit with them, at a time when most of their friends will be too uncomfortable to do so. And when they feel absolutely alone. But know also when they want to be alone. Maybe call,in often over the next few days, but don't stay long. Make tea. Just sit for a while, unobtrusively. I don't know really.

Doug,

Very sorry to to hear that. It is truly awful news, particularly when it is a young person at the start of their life.

It may seem a bit bit insensitive to ask right now, but do they know what caused the young man’s death? If so, perhaps it is wise for the rest of the family to be checked out as well. My niece has extraordinarily high cholesterol and would have been at risk of serious cardiac events in her teens if not caught early. Similarly a friend’s daughter was diagnosed and treated for an “electrical” cardiac issue that was found as a result of testing by a non-profit. The non-profit was started by the parents of a football player that died due to an undiagnosed heart condition. They provide health testing for student athletes to look for hidden issues.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Sorry for your loss. You can be there for your friends.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sorry. Not much you can say. Maybe just be with them, sit with them, at a time when most of their friends will be too uncomfortable to do so. And when they feel absolutely alone. But know also when they want to be alone. Maybe call,in often over the next few days, but don't stay long. Make tea. Just sit for a while, unobtrusively. I don't know really.
    would do that but they have had to fly to Canada to make arrangements for his body and other financial aspects. Do hope Uni would reimburse fees accom costs etc as term was to start on Mon(?).

I would like to hope tuition and associated fees are fairly low on the list right now.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    would do that but they have had to fly to Canada to make arrangements for his body and other financial aspects. Do hope Uni would reimburse fees accom costs etc as term was to start on Mon(?).
    Oh, didn't realise he was so far away. Feed their dog, check their mail, mow the lawn?

Terribly sad to hear that. There is nothing I can say that does not sound trite. All you can do is give them your love and help them through it.

Thanks all.

still hasn’t really sunk in.

just put my two on a jet to Uni. A hard farewell.

Very sad news!

My heart goes out to all his loved ones!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Ouch. I'm sorry for loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Doug,

Very sorry to to hear that. It is truly awful news, particularly when it is a young person at the start of their life.

It may seem a bit bit insensitive to ask right now, but do they know what caused the young man’s death? If so, perhaps it is wise for the rest of the family to be checked out as well. My niece has extraordinarily high cholesterol and would have been at risk of serious cardiac events in her teens if not caught early. Similarly a friend’s daughter was diagnosed and treated for an “electrical” cardiac issue that was found as a result of testing by a non-profit. The non-profit was started by the parents of a football player that died due to an undiagnosed heart condition. They provide health testing for student athletes to look for hidden issues.
    Cause not known yet. Awaiting autopsy. He was a close friend and neighbor of my children who are devastated.