Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manafort in plea deal?

Default Manafort in plea deal?

News says there are 'negotiations' under way with Mueller re a plea deal on further criminal proceedings.

Could this be the breakthrough that he's been looking for?

"Paul Manafort’s lawyers have reached a tentative plea deal with special counsel Robert Mueller’s team, ABC News reported Thursday evening. The deal is expected to be announced in court on Friday, and if it holds, it will stave off Manafort’s second trial, which was scheduled to begin later this month.
    But there’s an enormously important question that remains unanswered: Will Manafort agree to cooperate with Mueller’s investigation of Russian interference — even if it means flipping on President Trump?
    "

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/13/178517...n-trump-russia

Default Re: Manafort in plea deal?

The big worry for Manafort is being poisoned by the KGB, no way he turns coat.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Witness protection program perhaps, it won't work though he is to flamboyant.

‘I heard’ he’s to be relocated to Australia, where he won’t stand out.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I don't think he's cooperating. He'll admit to what he has to, avoid the trial, and wait for the pardon. He has a cooperative defense agreement with Trump's lawyers, so they know exactly what he's doing.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-fix-is-in

Would a cooperative defense agreement not amount to obstruction, if Trump pardons Manafort? It would not do so for ordinary mortals, to be sure, but POTUS has that magic regal power.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Would a cooperative defense agreement not amount to obstruction, if Trump pardons Manafort? It would not do so for ordinary mortals, to be sure, but POTUS has that magic regal power.
    The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

Looks like it’s a done deal.

The people he owes money to don't do plea bargains.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

CNN reports that the plea deal is now entered with the judge, including agreement to cooperate with Mueller. The filing drops the remaining convictions to 2 new charges, though Mueller admits guilt to all. And he has apparently already been giving info to prosecutors.

Tick tock.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    CNN reports that the plea deal is now entered with the judge, including agreement to cooperate with Mueller. The filing drops the remaining convictions to 2 new charges, though Mueller admits guilt to all. And he has apparently already been giving info to prosecutors.

Tick tock.
    How much longer?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

He knows where LOTS of bodies are buried. Mueller is very good at this. Trump is seriously out of his league, and is probably sh!tting proverbial bricks right now.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    He knows where LOTS of bodies are buried. Mueller is very good at this. Trump is seriously out of his league, and is probably sh!tting proverbial bricks right now.
    The bricks will come in handy for building that border wall.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Manafort flips.

I think Mr. Mueller is carefully creating a perimeter around a cluster of evidence of crimes, and is slowly closing the circle.

WaPo has an interesting article also. Drip Drop...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.98064a46870c
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hopefully closing in on pardon-proof state crimes.

Tomorrow Trump will tweet about how "that lying Manafort played only a minor role in the Campaign".

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Manafort flips.

I think Mr. Mueller is carefully creating a perimeter around a cluster of evidence of crimes, and is slowly closing the circle.
    I am so happy to be wrong.

I seriously wonder if the Trump administration and all of its actors realize who they are dealing with in Robert Mueller. The guy brought down John Gotti and the Gambino Crime Family. He literally wrote the book on how to investigate and convict members of organized crime syndicates. The fact that Trump, a two bit money launderer and con artist thinks he can compete with that is unreal. But his narcissism knows no bounds and clouds his mind. I am stocking up on popcorn. I wonder if an insanity plea would work for the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Tomorrow Trump will tweet about how "that lying Manafort played only a minor role in the Campaign".
    Trump won't be tweeting hugs and kisses to Manafort anymore!!

Manafort, knowing his goose was cooked and not seeing a pardon coming his way, probably figured that if he was going down, he was going to take Trump with him.
    This is good news.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Not sure you'll have to wait until tomorrow. I think Sarah Sanders already has been there:

"This had absolutely nothing to do with the president or his victorious 2016 presidential campaign," said press secretary Sarah Sanders. "It is totally unrelated."
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

What happened to our usual gang of Trumpster spinners? Are they tired of defending the indefensible, or are they all at camp?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    What happened to our usual gang of Trumpster spinners? Are they tired of defending the indefensible, or are they all at camp?
    They all seem to be at camp. For some reason, they have trouble behaving themselves here
    Elect a clown expect a circus

What? Trump is said to be "the most sound-minded president ever" according to a new book by Gina Loudon titled Mad Politics. BTW, Trump has endorsed the book. Apparently Gina, an early writer for Bannon's Breitbart, is said to "have many degrees, including PHD's". Wow! More than one PHD? I am impressed by anyone having more than one PHD.

Quote Originally Posted by cglynn View Post
    I seriously wonder if the Trump administration and all of its actors realize who they are dealing with in Robert Mueller. The guy brought down John Gotti and the Gambino Crime Family. He literally wrote the book on how to investigate and convict members of organized crime syndicates. The fact that Trump, a two bit money launderer and con artist thinks he can compete with that is unreal. But his narcissism knows no bounds and clouds his mind. I am stocking up on popcorn. I wonder if an insanity plea would work for the defense?

Well, I guess that rules out the insanity plea.

As for Gina....(in Alec Baldwin's Trump voice) "She has many degrees. Many many degrees. The best degrees, from the best institutions. So many degrees. And look at her. She's pretty. Very pretty. A great pretty beautiful person with so many degrees from beautiful schools....." Have you ever noticed how DT fits more adjectives in one sentence than pretty much all writers in history...combined. lol.

Manafort pleaded guilty to two charges — conspiring to defraud the United States and conspiring to obstruct justice.

Hello mister two scoops.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

bannd camp..

It’s all Hillary’s fault.

Donald, he hires the best.

https://www.facingsouth.org/2017/11/...thern-strategy

The charges against Manafort — a Connecticut native with business and law degrees from Georgetown University — cap off a controversial career in politics. Much of it he spent lobbying for notorious human rights abusers such as Angolan anti-communist rebel leader Jonas Savimbi and dictators Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines, Mohammed Siad Barre of Somalia and Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire (now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo).

But before he was advocating for human rights abusers on the world stage, Manafort was helping the Republican Party gain advantage by embracing the politics of racism at home.
    "Nobody should underestimate how much Paul Manafort did to really help get this campaign to where it is right now," said political consultant Newt Gingrich, the former congressional leader from Georgia and GOP presidential candidate who served as an adviser for the Trump operation.

From Washington Monthly. (Source) I think he's a bit too optimistic, but only a bit.

Manafort Finally Makes a Deal With Robert Mueller
    by Martin Longman, September 14, 2018

It seemed like the day would never come, but Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman has decided to cooperate with Robert Mueller’s special counsel’s office. In court, this morning, Manafort pleaded guilty to two very significant charges, which we can now add to the eight felonies he was convicted of committing in a Virginia courtroom last month. Manafort has now admitted to participating in a conspiracy against the United States and a conspiracy to obstruct justice. A representative of the special counsel’s office, Andrew Weissman, said that Manafort had struck a “co-operation agreement” with the Russian election interference investigators, but he didn’t provide any additional details.

The judge in the case, Amy Berman Jackson, explained that under the terms of the plea deal Manafort is expected to co-operate “fully and truthfully” with Mueller’s office and that he may have to agree to be interviewed without counsel present, provide additional documents, and testify in other criminal proceedings. Manafort was also compelled to give up substantial property, including homes in New York City, the Hamptons and Virginia (this last one presently occupied by one of his daughters), the money in four separate financial accounts, and a life insurance policy.

It took Weissman forty minutes to spell out the details of Manafort’s crimes.

“I believe it’s fair to say that’s probably the longest and most detailed summary that ever preceded this question, but is what the prosecutor said a true and accurate description of what you did in this case,” [Judge] Jackson asked Manafort.

“I did. It is,” Manafort, said, resting both hands on the lectern before him and flanked by his attorney, Richard Westling.

As a result, Manafort will not have to endure or pay for another trial and the GOP will be spared a massive headache in the coming weeks leading up the midterm elections. That must be cold comfort for President Trump, however, who has been lavishing praise on Manafort for his refusal to become a rat. Now the biggest rat of all has turned on him.

Here’s the first mention of Paul Manafort in the Steele Dossier, from July 26, 2016:

"Speaking in confidence to a compatriot in late July 2016, Source E, an ethnic Russian close associate of Republican US presidential candidate Donald Trump, admitted that there was a well-developed conspiracy of co-operation between them and the Russian leadership. This was managed on the TRUMP side by the Republican candidate’s campaign manager, Paul MANAFORT, who was using foreign policy advisor, Carter PAGE, and others as intermediaries. The two sides had a mutual interest in defeating Democratic presidential candidate Hillary CLINTON, whom President PUTIN apparently both hated and feared."

The dossier is certainly not accurate in every respect, but Manafort is now expected to co-operate “fully and truthfully” with the investigation. We will find out what is accurate. If he did indeed lead “a well-developed conspiracy of co-operation between [the Trump campaign] and the Russian leadership,” we will presumably know that before long.

Everything else anyone has to say about this plea deal is a distraction. Manafort could have volunteered what he knows long ago, and certainly should have if he didn’t want to spend significant time in prison, have most of his assets seized and his daughter thrown out of her home. He made bad decisions instead. If he has nothing of interest to say now, then his behavior so far is even more inexplicable.

The White House is predictably distancing themselves with the argument that Manafort’s confessed crimes don’t have any direct relationship to Russian collusion. That’s ridiculous, of course, since the entire point of bringing these charges was to compel Manafort to speak truthfully about Russian collusion.

The vice around Trump is almost closed.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

“Manafort colluded, Not Donald!”

Coffee boys dropping like flies!
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

I'm glad he's going to squeal on Trump; but, I hope that he doesn't get off too easy at sentencing time.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

mdh isn't banned, but he lost posts back to April and seems to have given up. He's probably more comfortable back in the fever swamps.

Manfort admits to taking a lot of money from Ukraine, which came from . . . and

. . . the Government of Ukraine, the Party of Regions (a Ukrainian political party whose leader Victor Yanukovych was President from 2010 to 2014), President Yanukovych, and the Opposition Bloc (a successor to the Party of Regions that formed in 2014 when Yanukovych fled to Russia).

-- https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...ull.pdf#page=1
    . . . and spending a lot, via various conspirators, on lobbying the US Government, including Senators, the Prez and the VP, personally. And lots of "legal opinions" turned into "press releases". No more attorney-client privilege there. Any further conspiring? Should make for an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    ‘I heard’ he’s to be relocated to Australia, where he won’t stand out.
    We'll put him in parliament, they're all crooks there and no one will notice another one.