Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one for the anglophiles

Default Re: one for the anglophiles

I like Toyota trucks and land cruisers, especially pre 1995 models or so. Pre 1985 even better.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    There is no discussion, it's like Stihl vs Husqvarna... The discussion should be between StihlHusqvarna and McCulloch, but then again, there's no discussion there either.
    What is the answer to this ? a short version would be fine.

Before mud-terrains...the ol' battle wagon.

IMG_1786.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Stihl pro models for me for a long time now. And, the best thing for them from the standpoint of a user like me is use them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Can you disassemble a JEEP

to all of its component parts, clean, refurb, repaint, and reassemble in a small single car garage using nothing more than a box of spanners?

A mate of mine did so with his Landy.
    Cracked chassis up near The Rock, found a tree (there are some), lifted the body off, welded the chassis (24 volts and a serial box mask), put the body back. The vehicles capstan winch and a few blocks, 2 spare wheels buried as a ground anchor, and a few spanners and a screwdriver from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Both.

Slightly longer version, Pro Stihl a little lighter, Pro Husqvarna better engineering. But same same.

If you want to cut logs once a year, get non pro.

If you want to buy a present for a relative you particularly hate, get them a McCulloch, preferably from the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Stihl pro models for me for a long time now. And, the best thing for them from the standpoint of a user like me is use them regularly.
    Thanks , I was just having the landrover and chainsaw conversation a couple of days ago, so the thread is pertinent.
    The problem with early landies here is a lot have been farm hacks and get eaten from under/within by farm muck. The other component of the conversation was the satisfaction with the 25 year old Stihl chainsaw ( which was a professional model)

Both.

Slightly longer version, Pro Stihl a little lighter, Pro Husqvarna better engineering. But same same.

If you want to buy a present for a relative you particularly hate, get them a McCulloch, preferably from the 80's.
    Oh thanks , I didn't know what you meant at first.

Both.

if you only cut logs once a year your two stroke chainsaw ainít gonna start get an electric or battery chainsaw or better yet hire it done so you donít hurt yourself.

I want this.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

There are only 2 off road vehicles in the world... Landrover and Land Cruiser, or the modern equivalent, a Hilux. There is no discussion, it's like Stihl vs Husqvarna... The discussion should be between StihlHusqvarna and McCulloch, but then again, there's no discussion there either.
    I'm going to assume you meant 4x4's built for the civilian market. Don't make me go all Pinzgauer on you. . .

Nosce te ipsum

A rerun, but a good reminder that even old technology can handle tough conditions.

It's only about a 25 second video:

Jeff C

Yadda yaddd Landcruiser and Landrover

Yadda Yadda CJ and Willys

Yadda Yadda my old Broncos

Look what a cheap, modern vehicle can do--it's not even really fitted for off road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WjpzubCoBo

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^ I want to see that Kia in a tank trap. Better yet, do this.

Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 09-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

How about that water?

Nosce te ipsum

Just a little FYI for Paul, a Pinz 710, that's the 4x4 not the 6x, is the same wheelbase as a Jeep.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 09-13-2018 at 12:09 AM. Reason: not a dig on Jeeps, I like Jeeps. :-)
    Nosce te ipsum

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Here with our gumbo mud, I imagine there would be so much mud built up on those tires and fenders that the tires would have trouble turning.

The first landy's were center drive, passengers sat either side of the driver, mechanicals were pre-ww2 rover car stock. unfortunately it worked and so the "Landrover" was born.They left a lot to be desired, my father bought a series one LWB in 1951 and it gave unending trouble and he was not a hard driver either
    That home made single seater is a hodge-podge of models but serves it's owners purpose (I guess) My own stable contains 3 "Lada Niva" in various stages of decay.

Jimmy W can you not see it for what it is?? It's a fun machine, a crutch grabber and made for blacktop cruising fer chris--sake. he just had to have sommit difrint

I believe only one very early prototype had the central driving position.

orig landy.jpgthis is the prototype un-named at this stage but later to be called "Landrover" 1948 IIRC.

12621_buggylarge1_1.jpgbuggy-large3.jpgAnd here she be from the rear. That driving position was how the prototype was set out, brake on one side, clutch on the other of the transmission tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post

Here with our gumbo mud, I imagine there would be so much mud built up on those tires and fenders that the tires would have trouble turning.
    i just thought i knew about mud, then i moved to michigan. . .

What, you think that might be taken off road?

You cannot be serious!
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I like it. Cross between an NG TD, an early series Lightweight landrover and a blower Bentley.

Oooerrr!

Hmmm, L**d R*v*r the best worst vehicle in the world, leaks water in the top and oil out the bottom, they're cheap to repair because they have to be (constantly need something fixing), noisy (no point having a stereo, you can't hear it anyway), awful to drive any distance, uncomfortable seats, drivers is window always open as you need the elbow room.
    Apart from the above minor issues it's the longest I've owned any vehicle, despite looking constantly, I'm struggling to find something to replace it with that does what I want so well although I do have my eye on a Dodge 3500 V10 that hits the spot

A month ago
    before.jpg

Yesterday
    After.jpg

Just the back end of the chassis to replace next, the only thing that I haven't replaced/rebuilt is the rear axle (not made by l**d R*v*r funnily enough)

forgot to add, the reason for the above work was "just" a blown head gasket, no problem I thought, shouldn't take long.............
    total engine rebuild, new footwells as the bulkhead was more fresh air than metal, new outriggers on the chassis as they were held on by the spiders webs and bucket full of new bolts/screws etc to replace the iron oxide originals
    Last edited by artif; 09-15-2018 at 08:20 AM.

haha

I like Toyota trucks and land cruisers, especially pre 1995 models or so. Pre 1985 even better.
    Just wait 'til oznabrag shows up.
    Rattling the teacups.

If the powerplant is making enough horsepressure, the gumbo would just prise the fenders right off.

i just thought i knew about mud, then i moved to michigan. . .
    You need to go visit Jimmy.
    Rattling the teacups.

[QUOTE=artif;5674742]Hmmm, L**d R*v*r the best worst vehicle in the world, leaks water in the top and oil out the bottom, they're cheap to repair because they have to be (constantly need something fixing), noisy (no point having a stereo, you can't hear it anyway), awful to drive any distance, uncomfortable seats, drivers is window always open as you need the elbow room.
    Apart from the above minor issues it's the longest I've owned any vehicle, despite looking constantly, I'm struggling to find something to replace it with that does what I want so well although I do have my eye on a Dodge 3500 V10 that hits the spot

A month ago
    before.jpg

Yesterday
    After.jpg

Just the back end of the chassis to replace next, the only thing that I haven't replaced/rebuilt is the rear axle (not made by l**d R*v*r funnily enough)

forgot to add, the reason for the above work was "just" a blown head gasket, no problem I thought, shouldn't take long.............
    total engine rebuild, new footwells as the bulkhead was more fresh air than metal, new outriggers on the chassis as they were held on by the spiders webs and bucket full of new bolts/screws etc to replace the iron oxide originals[/QU

I have a friend who has a late model Defender turbo diesel twin cab ute. In other respects an apparently very sensible and practical guy. He explains that when you buy a Land Rover you don't just get a car, you get a hobby. Last time we spoke he was bemoaning coolant in the oil, and I reminded him of that mantra. He said it's not a hobby, it's a vocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    I like it. Cross between an NG TD, an early series Lightweight landrover and a blower Bentley.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post

Yesterday
    After.jpg
    Ooooh shiny !

Nice one son.

M