Thread: What's my dory?

Default What's my dory?

I recently acquired, what I believe to be, a Swampscott dory. I've also been told it may be a Beachcomber Alpha. It's a beautiful little craft but I'm trying to get some history on her. Her most unusual feature is the transom. While the boat is lapstrake construction, the transom is make up of eight pieces (see photo). Has anyone seen this type of transom? Does it give any clues to the vintage, region, designer, or anything else? Please help me get some history on this latest addition to my fleet. And yes, I know the boat is on the trailer backwards! It a long and ugly tale that needn't be repeated.

IMG_20180827_125633.jpgIMG_20180827_125918.jpgIMG_20180824_120738.jpgIMG_20180824_120704.jpgIMG_20180824_140539.jpg

Default Re: What's my dory?

Without detailed measurements I sure can't tell. Both come in various lengths but Swampscotts are usually 18' or under while Beachcomber Alphas are more like 21'.

I personally like the leg o'mutton sail better than the gaff on these boats but again, you see these and other rigs. The only conformity is if there's a fleet racing each other and even then New England eccentricity can prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Without detailed measurements I sure can't tell. Both come in various lengths but Swampscotts are usually 18' or under while Beachcomber Alphas are more like 21'.

I personally like the leg o'mutton sail better than the gaff on these boats but again, you see these and other rigs. The only conformity is if there's a fleet racing each other and even then New England eccentricity can prevail.
    So far ask I know is that she's 16' LOD. I just opened John Gardner's The Dory Book in hopes of finding some clues.

Great boat, welcome aboard! I own a Swampscott too. I agree that is an unusual transom, one or two pieces would be more common. Perhaps it is a repair, or the builder was innovative. Good luck with her, keep us posted.

I would be concerned about that rudder. If you hit something with the rudder blade, it might push the the rudder up and the pintles out of the gudgens.

I plan on converting the rudder to a kick-up style. I want to do some cruising and camping so I'll need the ability to beach her easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I would be concerned about that rudder. If you hit something with the rudder blade, it might push the the rudder up and the pintles out of the gudgens.
    I think that pop-up effect is supposed to be a feature, not a bug. But heartily agree that a kickup rudder with a keeper (clip or catch to keep it on the gudgeons) is much superior!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.