Thread: I think somebody should have tried one of these before selling them

Default I think somebody should have tried one of these before selling them

I was looking for a couple of router cutters and got to this page after a few hops https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Craftsman...RixZ9J4PnSblCA .If this cutter is really for use in forming beads,I believe there is an inherent problem with the concept.Anybody else agree?

Default Re: I think somebody should have tried one of these before selling them

Yep, this inspires confidence
    Note:
    This item is made Without antirust processment, some item will have little rust mark, this is normal, do not worry,it does not effect its function.
    Please allow 0-3mm errors due to manual measurement.
    Due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item.
    Due to the wet weather and storage conditions, there may be a few rust stains and scratches on the surface of the product,but does not affect the use effect, this does not belong to the quality problem,Thanks for your understanding!
    Good for carving a row of peas, should you need to.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Funny, the seller has no clue what he is selling.

Lol!

Obviously made in China. Sad. We used to make stuff here. Years ago I sent an email to Stanley and asked if they still made anything at all in the US and the reply was that all of their products, ALL, were made off shore. All those good jobs and quality items gone to increase the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Obviously made in China. Sad. We used to make stuff here. Years ago I sent an email to Stanley and asked if they still made anything at all in the US and the reply was that all of their products, ALL, were made off shore. All those good jobs and quality items gone to increase the bottom line.
    In contrast, one of my customers (in Georgia, VT) makes reamers. They supply all of the US-made reamers that MSC sells (& many others sell as well). The "offshore" reamers they sell used to be made in China, but now they are selling ones made in Winooski (VT, for those who don't know) instead of the Chinese ones.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

. . . . gone to increase the bottom line.
    Often enough, the retail price is/was also substantially lower -- a benefit to those buying the merchandise.

I got a kick out of "This kind of knife should be used with machine. Carved wooden carving stone carving must have the cutting tools, good use of sharp, this product is pure hand made."

I haven't the slightest idea how these bits would work, unless you wanted a bunch of recessed dimples.

They could be used for forming the beads in ornate mouldings. "Bead and Reel" is an element in a lot of built up crown moulding.
    But, the ad is laughable and they are probably crap....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nolan View Post
    Often enough, the retail price is/was also substantially lower -- a benefit to those buying the merchandise.
    Sadly, the lower price does not guarantee quality. I bought a Stanley paint scraper that would not hold an edge. The metal was crap The tool was crap. The lower price? Crap.

I was involved in electric lawnmower design and we had some products made offshore. The samples would not pass the 200 hours life test. We asked the supplier to send proof of his testing. We were rather surprised to receive a video of lawnmowers being towed around the carpark behind bikes. The motors had never been run and they clearly had no idea of the function of a lawnmower.

I believe some of you have reached the same conclusion that I did in that the cutters in question would make raised dimples at best.

I was wondering if you could mount one in a block of wood like a plane and make a bead that way, but I'll bet they would not hold an edge for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nolan View Post

Not if it doesn't actually do the job it promises to do. In Europe, it couldn't be sole, the implied "fitness for use" warranty would prevent its sale.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I believe some of you have reached the same conclusion that I did in that the cutters in question would make raised dimples at best.
    Maybe on a drill press. Holding them steady would be tricky, they'd want to wander all over the shop.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

This is one of the more blatant cases of tools that aren't even intended to do their job. However it is just the most extreme symptom of a widespread disease. Reality is that at least half the tools in a present day hardware store aren't quite made to the standards required to do their job.

I cannot see the customer benefiting in any way from a tool being cheap if is is too badly made and too carelessly designed to do it's job. It is pointless. Utterly pointless. They say I should buy cheap chineese tools because then I can afford to have all the tools I wish and replace them when they get broken but what's the point if they don't do their job. I rather have a few good tools that last several lifetimes and are versatile enough do do most required task than a two car garage full of tools and machines that barely work.

Personally I found no other way of putting together a functional set of tools and machinery on a budget than buying quality stuff secondhand and repairing it and even making some tools from scratch. I have spent a lot of time on it and have had to learn many new skills but that's the only feasible way because the cheap chineese imports just don't do their job. Almost every time I have made a shortcut and bough chineese it has been wasted money. The sole exception being a bunch of Chineese screwdrivers...... but that was just one batch. The next batch they sold was useless.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

I have used a number of Chinese tools during my current boat build such as generator (my shed is off grid), bench grinder, drill press, table saw, etc etc. Yes all this stuff is pretty low quality and pretty much stuffed after building just one boat, but it got the job done (with the help of loudly spoken persuasive language). No problem with cheap stuff as such, just frustrated with the complete unavailability of quality tools when I want to invest in decent hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    raised dimples? pimples?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

THREAD DRIFT WARNING: My shop is filled with tools minted a generation or more ago, when quality was still available. Now when I need to add or replace a tool I haunt estate sales and usually come up with something decent. Our local antique mall has a couple of vendors who specialize in old tools and the prices are usually fair. The only exception to old tools are my battery powered ones. So far they have held up pretty good and I would not want to be without them. I switched to lithium batteries and enjoy the longevity.

The only exception to old tools. . .
    come on now, there's some decent modern tools out there, at a variety of price points

• hand planes from lee valley and lie nielsen
    • a wide variety of quality western and japanese handsaws
    • other than the hallowed porter cable surf board power planer, there really aint no comparison in grunt, quality, ergonomics, price, convenience, accuracy and safety of most handheld power tools these days compared to tools just a couple of decades ago
    • shop equipment is definitely safer than its ever been, and at the higher price points easier to use and more accurate and capable of finer quality than ever before

you can even get a modern version of that vintage planer http://accuratewaterman.com/

main difference is if you like looking for used tools you can find vintage stuff dirt cheap in places of the country. Need a 26" handsaw? Boxes of Disston's of all points in the midwest <$5 each. #5, #4 or adjustable mouth block plane? tons of stanleys or clones floating around cheap.

As to the OP - they might not have ever been intended for use. They came up with a product to match what keywords people search for.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 09-11-2018 at 02:45 PM.

I'd have thought one of those bits in a router would cut a nice square channel. The central hollow gives a route for the sawdust to escape. I think the seller has just picked up a load of old stock, and he's not really sure what it is. But as a router bit I don't see a problem with its functionality.

Phil if you were the salesman these things would probably go like hot cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'd have thought one of those bits in a router would cut a nice square channel. The central hollow gives a route for the sawdust to escape. I think the seller has just picked up a load of old stock, and he's not really sure what it is. But as a router bit I don't see a problem with its functionality.
    In a router, with that length? That shaft would never fit in a router unless you cut all but an inch or so off. They appear to have no practical function as they are.

You are right, I didnt look closely. Would they fit in a dremel?

Hand planes from Lee Valley or Lie Neilsen cost serious money. Good tools always have. Tools where you have to save up for and think hard about buying. I know that goes against the Walmart mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Hand planes from Lee Valley or Lie Neilsen cost serious money. Good tools always have. Tools where you have to save up for and think hard about buying. I know that goes against the Walmart mentality.
    what'd you reckon a stanley #4 sweetheart cost new in 1920?

can't find a 1920 stanley catalog, but a 1914 catalog says $2.50 for a 604 stanley plane, $2.20 for a plain #4. CPI calculator says $2.50 in 194 would be $63.04 today. Rockler was selling off some of the crap Stanley SWs for far less than that recently, so it must be right.

an ivory zig-zag rule sold for about that much, a disston #7 @ 26" about half that.
    Last edited by Hugh Conway; 09-16-2018 at 09:28 PM.

In '71 I paid $12.95 for Stanley #4.I still have the plane in it's box and the price is on the box. At my age my memory isn't as good as it once was. This was a discount price, not retail, for the Canadian made plane. It was in Stanley's blue phase, painted hardwood and no frog adjustment screw. A Lee Valley is a much superior plane. As a apprentice carpenter I was making $2.80 an hour. When I retired in 2014, journeymen were making 12x that.