Thread: Farewell VW Beetle

Default Farewell VW Beetle

VW has announce the end. Nostalgia strikes. In 1954 in Stutgardt Dad loaded a bug on the Pan American DC-7 he was flying then and brought it home. In 1966 I bought that bug from him. My first car. In those days you needed to crack a window to close the door easily. They were that tight. I once floated off the road and across Conscience Bay in a storm. Great car whose time is gone.

Default Re: Farewell VW Beetle

I still miss my '63. Drove a new-style model (2003 or '04?) as a dealer loaner, not super impressed though I do know a number of folks who just loved the car.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

My first car. Her name was Clementine. That was what VW called the color she was.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I had a 1962 Bug, which was a fabulous car. I also had a early '70's Super Beetle, but it wasn't nearly as nice as it had a persistent front end shimmy that drove me nuts. Later, after I sold the car, I learned how to correct that problem, but by then I was into Corvairs.

Jeff C

Ahhh, it may rise, Phoenix-like, as another variant. Remember the Type I style was killed off in 1979 and then the " New Beetle," that we have now came out in about 2000.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

We ran into a deer on the NE Extension one night on the way to Philly. Unfortunately we had to return home before we ran outta gas.

Couldn't do that in a front engine car.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Bit of confusion here. The VW Beetle was introduced in 1995, a retro-body on the VW Golf platform. That is the one being discontinued. The old air-cooled Volkswagen had a nickname, but that isn't the car being discontinued. That left quite a while ago. Another nickname was "Hitler's revenge".

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Bit of confusion here. The VW Beetle was introduced in 1995, a retro-body on the VW Golf platform. That is the one being discontinued. The old air-cooled Volkswagen had a nickname, but that isn't the car being discontinued. That left quite a while ago. Another nickname was "Hitler's revenge".
    Actually the new, New Beetle, debuting in 2011 (as a 2012 model) which replaced the New Beetle. I thought they were decent looking cars, especially the convertibles, but I'd rather have a Miata.

I've always wondered why nobody has ever repopped an early split window Bug body.

Jeff C

I had a 1969 convertible for a while. I cut some 3/4” plywood to cover the holes in the floor of the front seats. Caulked them into place with painters caulk. That stopped the rust flakes from blowing into my eyes driving on the highway. Loved that car.

We went on our honeymoon in a 64 Beetle that had been rolled. The body had been replaced with one from a 1953 oval window. Had semaphore turn signals.
    Holes in the floor let water in. That baby would definitely not float.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

My first car.....a couple of hundred thousand miles before I moved on......great memories....

My first car was a PURPLE 1969 GTO, my second care was a YELLOW 1978 super beetle
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

My first car, after a scooter and two motorbikes, was a 58 36hp Beetle. I currently have a 71 and a 54, with the two bodies interchangeable onto a post 68 IRS floorpan with 4 wheel disk brakes and a Subaru turbo engine
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My first car also, a 69 or thereabouts 1300. It had a suspicious tideline of chronic tinworm, that became obvious after I tried driving inverted down a twisty gravel road.
    It was drop dead reliable, but between the rusty floorpan, dents and gravel rash, looked pretty rough, and definitely not a floater!
    With nothing much to lose, we tested the limits of Beetle offroad capability on several occasions. They are surprisingly good, right up to the point they get stuck

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    My first car, after a scooter and two motorbikes, was a 58 36hp Beetle. I currently have a 71 and a 54, with the two bodies interchangeable onto a post 68 IRS floorpan with 4 wheel disk brakes and a Subaru turbo engine
    The Subaru 2.2/2.5 motor has extended the life of a lot of old VWs. I have a 2.2 in my water cooled Vanagon, some engineer at VW really messed up with their wasserboxer.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

If any of you have never read "Farewell, My Lovely" by E B White, you owe it to yourselves. Similar sentiments, but about the Model T.

Beetle sales are dropping off because everyone wants a Jetta or a Tiguan. As a Tiguan owner, I get that.

What are you doing about it?

"Farewell My Lovely" is Raymond Chandler. You're thinking of "Farewell to Model T".

White borrowed the title for his ode to the T. "Farewell, My Lovely!" is the exact title. (I had to google it to be sure...)

My first car was a 1970 VW bus. Great vehicle but very underpowered.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

i've driven the things before. i can't get past the 3 hp problem long enough to enjoy anything else the car might have to offer.

Interesting that this thread has drifted to the VW Type I, and focuses on the Vocho, which was discontinued about a dozen years ago. The Beetle that is being discontinued now is a VW Golf, with less room. I don't think it ever gained a substantial following, and didn't sell very well. The old Type I was one of the more iconic vehicles ever put on the road. I did own one for while, and one of the more memorable moments was getting trapped in a herd of Brahma bulls on the road in rural Mexico. Arguably one of the most dangerous cars ever put on the road, but being the subject of Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at any speed" didn't deter its sales. A gas tank the doubled as a front bumper; suspension that rolled over at medium speeds; unworkable headlights; a heater that gassed the occupants; and a battery that tended to set the rear seat on fire were among its more likeable quirks. With gas mileage about the same as a modern full-size pickup, masked by the lack of a fuel gauge, the car eventually evolved over the years into something passable. The memories are too intertwined with other youthful adventures to ever be sorted out.
    Last edited by Dan McCosh; 09-14-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    My first car was a 1970 VW bus. Great vehicle but very underpowered.
    That resulted in a memorable line in an article in Road & Track, reporting on the Microbus 0-60mph times: "It doesn't go 60 mph."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Everybody HAD one.

50 years old. I've had it for 23. Six trips across the USA . 1600 .
    I only use it around town anymore.

You and Arlo Guthrie.

My 2nd car was a '66 Squareback. Not the same thing, I admit, but I designed my first workbench so it could come apart and be carried in the back.

Had one of these too....

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Everybody HAD one.

50 years old. I've had it for 23. Six trips across the USA . 1600 .
    I only use it around town anymore.

I'm kind of curious about the name. The original Volkswagen fairly quickly was nicknamed in German what translates into "Bug", while in Mexico, Vocho likewise is "Bug". Beetle took hold in the U.S. I can't think of another car where the nickname was adopted as the real name of the car. Ford, as an example, never built anything called Tin Lizzie. Ford did have a habit of using a name for wildly different cars, as if the name meant more than what was under it. Thus you end up with a Pinto called a Mustang, and a four-door sedan called the Thunderbird.

My ex and I had a ‘98 TDI, which was an absolutely fantastic car.
    If my life currently permitted a 2-door as the daily-driver, I’d have a turbo now.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.