Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Law on knives

Default Re: Law on knives

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Don't forget the Scots, I've got a good sized bade and the sheath has a set containing a dinner untensiIs.
    I have a full blown sword hanging up in my conservatory. At the time my husband was an officer in the Royal Navy, the sword was part of his dress uniform. And it's a proper, rather elegantly decorated sword. As far as I know, he didn't kill anyone with it and so far nobody has come to drag me away to jail for having it in my possession. Maybe they think an old gal like me is pretty harmless. Or perhaps it's just a matter of time......
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I have a full blown sword hanging up in my conservatory. At the time my husband was an officer in the Royal Navy, the sword was part of his dress uniform. And it's a proper, rather elegantly decorated sword. As far as I know, he didn't kill anyone with it and so far nobody has come to drag me away to jail for having it in my possession. Maybe they think an old gal like me is pretty harmless. Or perhaps it's just a matter of time......
    Just don't chase the next unsolicited visitor down the high street screaming and waving hubby's sword and you should be fine.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Just don't chase the next unsolicited visitor down the high street screaming and waving hubby's sword and you should be fine.
    Sometimes I am tempted - but discretion is the better part of valour.....It certainly has more style than the rounders bat my father kept by the bed in case of unwelcome nocturnal visitors.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

I have protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Gun v Knife

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I have protection.
    You don a pair of fake boobs?

You don a pair of fake boobs?
    Even with fake boobs I wouldn't be that good looking! LOL
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Can you still carry a Bowie knife strapped to your waist?
    Maybe a Broadsword, or a Cutlass? You couldn't be a proper British sailor without a cutlass...

How many stabbings with a sword each year? They must have records for that sort of thing.
    SB 1159 removes dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife and sword cane from the items prohibited from carry in Oklahoma, and finishes the job Knife Rights began last year with the repeal of the ban on carrying switchblade (automatic) knives and with the passage of Knife Law Preemption inOklahoma.Jan 29, 2016
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Never bring a knife to a gun fight, unless you are damn good.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby of Tulsa View Post
    SB 1159 removes dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife and sword cane from the items prohibited from carry in Oklahoma, and finishes the job Knife Rights began last year with the repeal of the ban on carrying switchblade (automatic) knives and with the passage of Knife Law Preemption inOklahoma.Jan 29, 2016
    Why is the US of A so obsessed with owning and carrying lethal weapons?

Anyone?

Anyone?
    I have no idea. Seen all the lethal stuff I ever want to see.

Anyone?
    fear

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    fear
    You can get therapy for that.

Seriously though, why are you all cacking it?

not me, I can’t speak for them all. I buy pasta and sauce when I’m afraid.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-11-2018 at 04:47 PM.

You seem to be afraid of each others..... creating outsider who are more or less outlawed and then being afraid of them.... not a sound base for building society!
    You seem to be busy arming for an all out war on one another all while you let Putin catch your entire nation with your trousers down not only once but twice.......

Please please PLEASE pull yourself toghether and take care of less fortunate fellow Americans so we all can stand united against Putin instead!
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Interesting question. Myself, I've never fired a gun in my life; never even held one, in fact. I was too young (barely) for the Vietnam war draft, I'm not interested in hunting, and I've never felt the slightest need to have one for 'protection'.

I have a tentative hypothesis; it's only a part of the USA. Most of the enthusiasm for guns comes from the 'red' parts of the country. This means rural areas, and geographically the mountain west and the ex-Confederacy. Rural areas and the west makes some sense; more isolated and dispersed population, a hunting tradition, much closer to frontier times. For quite a long time the south had a large subject population that had to be kept in check by force - and if you think that ended in 1865, think again. History sometimes gives a long-lasting hangover.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Why is everyone obsessed with rifles?

Knives kill more people than rifles.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-12

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Interesting question. Myself, I've never fired a gun in my life; never even held one, in fact. I was too young (barely) for the Vietnam war draft, I'm not interested in hunting, and I've never felt the slightest need to have one for 'protection'.

I have a tentative hypothesis; it's only a part of the USA. Most of the enthusiasm for guns comes from the 'red' parts of the country. This means rural areas, and geographically the mountain west and the ex-Confederacy. Rural areas and the west makes some sense; more isolated and dispersed population, a hunting tradition, much closer to frontier times. For quite a long time the south had a large subject population that had to be kept in check by force - and if you think that ended in 1865, think again. History sometimes gives a long-lasting hangover.
    There should be no problem with long guns for hunting. But then there is the penis extension carried when shopping in a town Walmart, and the campaign BoT quoted to allow carrying flick knives and sword sticks.
    So your comment, although valid in areas where folk hunt for the pot does not address the rest of the nations obsession with weapons designed to kill people.

There should be no problem with long guns for hunting. But then there is the penis extension carried when shopping in a town Walmart, and the campaign BoT quoted to allow carrying flick knives and sword sticks.
    So your comment, although valid in areas where folk hunt for the pot does not address the rest of the nations obsession with weapons designed to kill people.

“You really do post crap at times, please remember to engage brain before operating typing finger.”

what is the central theme of the myth of all that is america? the pioneer and the cowboy
    further to that myth is that the american cowboy is similar to the knights of king arthur's round table - taming an untamed land, taming beasts, taming indians - the cowboy always has a gun, the cowboy in american mythology has been elevated to the level of mythical knight in shining armor, the sidearm and rifle of the cowboy are as the shield and sword of the knight

sadly, the cowboy's horse has become a pickup, but that's another story. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^ don't believe that? read this: "The Significance of the Frontier in American History" is an essay by the American historian Frederick Jackson Turner, written in 1894.

That essay became the first chapter, not preface, but chapter of The Frontier in American History, published in 1921.

you can read that essay here if you'd like: link

wonder what our gun loving, city folk looking down upon member from arkansas would say about it, it being written by a new york educated dandy, founding historian at the university of chicago when he wrote it

Oh, I quite agree. But I'd say an equally important factor was the fear of slave rebellions before 1865, particularly after the Haitian revolution in the 1790s scared the bejesus out of white southerners, and the desire to keep the black population subjugated after the end of Reconstruction.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

i should note, the comparison of the cowboy to the knight is the glamorized literary cowboy to the glamorized literary knight; not the historical cowboy to the historical knight - its also specifically to the glamorized english knight*

probably because most americans didn't and don't speak french or german or dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what is the central theme of the myth of all that is america? the pioneer and the cowboy
    further to that myth is that the american cowboy is similar to the knights of king arthur's round table - taming an untamed land, taming beasts, taming indians - the cowboy always has a gun, the cowboy in american mythology has been elevated to the level of mythical knight in shining armor, the sidearm and rifle of the cowboy are as the shield and sword of the knight

sadly, the cowboy's horse has become a pickup, but that's another story. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ^ don't believe that? read this: "The Significance of the Frontier in American History" is an essay by the American historian Frederick Jackson Turner, written in 1894.

That essay became the first chapter, not preface, but chapter of The Frontier in American History, published in 1921.

you can read that essay here if you'd like: link

wonder what our gun loving, city folk looking down upon member from arkansas would say about it, it being written by a new york educated dandy, founding historian at the university of chicago when he wrote it
    Oh, I quite agree. But I'd say an equally important factor was the fear of slave rebellions before 1865, particularly after the Haitian revolution in the 1790s scared the bejesus out of white southerners, and the desire to keep the black population subjugated after the end of Reconstruction.
    Sounds as though as a nation you all need to grow up. Try to drag yourselves into the 20th century at least.

Remember: A knight in shining armor has never had his metal tested.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

plenty of the cowboy myth and legend takes place in a world where the cowboy hero (the white man) is on top of the chinese, mexicans and blacks because he knows how to use a gun. He may, or may not, use violence to enforce this racial order but it's clear our hero is tops because of his skill with firearms. I'm thinking of some of the Max Brand novels, I'm sure there are others.

as for why the fascination with firearms? They are cheap, they require little psychical exertion, you need not have much skill to pull the trigger (but shooting well is a skill that can be learned), and you can babble endlessly about them in a pseudo-scientific BS way that pleases people.

Sounds as though as a nation you all need to grow up. Try to drag yourselves into the 20th century at least.
    the problem therein is that half the nation is apathetic to progress
    of the remaining half, half of them hold political views antithetical to progress
    so that leaves 25%. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-11-2018 at 04:39 PM.

If I lived amongst that many idiots with guns I guess I'd be afraid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    If I lived amongst that many idiots with guns I guess I'd be afraid too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i don't live in fear
    i gotta gun

The fear would be dealing with the repercussions of using said gun...

i was being facetious, farcical even

Here is one site
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42749089
    DIY if you wish more.
    And what does your source show? It shows about 240 knife murders per annum in the UK, compared to 1604 in the USA. So on a per capita rate, the UK has a 75% lower rate of knife murders. However, on a per capita rate the USA has about 25 times as many gun murders as the UK* and therefore a much, much higher murder rate overall.

So when both populations have access to the same weapon, there's a moderate difference in murder rates. But once you allow one population easy access to guns, the murder rate skyrockets. Arguably, therefore, the main difference between the countries isn't so much the rate at which they'd like to kill each other, but the rate at which they get easy access to an efficient way to do it. So your stat can be seen as good evidence that gun control works very well to reduce murder rates.

* Sources vary widely, so I chose a figure that shows the low end of US gun homicide estimates.
    Last edited by Chris249; 09-11-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Gun v Knife

Kevin
    Nope, not even close.

In real life the gun is successful about two times out of a hundred, IMO.

I've had encounters with a knife-wielding person more than once, and it is completely terrifying.

Jeff C

Anybody know more than three people shot to death with pistols this summer, or am I the winner with that number?

Peace,
    Robert