Thread: Oh oh, the boat is rotten.

Default Oh oh, the boat is rotten.

So this is my first project. The engine didnt started (outboard mercury 50hp 1966) so i started qirh that first. It took a day, but it now works pretty damn good!

Then i stripped everything from the boat, since i knew there had patches of fiber glass dans that the boat was leaking. So i flip the boat, abd that happended : lots of rotten wood.

i'm going do have to work a lot.

any tips on where to start, any trips in general? I'm was going to make a copy on the tail part, remplace it, keep the parts pnf the frame that and still good(the 3 pieces are) and reinforce them (sandwich style) - i would start qith that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Oh oh, the boat is rotten.

Is there something special about this boat that makes you want to save It, some deep family connection?
    If not, youre better off walking away now and buying or building another.
    Rebuilding that boat will take a lot of time and money and when you're done you won't have much of a boat.

Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. I'd not say that we who plunge ahead heedless of the adverse consequences on our finances and social relationships are irrational addicts to a drug (wooden boats) more addictive, more socially and personally destructive than cocaine.

Let us just say that we have higher values.

But even with that there comes a time to pause. If the photos are the only such damage, maybe there might be a reason to save this boat on some terms. If she were an historically interesting boat, it could be worth a real restoration to classic standards. If, as from the pix, she's a fairly common boat, and if what we see is the only real problem (incredibly unlikely but to proceed with the hypothesis) then it might be worth using some wood, epoxy, and glass to make her work for a few years.

I have my doubts. 50HP is a lot of motor for a smallish boat. You want a proper structure to be both light enough and strong enough to take the banging about.

To give better advice other than "Wooh" we need more pix and more details. Is that unpainted plywood we see a sole (inside deck) recently added or what? Is the bottom plywood? How many frames, stringers, and chine logs appear rotten?

G'luck

I can't comment on the repairs but I think I'm going to have this engraved on a plaque and mounted somewhere prominent where I can be reminded of it on a daily basis...

Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. I'd not say that we who plunge ahead heedless of the adverse consequences on our finances and social relationships are irrational addicts to a drug (wooden boats) more addictive, more socially and personally destructive than cocaine.

Let us just say that we have higher values.

I am assuming that this was a recent purchase? Also that the price was reasonable? And that the motor is worth saving since you got it running? Now might be a time to cut your losses and think about using the good motor on a better hull. Letting go is not easy but something to think about.

Walk away. Use that motor you repaired to power another, " classic," boat ( easily, cheaply found if you look). By the time you rebuild that one you will have built a whole new boat.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sometimes there is equal satisfaction and enjoyment in a rebuilding process. How about letting the OP comment on what he would like to do and then direct him from there.

sure the boat is rebuildable, we would need more information and pictures before any reasonable comments could be made.

It would make a great garden fixture filled with compost, soil and flowers. Let it bring you joy in another way while you follow the advise of
    the first poster to answer, "willin woodworks".
    Jay

Just seems to me that if your going to put money and labor into a project it should be worth something when you're done. Which means start with something that is worthy.

I try to post 3 times already, keep bugging, so this is going to be quixk. I have time, and i enjoy doing it, im doing it with my father (construction engineer) and my neighboor / mentor (woodworker + lot of skiils haha). I myself has a construction company so we have tohe tools and amillset to restaure the boat. And its pretty fun to do haha. 2FAEEDC5-E4D7-457C-899D-46551660AAE5.jpg77081448-63F4-41C8-A105-E0725D287FAE.jpg

The frame is mahogany and oak, the hull seems to either bc cedar or vanish mahogany. It was painted and repaired with fiberglass and a gelcoat.

There a varnished plywoord floor that seems to have been added in few year ago. As you can see with the first pictures, its not varnish on the other side. The frame structure that you see in the first picture is still workable. Since its mohagamy, the top has blacked but maybe 1/4 inch only. Its still super solid, except maybe the last 2 foots that are faillibg in pieces (therefor the idea of sandwichibg them).

Basically, i need to remplace the transom (i think its the right word) where the moteur is fixed - i'm getting startd on that this week), reinforce the structure (sandwiching?) and well, remplace the plywood thats i have removed.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I can't comment on the repairs but I think I'm going to have this engraved on a plaque and mounted somewhere prominent where I can be reminded of it on a daily basis...
    You can always count on Ian. His personality is not only Pungent... but frequently Pithy.

For the OP...

I have restored several boats that were probably in worse condition than yours. But only because of the sentimental value to the client. "It was grand-dad's boat, and I used to help him paint it every Spring"... and suchlike. Otherwise... I'd start fresh, or find another used boat in better shape.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

OK, there are good reasons for repairing.

A general thought: Don't sandwich bad wood between good wood. Replace. Scarfing dimensional lumber is very easy. 8:1 on frames to clean up the ends is fine. Given your commercial background, you might at first look to a power tool approach to making the bevel. Be open to a sharp slick for making bevels in place.

Keep us informed and take many pix.

G'luck

Thx! Ill give it a try nothing good comes from not trying! Worse case : I learn.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Is all that black rot or paint?
    You gotta cut all that out. I'd try and take out all of the members whole and use them as a template for some nice new douglas fir replacements.
    Is that a fiberglass bottom you cut out of it? or ply covers in glass. That'd be not too hard to replace. Keep the cut outs for templates!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Rot mostly. Theres a piece on top of the frame total'y rotten, but under, the frame os still viable. Its plywood cover with fiverglass (reparation) and a gelcoat (the rest of the hull). I kept the cut out, indeed.

I would have used the current boat as a template to take measurements from and build a new hull. Then use the old hull as a nice garden planter.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.