Thread: Boats and people, Oregon and Wa.?

Default Boats and people, Oregon and Wa.?

I am a midwesterner traveling to Seattle, Port Townsend, Portland and points inbetween to see some friends and boats: I am looking for any and all recommendations of people, shops, museums, & activities Oct 16-30.

I am involved in teaching and the TWSBA, and am interested in related programs,

In addition, I am currently building a Mackinaw boat and am especially interested in related boats and topics: mine will be 27', open, water ballast, straight keel, raked sternpost, gaff ketch (Chapelle ASSC, Western Lakes Mackinaw)

Please advise,

Ken

Default Re: Boats and people, Oregon and Wa.?

Welcome to the Northwest, Ken. Unfortunately you'll have missed the Wooden Boat Fest at Port Townsend, but the Maritime Center there is still a must see. You might also check in with Leo Sampson and "Tally Ho" while you're in the PT area.

Center for Wooden Boats in downtown Seattle always worth a peek too.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

The maritime museum in Astoria is great, a little field trip from Portland. There are columbia river salmon boats, that are large open boats somewhat like your Mackinaw.

I'm a big fan (and friend) of the Lincoln Street Canoe and Kayak Museum in Portland. Here's a little article I wrote to give you a feel. Harvey usually has the museum open on Thursday evenings or by appointment.

There's a floating maritime museum here in Portland- mostly it is a sternwheeler that you can walk around on. There's some good racing activity and general cruising on the Columbia River near the airport on Sunday afternoons. It's also fun to go to the Bonneville Dam and watch ships move through the locks- though if you're in Seattle, I'd go to the Ballard Locks because you'll see more wooden boats. If you want to talk with guys who like to poke around and build small craft, check out the workshops over at Rivers West Small Craft Workshop.

I second the vote to go to the Maritime Museum in Astoria- though it is a bit of a trek to get out there. The CWB in Seattle and the adjacent NW Seaport is a highlight. Do rent a boat from the livery!

If I'm around, I'd be happy to meet you here in Portland for a cup of coffee or a sail if the timing is right. Drop me a line.

-Bruce

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

If you go up to Port Townsend (highly recommended) don't miss the Port Hadlock Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding. It is right on the way, and they'll give you a visitor sticker so you can roam the various buildings and builds.
    https://www.nwswb.edu/
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

If you're inclined toward stringed instruments and find yourself in the Ballard/Fremont District in Seattle, check out Dusty Strings Music https://www.google.com/maps/place/Du...QipPqAbIqJseJh They're downstairs and a little hard to find but feature different instruments regularly (last time I was there they had Ukes on feature).

Or if you like old books you should visit William James Booksellers in Port Townsend. Great used/rare book shop with a very nice maritime section. Also
    Seaocean Book Berth in Seattle. Entirely dedicated to boat books, both used and new. And Longship Marine in Poulsbo is always worth a visit. One of the few old school second hand marine chandleries left. Poulsbo is on the way from Port Townsend to the Seattle ferry on Bainbridge, or not too much of a detour from the Kingston ferry dock.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    And Longship Marine in Poulsbo is always worth a visit. One of the few old school second hand marine chandleries left. Poulsbo is on the way from Port Townsend to the Seattle ferry on Bainbridge, or not too much of a detour from the Kingston ferry dock.
    And the bakery just down the street is pretty good, too