Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The last straw

Default Re: The last straw

We once had a cat that would chew through bread bags. Had to lock up the bread.
    Michigan seems like a dream to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    We once had a cat that would chew through bread bags. Had to lock up the bread.
    We had a cat once who was nuts about popcorn.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I can get you six kittens today.

Peace,
    Helpy Helperton
    If they are orange tabbies, it's a deal.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    We have two too many cats in the house. The last straw for me is that I picked up a loaf of bread on the counter and it had obviously been eaten by mice. Yesterday, with honeybunny’s reluctant acquiescence I kicked two of them out to be outdoor cats henceforth. Kat told me I had to build them a heated cathouse on stilts and get them a heated water dish before winter in two weeks.

This morning I go outside to pee and the two kittens bolt past me into the house. I followed them in whereupon the most pitiful of the two refugees presented us with an eviserated mouse.
    You could go big with the little cathouse project ... say, big enough for a horse. Horses and cats usually enjoy each others company and the cats can drink out of the horse's heated water bucket. But then you'd also need a shed for several tons of hay, and there's the tack, and maybe a trailer ...

Thanks for the reminder that winter is in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    That reminds me of the story of the man who used to introduce his wife as "...my first wife."

I tried it once. I'm too old to sleep on the sofa.
    My phrase is, "... my starter wife". After 43 years together, she always says: good luck finding another one. But, hey, how hard could it be for an impecunious, old, fat, short, gray, grouchy guy to find women? Should be a snap, eh?

She had maybe 5 cats when we met (I could never keep track). We're now down to one. So... Paul... there IS hope. It only took 4+ decades.
    Last edited by David G; 09-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    They brought her breakfast in bed. What's not to like?
    For the last five years of her life, Squeak, a timid little Siamese, presented me with a mouse for breakfast every day. She knew that I didn't like birds, because, as she found for herself, their feathers stick in your teeth.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

My cat, also a Squeak, brought in a blue jay alive, just for the joy of watching her human chase it around the house.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

The closest Piggles and Buddy will get to outside is a catio, unless we take them out on a leash. Downtown neighbourhoods full of ferals and cars are not safe places for my cats.

The saga of a Winnipeg cat, from insanely talented songwriter John K. Samson. Fair warning: if you love cats, this will make you cry. It's missing the first installment, "Confessions of a Futon Revolutionary", a song in which Virtute appears but not by name.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    No necessarily. My cats (rescued brothers from the same litter) can go out during the day and occasionally find mice to bring home as their contribution to the domestic economy. Their aim seems to be to stock, the house with mice, not banish them (these are actually little field mice) Most of the time I can catch their victims, who are not usually harmed, and restore them to the bosom of their little murine families. But birds? They just don't do birds. I suppose they might have had about three young ones in the nearly four years they have been with me.
    Maybe your cats are the exception or maybe you live in an area with few birds, but just because they don't bring you dead birds doesn't mean they aren't killing them. Domestic cats that allowed to roam outdoors kill an estimated average of two animals per week (according to the Wildlife Society and the American Bird Conservancy). Feral cats kill far more.

Don't get me wrong - I like cats and would probably have one if I wasn't allergic to them, But letting any cat roam around outside where it is free to exercise its instinctive hunting abilities is irresponsible and environmentally unsound. Cats are predators and if allowed to, they will hunt and kill.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Cats are predators and if allowed to, they will hunt and kill.
    does this mean i won't need to feed the outside cats???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

If you don't feed them, they will feed themselves assuming there's enough small prey available.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

My cat is a rat killing machine.

She won't eat 'em, but hunting them makes her very hungry.

We are coming to the time of year where the field rats begin to have thoughts of a warm home for the Winter . . . She loves this time of year.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Maybe your cats are the exception or maybe you live in an area with few birds, but just because they don't bring you dead birds doesn't mean they aren't killing them.
    Wrong on all counts. None of the cats we had here have been great bird killers - I know because they are home bodies by nature, don't roam far and do bring in their prey, furry or feathered. And we have lots of birds, quite a few of which nest in the trees around the garden. You should hear the dawn chorus in spring.

They like to hunt sometimes, certainly, but with plenty of easy prey amongst the local mice, why bother with canny birds? Statistical averages are never a reliable way to predict or discern the behaviour of individuals.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

kill an estimated average
    All of the many stories on the dangers to birds from cats rely on that 'estimated' value. I live & have lived my entire life in rural America across a broad swath of east of the Mississippi.. and nearly always in the company of cats.. and they vastly prefer furry to feathery. Vastly.

Meanwhile, the true killers of birds have great PR. I speak of the pesticide & herbicide 'industry'. Rachel Carson warned us 60 some odd years ago.. but, PR.

bobby - tired of the b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    All of the many stories on the dangers to birds from cats rely on that 'estimated' value. I live & have lived my entire life in rural America across a broad swath of east of the Mississippi.. and nearly always in the company of cats.. and they vastly prefer furry to feathery. Vastly.

Meanwhile, the true killers of birds have great PR. I speak of the pesticide & herbicide 'industry'. Rachel Carson warned us 60 some odd years ago.. but, PR.

bobby - tired of the b.s.
    You speak sooth.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

its parts are on the table saw as we speak

meanwhike i’m trying to figure out how to feed two kittens outside without attracting every coon and ‘possum for five miles. . .
    A bread box shouldn't take any longer to build than a bathroom remodel.

In a month or two you won't have to worry about feeding them , they will freeze to death.

Did I ever tell about the time I came upon a mother cat with 3 kittens suckling? It was Massachusetts in January, just beyond the Oak tree out beyond our house. They were all curled together under some dried twigs, leaves and snow, frozen solid into one piece.
    I was about ten years old, and I can still see them today just as they were, Damn that still hurts.

The best and most reliable way to get cats out of the house permanently, is to get a dog that cannot be trained to tolerate cats or other small creatures. I truly know this........Our cats have not been inside the house since we got the Bunyip monster....Blue Healer.

I could use the same logic on you. lol
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I could use the same logic on you. lol
    You've been FEEDING him?

See... that's the problem. They never go away once you start feeding them <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    You can train cats, just like dogs.
    Yup. Django's great at 'high-five' and 'lie down'. He's never got 'fist-bump', though. I'll be teaching that to Josey the kitten.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Yup. Django's great at 'high-five' and 'lie down'. He's never got 'fist-bump', though. I'll be teaching that to Josey the kitten.

Andy
    Why does Scotland have to be so far away from here?

Peace,
    Robert

this is not an option with my current wife

I can see where you are going with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best mouser we ever had here was my daughter's pet lab rat. One day I passed by the rat's cage and noticed a mouse skull and piece of a tail. a mouse had tried to steal the rat's food and had become a midnight snack.
    I put 2 and 2 together and as the house was being over run with mice that year, I put the rat, named "Possum" into the cupboards. The next hour was marked with scurrying sounds, then mousy shrieks. At the end of an hour a fat and satisfied "Possum" emerged to be renamed "Tiger". No mice were seen from that point on.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead