Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romano Fenati puts the brakes on at 135 mph,

Default Romano Fenati puts the brakes on at 135 mph,

But it wasn't his bike ,

Has no one else seen this vid? , makes Serena Williams's bitchy little outburst , which incidentally was utterly unjustified, let alone all the bollix about sexist and racist behaviour, seem like a stupid little tantrum. The umpire judged on three seperate breaches of conduct in a totally correct manner. And she has a pitiable reaction. Just like J McEnroe at his finest. don't remember anyone calling that out as sexist and racist

Fenati is completely carrying the can. probabably never, ever race again, lost his job, his future contracts , advertising revenue. he's feckin lucky he hasn't been charged with attempted murder.

Serena you don't know you're alive
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Default Re: Romano Fenati puts the brakes on at 135 mph,

I don’t get the connection between Williams and Fenati.

OK its getting late... what I was implying was the bias in the media to two outrageous sporting misdemeanours... That is 'The Serena issue' has swamped the news for a day or two and the Fenati episode has barely got a mention. and to throw in a red herring, but you might see where I am going...

A retard dressed as a policeperson walks into an apartment and murders someone and there's pages of discussion about homicide manslaughter culpable this or that she's tired she's stressed, she's categorically proven she shouldn't be in possession of a firearm in whatever circumstances.
    Serena throws a tantrum and it gets more coverage than the above case. Someone dressed as a top tennis player behaves in a manner contrary to all the rules on three seperate occasions and then gets justifyibly penalised and the world howls racism and sexism.

so, Romano Fenati undeniably , it's on film , acts in a life threatening manner. Attempted murder? almost no news coverage. as I said above, he's shafted, but the point is the media bias.

well it was moto 2
    and serena is arguably the biggest star in tennis who fouled herself out a pretty big match
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

So if Louie Hamilton whips out the ol' equaliser and pops sebby Vettell between the eyes that's different cos it F1 'Hey you cut me up on the first curve'

for sure its different in the eyes of the media
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I did sort of lose the plot there for a mo.… probably my base motive was why hadn't anyone in the depths of the bilge picked up on this, or was it simply not reported mainstream. Not much misses the bilgees but this seems to have slipped through. Or maybe no-one's interested, but thats surprising seeing as how much is generated on any bike oriented post normally

Can’t rx to what we don’t see:
    https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/moto2-...6682--spt.html
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

your link just brings up a static press agency photo but if you go slightly less mainstream media you can see the whole twenty seconds. Euro links don't seem to bring up the same content as US A
    Maybe this is why no-one outside of yurp seems to have seen this horrrendous action. my point about media bias/ censorship/ we know best what our customers want to see/ wake up everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    your link just brings up a static press agency photo but if you go slightly less mainstream media you can see the whole twenty seconds. Euro links don't seem to bring up the same content as US A
    Maybe this is why no-one outside of yurp seems to have seen this horrrendous action. my point about media bias/ censorship/ we know best what our customers want to see/ wake up everyone.
    Can you link to the video?
    Tom

Well, it sure was not worth the google to find out who Fenati is as there is no connection, equivalency, or metaphoric relationship between the two, no wait let's add another so three incidents. An osprey perched on my main truck and deposited digested fish parts all over my deck. Maybe it's all connected somehow. And maybe sinister because there was no coverage of the osprey. I miss so much.

jonboy... did someone get a bit generous when pouring the port?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I know absolutely nothing about either of those things. I did see where, I think it was Serena's catsuit was banned recently.

Very unsportmanlike. He should be banished to riding the wet diesel covered roads of London on CG125 and suffer an eternity of using those drum brakes in an attempt to pull up the bike before it T-bones yet another black cab that has done a U-turn with no warning.....

It made the news here, a day or two ago. Back then they were saying he copped a two race ban, which seemed pretty light. IMO, the *hole should never be allowed to step foot on a racetrack again.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

I was watching it and before I heard anything about penalties, my comment was "should be a life ban". The official ban was two rounds of the championship on top of disqualification from the race. I've got no problem with him losing his current and future rides on top of that. What a goose.

Meanwhile - I can't for the life of me see the problems that supposedly exist with this

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I heard today that an aboriginal Australian woman won the doubles, and was also named sports person of the tournament, or something like that. Not reported at all by our media, it took a caller on talkback radio to bring it up. Just by way of context, aboriginal Australians are by and large horribly disadvantaged and suffer terrible discrimination. An aboriginal woman making a splash in top level international sport is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Well, it sure was not worth the google to find out who Fenati is as there is no connection, equivalency, or metaphoric relationship between the two, no wait let's add another so three incidents. An osprey perched on my main truck and deposited digested fish parts all over my deck. Maybe it's all connected somehow. And maybe sinister because there was no coverage of the osprey. I miss so much.
    there was a fly covered fish in the parking lot last weekend and a tall tree above it that an osprey hangs out in. Maybe they don’t like smashed fish?

The fake media did not report that.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I just googled Fenati, he shouldn't be allowed to race again. I still don't yet know what you are going on about concerning Serena.

We presume that Ian the Greater is not racist, therefore his remark and reposting a now infamous cartoon [#16] is an attempt at irony.

purely a comment on media coverage. one tantrum, days and days of coverage, accusation, recrimination, commentary., as if she has been unfairly persecuted. no doubt the umpire acted absolutely correctly and within his rights and obligations.

the other , (which incidentally I can't find a report of anywhere mainstream ...old news I guess). utterly reckless and life threatening but barely got a mention. the original vídeo and links have gone, or I get a message saying 'this content not available in your área/ on this device or somesuch.
    Sure its out there somewhere, youtube etc.….
    Fenati should have been charged with attempted murder. Or murder had the other guy crashed and died.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I heard today that an aboriginal Australian woman won the doubles, and was also named sports person of the tournament, or something like that. Not reported at all by our media, it took a caller on talkback radio to bring it up. Just by way of context, aboriginal Australians are by and large horribly disadvantaged and suffer terrible discrimination. An aboriginal woman making a splash in top level international sport is huge.
    I saw it get significant coverage the next day
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

We presume that Ian the Greater is not racist, therefore his remark and reposting a now infamous cartoon [#16] is an attempt at irony.
    Irony? Nah, her dummy spit deservdd the mockery it got. Nothing racist about it

It seems to be a truism that racists never think they are racist... even as they are donning their Klan gear, and lighting their torches. It's always 'justified'. Nothing bad would have happened if the 'other' hadn't provoked it.

'Yeah, these boys wouldn't have got theirselves hanged if they hadn't been ogling white women. Ol' Cletus said he saw one of 'em look at Ms. Peachblossom, the new schoolmarm'.

'Yeah, Serena deserved everything she got. She's such an entitled baby for pitching a fit like that'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Vid action starts about 50 secs in
    What made Romano Fenati lose his mind and get a hold to the brakes of Stefano Manzi in the middle of the race in Misano?The riders fought a battle for 12th place and Manzi’s aggressive riding wasn’t to the liking of Fenati, who accused his compatriot of ruining the race. Sanctioned by the forced absence of the next two GPs, Fenati has already commented on what happened and assured that he will not appeal the decision.
    In an interview with Movistar MotoGP, where he discusses what happened, the spanish broadcaster shows the two moments in which Fenati says he was injured on the track by Manzi:
    https://www.motorcyclesports.net/mot...se-his-temper/
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    well it was moto 2
    and serena is arguably the biggest star in tennis who fouled herself out a pretty big match
    She didn’t foul herself out. She got beat.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

If JoeSC sees this, he’ll back me up. That cat could NOT hang in push bike racing, especially on the track.

If you keep getting bit in the corner, ride your bike better, or use your shoulders to push in there. Whoever’s handlebar is in front gets it. Wrestling bikes is a prerequisite if you want to sprint for a win.

But, the instant your hand comes off the bar, you’ve proven you can’t hang.

Cheater, cheater, poor sport! Poor sport!

Now, it is true that we used to often grab a bit of someone’s rear brake on a push bike fun ride, especially just before or on a hill, but we would never have dreamt of pulling a front brake, and especially not as a last resort to try and pass a guy.

We also used to pull the seat post quick release on our buddies’ mountain bikes during climbs. Hahaha. THAT is funny.

Peace,
    Grabby Handsington

Tennis players, men and women, all races, are supporting Serena, noting that almost all coaches try to signal from the side lines and almost no one gets called, noting that many men are notoriously ill mannered and rarely collect a foul for foul language, and that no one gets as many drug tests per season as Williams. That judge was reasonable in exactly the same way as Jeff Sessions is reasonable when making immigration enforcement policy.

By way of grace note that the racist cartoon managed to ignore, after all that Williams addressed those who were booing the winner, noting that she won fair and square and deserved the win. That was a beautiful moment of righteous sporting spirit.

Serena is hot.

Tennis players, men and women, all races, are supporting Serena, noting that almost all coaches try to signal from the side lines and almost no one gets called, noting that many men are notoriously ill mannered and rarely collect a foul for foul language, and that no one gets as many drug tests per season as Williams. That judge was reasonable in exactly the same way as Jeff Sessions is reasonable when making immigration enforcement policy.

By way of grace note that the racist cartoon managed to ignore, after all that Williams addressed those who were booing the winner, noting that she won fair and square and deserved the win. That was a beautiful moment of righteous sporting spirit.
    Well, no.... Martina Navratilova, for one, isn't.

Perhaps a well known Australian indigenous woman, Jacinta Nampijinpa Price said it best:

The word racist has lost its meaning in our Twitter rage world and according to PC guidelines all but middle aged white males are exempt from any kind of criticisms. Meanwhile Naomi Osaka fought a history making win and yet her victory remains in the shadows of Williams temper tantrum.
    ... and this, from the Oz:

The storm of Twitter rage that erupted this week over Mark Knight’s caricature of Serena Williams spitting the dummy at the US Open is a study in the pathologies of social media and political correctness. It should be used as an opportunity to reflect on how these pathologies can be cured.

The cartoonist is innocent of any offence against decency. He drew a sporting superstar, who happens to be a powerfully built African-American woman, throwing a tantrum. She had been widely criticised for this well before his cartoon appeared.

Williams is black, she is a woman, she is big and she did throw a tantrum. Was Knight supposed to draw her as other than black, other than a woman, other than big? As he exclaimed amid a tsunami of angry tirades, “The world has just gone crazy.” Martina Navratilova’s rebuke of Williams’s inexcusable behaviour should be sufficient to satisfy any reasonable person. But Williams’s supporters cried foul, whipping up a frenzy.

The Australian’s Bill Leak, who died in March last year, was subjected to a similar barrage, at least domestically, over a well-known cartoon about bad behaviour. That was disturbing enough. This case should prompt a serious rethink about what is at stake here.

Three issues stand out: the importance of caricature and satire to good cartooning; the rules that ought to govern freedom of expression in general; and the hypersensitive subject of identity politics, not least as regards race and gender.

In Australia, we have been fortunate in our razor-witted cartoonists for decades. And the art of satire, of the deft lampoon, is absolutely crucial to it. One may go so far as to say that it is the defining feature of good cartoons. We need to push back against the censorious attacks on those who enrich our civic culture with their artful wit, because Twitter rage is a mob phenomenon that threatens to undermine it.

A month ago I attended the launch of a book by John Spooner, who for decades was right up there with Leak and Knight, Michael Leunig, Les Tanner and others as one of this country’s finest cartoonists. The book is called What the Hell was He Thinking? and the title seems eerily resonant right now. It was Knight who launched the book. He spoke beautifully about the art of cartooning, its challenges, and his memories of working with Spooner.

The book itself is a wonderful study in the art of cartooning, as Knight declared. It includes a magnificent selection of Spooner’s cartoons of the past 15 years or so, many of which would have irritated those who disagreed with him on one or another issue, but all of which exhibit — similar to the work of Knight, Leak and others — exceptional draftsmanship, sharp wit and deep humanity.

It cannot be too strongly emphasised that if we are to have or to sustain a culture of authentic freedom of expression, we need our cartoonists to keep raising pointed questions, puncturing inflated egos and amusing us in the most serious ways.

The problem with social media is that prairie fires of moral outrage and tribalistic sentiment keep sweeping through it. Too often, as in the present case, the atmosphere is reminiscent of the Cultural Revolution in Mao Zedong’s China, with mobs denouncing some supposed reactionary or bad element.

The irony is that our satirists are generally among our sanest and most dispassionate citizens. What social media too often lacks is the institutionalised corrective to angry or passionate intuition or opinion. Learning how to discriminate between these things and truth is Philosophy 101. We need philosophical bulwarks against politically-correct mob nuttiness.

We need to dampen down identity politics. Rejecting racism means that one’s ethnic background or skin colour becomes irrelevant to how one is judged, not the defence of first resort against being judged at all. Likewise with gender.

Prominent in the present uproar has been the National Association of Black Journalists in the US. That suggests solidarity on the basis of race and colour. That’s perhaps understandable, but it’s an obstacle to taking race off the table.

Japanese-American literary critic Michiko Kakutani, in The Death of Truth, and Nadine Strossen, the first female president of the American Civil Liberties Union, in Hate: Why We Should Resist It with Free Speech , Not Censorship, have each attempted to build philosophical bulwarks in this matter. We need their offerings as much as we need Knight’s cartoons.

Cartoons can be vicious and racist. John W. Dower’s War Without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War (1986) is an excellent case history. He shows how propaganda cartoons on both sides set out to dehumanise the other as subhuman, monstrous and predatory. There were nuances of difference between American and Japanese cartoons but, as he observes, “the racial thinking on both sides was virtually identical”.

Our common ground, surely, is that we do not want to see racist or otherwise abusive caricatures in the press but we do want freedom of expression and, above all, a sense of proportion. The Knight and Leak affairs are studies in the breakdown of these two things. Spooner’s book is a wry reflection on the attempt to sustain them. We should all seek to sustain them.

Paul Monk is the author of 10 books, of which the latest is Dictators and Dangerous Ideas: Uncensored Reflections in an Age of Turmoil (2018).

Racism is certainly part of what it's about --

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/umpi...201053841.html

The Times of Londonis reporting that professional tennis umpires have threatened to boycott officiating Serena Williams’ future matches after she accused sitting officiant Carlos Ramos of “stealing” her points in the US Open. One of the umpires’ bones of contention, supposedly, is that The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and United States Tennis Association (USTA) have backed Williams’ claims of sexism in Ramos’ docking the tennis star of two points, which may have cost her the final against Naomi Osaka.

And while it may seem at first glance like a cut-and-dried case of sexism, which Williams herself has implied, conversations about Williams’ treatment at the 2018 US Open have as much (or more) to do with the color of her skin.

BBC News set out to end the sexism debate early on Wednesday by aggregating data that seems to suggest that Williams’ treatment was not sexist — women playing the four 2018 tennis Grand Slams had slightly fewer deductions, on average, than their male counterparts. But race was not taken into account in this calculus. It should have been.

Williams, like Arthur Ashe and other Black tennis players before her, has endured an uphill battle by virtue of simply playing a sport which was segregated for centuries and considered a white nobleman’s game. In fact, there have only been 28 Black men and 35 Black women to play tennis at an elite level, ever.

While Williams’ star rose, so did racist attacks against her. She’s been booed. She’s been called the N-word. She and her sister, Venus were called “The Williams Brothers” because of their powerful physiques and prowess on the court, and more. All along, Serena has been the target of messaging that she isn’t welcome in the sport she dominates. We cannot ignore the role of racism.

What Williams said to Ramos at the US Open, “thief,” was innocuous compared to what many of her white counterparts have said to him and other umpires in the past. She didn’t threaten, and she didn’t curse. But the argument is not about whether what she said was or wasn’t right: it’s about the repercussions she incurred, which included a $17,000 fine in addition to the two-point deduction.
    Videos of white tennis players berating umpires, smashing multiple rackets, threatening officials, and even hitting umpires with balls can easily be found online. There doesn’t seem to be any instance of mass-boycott to result from those players’ actions.

Consider the privilege of white tennis players like John McEnroe (who sides with Williams), whose abhorrent on-court behavior became an almost beloved signature in professional tennis. Compare that with the experience of Williams, arguably the best living tennis player on earth, who in 2018 must still face racist cartoons that depict her physique and features styled in the way Black people were drawn during the height of the Jim Crow era.

Depictions of Osaka after her defeat of Williams also reinforce anti-Black stereotypes. Though Osaka is both Japanese and Haitian, is very obviously biracial, and grew up in Florida, she tends to be described simply as “Japanese.” In the high-profile, racist cartoon that emerged after the US Open, Osaka wasn’t even depicted at all — a nondescript blonde player was drawn in her place. Erasing Osaka’s own Blackness serves to further isolate Williams as an aggressive outlier in her sport, and advances the racist trope of the violent, angry Black woman.

With the umpires threatening to boycott Williams’ future games, they are saying that although most (if not all) professional tennis players have had similar outbursts on the court, it’s particularly the outbursts of the greatest tennis player of all time — a Blackwoman — that are so damaging to their profession.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Serena Williams Cartoon ‘Not About Race,’ Artist Says. Experts Strongly Disagree.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/w...ype=collection
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

What a load of bollocks

Here's some of his caricatures of Oz pollies

Meanwhile..... It looks like Romano Fenati is going to charged with attempted murder….