Thread: Trump: "3,000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico"

Default Trump: "3,000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico"

Does he think he can erase reality.... with a tweet?

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much. Then, a long time later, they started to report really large numbers, like 3000...
    8:37 AM - Sep 13, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

.....This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!
    8:49 AM - Sep 13, 2018

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Trump: "3,000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico"

I guess he is saying some 2,900 people died due the lack of effective aid after the hurricane devastated the islands.

The fact that he's addressing this at all speaks volumes.

His base certainly doesn't care about this issue.
    The formerly-Puerto-Ricans now voting in Florida certainly don't care what he says on the issue.

even for the 60% in the middle... Is there anything to be gained by massaging that tar-baby?
    Pure ego.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I really wonder, is he so out of contact with reality that he thinks he's telling the truth? Does he imagine that if it comes out his mouth it must be true? Does he just not know the difference between reality and bullsh!t? Does he simply not care? How can somebody possibly be that f***ed up?

Now, I will say that for my entire career I've worked mostly with physical reality, things that cannot be fooled, and which will tell you and everybody else in no uncertain terms if you got it right or not, so I'm not very practiced at that kind of deception. But Jesus T. Christ; he's not even very good at it!
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I really wonder, is he so out of contact with reality that he thinks he's telling the truth? Does he imagine that if it comes out his mouth it must be true? Does he just not know the difference between reality and bullsh!t? Does he simply not care? How can somebody possibly be that f***ed up?
    I really think that he either doesn't know or doesn't care what "reality" is so long as his ego get's stroked. The narcissism, paranoia, victimization and sheer sociopathic behavior are plainly on display. This is precisely why they don't want him to testify with Mueller.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I really wonder, is he so out of contact with reality that he thinks he's telling the truth?
    The truth is whatever he wants it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein
    Does he think he can erase reality.... with a tweet?
    Yes. Yes he does. His tweets are intended for the consumption of his deplorable base.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    I guess he is saying some 2,900 people died due the lack of effective aid after the hurricane devastated the islands.
    No, he’s clear. It was the Democrats and old age that gave the larger number. After the hurricane and after he left it was only 6-18 deaths.

Absolutely the world's worst human being ever. I'm absolutely exhausted trying to understand the depravity and stupidity of this excuse for a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    The fact that he's addressing this at all speaks volumes.

His base certainly doesn't care about this issue.
    The formerly-Puerto-Ricans now voting in Florida certainly don't care what he says on the issue.

even for the 60% in the middle... Is there anything to be gained by massaging that tar-baby?
    Pure ego.
    The tremendously big water brought by Florence is getting attention so he wants to get on stage with it.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

He raised billions of dollars for Puerto Rico? Really?!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Absolutely the world's worst human being ever. I'm absolutely exhausted trying to understand the depravity and stupidity of this excuse for a person.
    Mental illness really does not seem to cover it, does it?

I think there may be some age-related issues creeping into the cognitive mix as well...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It doesn't matter that HE doesn't care - he's psychotic.

It DOES matter that reds don't care.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I think there may be some age-related issues creeping into the cognitive mix as well...
    sure but this is the same guy 30 yrs ago who would call reporters pretending to be someone else in order to promote his public image. The gas lighting is the same, except this time it’s in the White House

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.953453ff594e

A recording obtained by The Washington Post captures what New York reporters and editors who covered Trump’s early career experienced in the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s: calls from Trump’s Manhattan office that resulted in conversations with “John Miller” or “John Barron” — public-relations men who sound precisely like Trump himself — who indeed are Trump, masquerading as an unusually helpful and boastful advocate for himself, according to the journalists and several of Trump’s top aides.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    It doesn't matter that HE doesn't care - he's psychotic.

It DOES matter that reds don't care.
    Ahh, they call it “TDS” or “Trump hatred” as if reality is defined by ones emotional state.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Ahh, they call it “TDS” or “Trump hatred” as if reality is defined by ones emotional state.
    Their reality is determined by emotions. They love Trump, Trump must be right.

what is sad about all this.. when it was brought up that the peoples of Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Somoa are actually American Citizens, some of the more rabid right wingers at work immediately took out their phones to double check my facts. Yes, they were that ill-informed and that is who The Donald is tweeting to
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

What next? denying the Holocaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    what is sad about all this.. when it was brought up that the peoples of Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Somoa are actually American Citizens, some of the more rabid right wingers at work immediately took out their phones to double check my facts. Yes, they were that ill-informed and that is who The Donald is tweeting to
    Ill-informed. You're being too kind. I had a 'text exchange' with my RWW sister last night - she hates 'lyin' Hillary'; thinks Trump is the best Prez we've ever had, and can't believe I don't share that opinion. No attempt to rebutt anything that he's done - it's all 'fake news'. No recovery when you're that far down that rabbit hole. And that approach allows you to dispense with the nasty job of critical thinking.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Our country is deeply ill!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Ill-informed. You're being too kind. I had a 'text exchange' with my RWW sister last night - she hates 'lyin' Hillary'; thinks Trump is the best Prez we've ever had, and can't believe I don't share that opinion. No attempt to rebutt anything that he's done - it's all 'fake news'. No recovery when you're that far down that rabbit hole. And that approach allows you to dispense with the nasty job of critical thinking.
    You can get both rapid recovery and dispense with critical thinking when you have to crawl into a foxhole with someone of a different persuasion. It worked in the Trenches of the Argonne, and finally the Inchon Pennisula leading to executive order 9981. It seems to work for a generation at least, we can hope it doesn't come to that.

Something isn't right here I agree. On the other hand, trying to get an update of Florance from CBS yesterday, only to have them start off on Trump and Puerto Rico. As evidence of Trumps incompetence they show current video of a runway covered with bottled water that has never been distributed. Is this Trumps fault?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Or...maybe....the numbers were inflated....for politics...by a local government that makes Louisiana look competent?

(I’ll show myself to the door.)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Or...maybe....the numbers were inflated....for politics...by a local government that makes Louisiana look competent?

(I’ll show myself to the door.)
    No need to show yourself out.

But can you support this hypothesis? If so, please do. If not... why give it voice?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Something isn't right here I agree. On the other hand, trying to get an update of Florance from CBS yesterday, only to have them start off on Trump and Puerto Rico. As evidence of Trumps incompetence they show current video of a runway covered with bottled water that has never been distributed. Is this Trumps fault?
    Of course not. But when the POTUS starts the day tweeting lies about a devastating hurricane last year and uses this one to trash a Puerto Rican mayor and Democrats do you honestly expect that to be ignored? Trump is providing evidence of his incompetence, not CBS.

But can you support this hypothesis? If so, please do. If not... why give it voice?
    you know, “some people say...”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    No, it’s Obama’s. Just like it’s the Democrats’ fault for everything else. Something’s not right here? You bet something’s not right here, and to be straight up, if Trump’s taking credit for raising billions and everything else he touts, he might as well get the blame for relief supplies that were never distributed.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 09-13-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

That’s an interesting question in a forum where so much is simply a cut and paste. They call it sh*tposting.

Can you support the original propositoon? Do you have facts and data? Or do you simply dislike having other possibilities surfaced for consideration? Why would you not support a thoughtful consideration of alternative explanations? Are you trying to control a narrative in this dark little corner of the internet? Not to worry, you fit right in.

It’s tiresome when each statement he makes is attacked. And the gang piles on. Seems hate based and lacking in critical analysis.

Another addition to the ignore locker! Welcome!

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    From the BeeB
    Where does the official death toll come from?

A George Washington University study in July found that 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico as a result of Hurricane Maria, which struck the island territory in September 2017.
    The governor of Puerto Rico, who commissioned that research, said he accepted the estimate as official.
    The study concluded the initial death toll of 64 only included those killed directly by hurricanes Maria and Irma - either by drowning, flying debris or building collapse.
    George Washington University also counted those who died in the six months following the storm as a result of poor healthcare provision and a lack of electricity and clean water.

Repeated power cuts also led to an increased number of deaths from diabetes and sepsis.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    That’s an interesting question in a forum where so much is simply a cut and paste. They call it sh*tposting.

Can you support the original propositoon? Do you have facts and data? Or do you simply dislike having other possibilities surfaced for consideration? Why would you not support a thoughtful consideration of alternative explanations? Are you trying to control a narrative in this dark little corner of the internet? Not to worry, you fit right in.

It’s tiresome when each statement he makes is attacked. And the gang piles on. Seems hate based and lacking in critical analysis.
    Are you tired? Maybe a nap would help. In the meantime instead of filling up the space characterizing people how about acknowledging that when elderly, the very young and sick are denied life saving care they can die. When that lack of care comes from a destroyed infrastructure caused by a hurricane they aren’t any less dead than someone struck by a flying branch or collapsing roof.