Thread: Caledonia Yawl or Welsford Navigator within 6 hours of Rochester NY?

Default Caledonia Yawl or Welsford Navigator within 6 hours of Rochester NY?

Folks,

I know - rather different craft but they both have merit for what I am looking for. Would be great to actually see one in person. I'm wondering if there is one relatively close by I could get a gander at.

May also attend the Mid Atlantic Small Craft festival if you have one and are bringing it there.

Thank you

John

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl or Welsford Navigator within 6 hours of Rochester NY?

Don't know of any, but some of the builders have fairly extensive videos of the CY == I think you have to pay a small fee to subscribe. Both are scarcer than hen's teeth, with the CY being a bit more common. And there are usually several at the Small Reach Regatta every year. https://www.facebook.com/groups/104933556820/about/
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: Caledonia Yawl or Welsford Navigator within 6 hours of Rochester NY?

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Hi John

As far as I know I am your closest source for a Navigator, but I'm right at the end of your six hour limit. I would love to give you a tour anytime.

There's also a Welsford facebook page - you could put a note there.

You should be able to find a CY, as they are much more popular. As Thorne said, there were 8 at the SRR. You could try contacting the Downeast TSCA folks to get contact info.

Send me a PM if you want to come over and look.

Kenny
    Lexington, MA
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Kenny,

Thank you. Looking at event in Maine (thanks Paul!) and the Mid Atlantic Small Craft festival. If I go Maine you are on the way!

John

I'd consider posing your question to whoever manages your local chapter of the Traditional Small Craft Association.

http://tsca.net/chapters/
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jshaley View Post
    If I go Maine you are on the way!

John
    Good. If you come through on Friday or Saturday we can go for a sail.

Kenny
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Drats. Maine event is a weekend I am checking out a college with daughter. So thank you for your very gracious offer Kenny but I will have to pass.

Still looking into Mid Atlantic Small Craft festival and reaching out to local Traditional Small Craft Association chapters.

Thank you all

Bummer. Well you know, no one has more colleges than the Boston area . . .

Raced a Navigator at the Bribie Island Regatta a few years ago and I found her a very forgiving fast and weatherly boat.
    While I have no experience with the Caledonia I have previously build and owned a Ness boat and if given a choice between the two would choose the Navigator .

I will be at MASCF with my Navigator "slip jig" There will likely be another Nav and a couple of Pathfinders as well. Come on down, I'll be happy to take you out and answer any questions. There most likely will be a Caledonia there as well, there is usually at least one.

I will also be at the festival with my Caledonia Yawl “NIP”. Would be happy to discuss boat with you and take you for a sail.
    It is probably an eight or nine hour drive for you.
    "I am what I am and I am what I am that I am." - Popeye 20th Century A.D.

Slip Jig and Nip, I look forward to seeing you at MASCF. I will pm contact information. Many thanks for the very generous invites. I plan to arrive Friday (possibly Thu night) for the event.