Default Re: Law on knives

I'm very sorry,Robert.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    I'm very sorry,Robert.
    R
    Its just nice to remember these are actually people, not just points to argue over.

But, thank you kindly. Only one was a murder, so there is that. All handguns, too, to be fair.

Not at all the lifetime, either. I, and several of my friends, have been stabbed and survived. One has died from a stab wound. I only have one friend who survived being shot.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Law on knives

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Nope, not even close.

In real life the gun is successful about two times out of a hundred, IMO.

I've had encounters with a knife-wielding person more than once, and it is completely terrifying.

Jeff C

I get that. First of all, only a crazed/ drugged person is coming at you from a distance screaming and with the knife out and raised. That gives the victim so much time to react. Most would walk right next to you before pulling it; maybe ask you for a light or the time...

I just wanted to show that a knife can be durn deadly, and, even against a gun, the matter is not automatically settled. That the choice of weapon can be less deadly factor than the willingness to use the weapon.

Sorry you had to endure those attacks.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yeah, there's that whole 21' or 30' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

I just wanted to show that a knife can be durn deadly, and, even against a gun, the matter is not automatically settled.
    So guns don't actually work all that well for self defence after all?

If they are poor when used for self defence, but proven to be effective when used for attack, wouldn't it seem to follow that they increase the risk of harm?
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

there's no 'seems' about it chris

a gun in the home increases the chance of being killed or injured by a larger factor than a gun will be successfully used to defend one's self or family
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

So guns don't actually work all that well for self defence after all?
    I did not state that, Chris. You might want to re-read my post. In that post, I described two very specific scenarios( more specific and simplistic than most real-life scenarios, but presented for example) and pointed out how in one version--as the video shows--a gun can be effective for defense, but in a different scenario--as a described-- it might not be effective.

But, my point wasn't to make a case either for, or against guns as a defense against attack. My point was to show that those seeking to do harm will probably find a way regardless of what is at hand and that the choice of weapon is less important to the crime being committed than the wilingnes of the person to commit the crime in the first place.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    If I lived amongst that many idiots with guns I guess I'd be afraid too.
    https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/09...-age-of-trump/

Not only must Americans be entertained, but their entertainments must be suffused with violence, real or imagined. Americans demand their technicolor explosions and car crashes, their arsenal-depleting shoot outs, for we love our realism and there is nothing so real to Americans as violence, particularly when it is fake and nothing so fake as real violence (just ask Alex Jones) the more graphicly murderous the better.

This rings a lot of bells with me. America seems to be a very violent society - in its culture, mythology, history, penchant for warfare, reification of the military and even language. One thing that always strikes me - Machismo in most countries I visit is based on sex. American machismo is based on violence. And in the inexhaustible diet of violence in American films etc. And it's caught in a vicious circle of fear because there is quite a lot of reason to be fearful - especially if you are black.

In the light of American history, the fact that many people still live in remote and isolated communities, the widespread passion for hunting etc.(the French have that too) this is to some extent understandable. But it's running wild. You just have to see the photos of people shopping in the supermarket with some kind of assault rifle over there shoulders..... It's described in the article above as "a metastasizing cancer" Witness the violent hysteria of the likes of the late, unlamented "Tex". Can it ever be cured?
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I did not state that, Chris. You might want to re-read my post. In that post, I described two very specific scenarios( more specific and simplistic than most real-life scenarios, but presented for example) and pointed out how in one version--as the video shows--a gun can be effective for defense, but in a different scenario--as a described-- it might not be effective.

But, my point wasn't to make a case either for, or against guns as a defense against attack. My point was to show that those seeking to do harm will probably find a way regardless of what is at hand and that the choice of weapon is less important to the crime being committed than the wilingnes of the person to commit the crime in the first place.

Kevin
    Just so.

and there is this
    The same year{1938}, the Home Secretary ruled that self-defence was no longer a suitable reason for applying for a firearm certificate and directed police to refuse such applications on the grounds that "firearms cannot be regarded as a suitable means of protection and may be a source of danger".[83]
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Anybody know more than three people shot to death with pistols this summer, or am I the winner with that number?

Peace,
    Robert
    Yeah, you're the winner, in a competition no one wants to win. I hope that's extraordinary in your country, it's pretty well unthinkable here.