Thread: I'm off to the Mediterranean

Default I'm off to the Mediterranean

Barcelona, Gibraltar, Marseilles, Genoa, Florence, and Rome....for a week.

Hope everyone behaves while I'm gone
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: I'm off to the Mediterranean

Avere una buona!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

don't come back. you'll thank me later.

sounds awesome, eat a LOT.... i'll be disappointed if you don't pickup 10lbs.

That's packing a lot into a week.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post

Find out where the natives eat, go there.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

They have internet there also, I hear. Post pictures! Have a great and relaxing trip.
    When we toured the UK early this year, we left American politics aside for 10 days. It was glorious.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Marvelous! Enjoy!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Enjoy, you lucky dog!

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

and norman, if your suitcase feels an extra 230 lbs heavy, that's normal. i SWEAR it's not me in there.

I’m already there.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post

I started dieting about ten weeks ago, in anticipation... have lost 15 lbs, which I fully expect to regain by the end of next week
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I started dieting about ten weeks ago, in anticipation... have lost 15 lbs, which I fully expect to regain by the end of next week

well planned sir.... WELL PLANNED.

Sounds like a cruise. Which line?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Sounds like a cruise. Which line?
    Princess. It's a 'middle of the road' cruise line, that we have traveled on before.... medium size ships (not the gargantuan monsters used by Celebrity and Royal Caribbean), medium pricing, etc. I will confess that the one cruise I took on Holland America, back in the late 90's, was nicer, in general, than Princess... but Princess does a good job.

I haven't been on a cruise ship in 14 years... back then, they were family cruises, which my Dad wanted to go on, for the entire family. Not exactly my usual preference, for a vacation, but the eastern Med cruise I took in 2000 was spectacularly good, and I have never been to the Western Med. We needed a change of pace.

Just stay away from the Southern and Eastern edges, where civilization is crumbling...

Peace,
    Robert

That's awesome.

What are you doing about it?

I loved our Med cruise. It was ages ago, '95 on the Emerald Princess on her second voyage. No telling where she is now, they have a new Emerald. She was the largest liner afloat at the time - 3100 passengers and half as many again to crew her.

Barcelona, Monaco, Florence, Naples, Venice, Athens, Ephesus (fascinating ruins that I'd never heard of), then finished at Istanbul. All in two weeks. Great food, balcony cabin, top quality entertainment, the works.

The great thing about cruising is you don't have to pack and unpack. The bad thing is there's not just 3000 other people in the same port, there's six ships with 3000 people EACH in the same port. But if you got there by train, plane or pedal car, they'd still be there so why not make it easy on yourself and travel in luxury.

You'll have a blast. BTW, Italian museums are spectacular.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I loved our Med cruise. It was ages ago, '95 on the Emerald Princess on her second voyage. No telling where she is now, they have a new Emerald. She was the largest liner afloat at the time - 3100 passengers and half as many again to crew her.

Barcelona, Monaco, Florence, Naples, Venice, Athens, Ephesus (fascinating ruins that I'd never heard of), then finished at Istanbul. All in two weeks. Great food, balcony cabin, top quality entertainment, the works..
    Our 2000 cruise was similar, except without Barcelona, Monaco, or Florence... but it included Santorini and Dubrovnik, along with Venice, Athens, Istanbul, and Naples. Ephesus was incredible, wasn't it? We loved Venice.

My favorite port was Naples, which is to say the Pompeii relics in the Naples museum. We left the tours and struck out on our own. Most incredible museum I've ever seen.

I didn't know that virtually every city in Italy had its own Colosseum. (The one in Verona is still in use for summer operas.) They had a re-creation of the gladiators' entrance to the Colosseum. Inscribed in Latin was a series of graffiti discussing one of the gladiators, a certain Claudius. The Latin was translated into a number of languages - English, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc. It started, "Claudius is a big p#$$y" followed by "Claudius is the greatest" then "Claudius could throw you to the sea" and continued, pro and con, down the side of the doorway until near the bottom in a childlike scrawl, "Say what you will about Claudius but he makes all the girls smile. Signed, Claudius"

They had the armor of a Centurion next to that of a gladiator. The soldier was the size of 14yo kid, maybe 5'2". The gladiator was the size of a Green Bay linebacker, truly immense for the time.

Greetings from the Med.... somewhere south of Spain, pulling into Gibraltar in the AM. Hot and humid!

Have a great time Norman - Lots of photos and enjoy the food you lucky SOB
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Have a great time and take lots of pics.

BTW I suspect that they have wifi there.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Isn't it about now that the Monaco Superyacht show takes place?Could be at least as interesting as a few old buildings.Have a great trip.

Spent the afternoon on the top of the rock of Gibraltar.... interesting place, especially the macaque monkeys, who are totally acclimated to humans. One of them used me as a jumping off point... tomorrow is a day at sea, and then Marseilles on Wednesday. The best part of a cruise like this: meeting all sorts of interesting people.

Spent the afternoon on the top of the rock of Gibraltar.... interesting place, especially the macaque monkeys, who are totally acclimated to humans. One of them used me as a jumping off point... tomorrow is a day at sea, and then Marseilles on Wednesday. The best part of a cruise like this: meeting all sorts of interesting people.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

yeah pics would be cool
    glad you are having a good time norm
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We will miss you in Florence by a couple of weeks. Enjoy!
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.