Thread: Peapod construction questions?

Question Peapod construction questions?

I'm contemplating building the sailing version of Doug Hyans 13'00" "Beach Pea" peapod the winter. This boat will either sit on a trailer or a dinghy dock. The plans call for glued lapstrake construction. I have previously built several boats including a 15'00" glued lapstrake(okuome) Ducktrap Wherry.
    I'm contemplating building with a couple of other materials and construction methods than using glued lapstrake, okuome plywood. I was recently given a gift of ten or twelve flitches of rough sawn, clear grain, full 1" thick Atlantic White Cedar. My first question is: Could I substitute 3/8" - 1/2" thick cedar for the okuome and still build with glued lapstrake or would the planking crack? I don't remember reading anywhere about using solid stock instead of okuome plywood for glued lapstrake construction.
    My second question or option would be to cut the cedar into 1/4"+ thick strips and build the peapod with bead and cove construction, then epoxy glass the outside and the interior of the hull. I have previously built a 16'00" Adirondack Guide Boat with this method.
    If I did build with either method, would ribs be needed? Thank you in advance for your answers!
    " Be all that you can be"

Default Re: Peapod construction questions?

Some for hire motor launches on Windermere were both clinker nailed and glued. Probably done to avoid the need to take up at the start of the season. No issue with split planks, especially split lands along the nails.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

But did they have ribs Nick?

I built this one glued lap with no ribs, but the planks were glassed inside and out and it has side decks and a couple of the thwarts are fastened in.

rowboat 134.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    But did they have ribs Nick?

I built this one glued lap with no ribs, but the planks were glassed inside and out and it has side decks and a couple of the thwarts are fastened in.

rowboat 134.jpg
    Yes, everything as per usual practice plus glue in the laps. I think that the ribs are necessary to prevent splitting in the plank. Which the glass helps to do on your boat.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Across the grain, plywood is much stronger and stiffer than solid stock, especially a soft wood like cedar, so a structural material across the boat is needed.
    Traditional lapstrake construction, with ribs, supplies this, as does the glass in strip composite construction.
    In ether case, the details of contruction will be makedly different than the Beach Pea's.
    If you want to use the cedar, get some other plans.

In case I didn't make it clear, glassing both sides of the planks will go a long way towards preventing splitting. The right weight of glass will make the board as stiff and stable as plywood. Adding stffening to the hull itself, for instance breast hooks, side decks or inner and outer rails with spacers between the inner rail and the planking and hard mounted thwarts will make it even better.

I knew an Acorn 11 built with 4mm wrc strips. Moulds spaced further apart so boat was 5m. Did not need frames.