Thread: Boat dolly for 15 ft. rowboat

Default Boat dolly for 15 ft. rowboat

Anybody with a good design for a good and simple boat dolly? I have an Phoenix III, 15 ft., weight less than 100 kg. To be used for launching in sea water.

Default Re: Boat dolly for 15 ft. rowboat

Rather than a dolly, I like these wheels. They ride in an aluminum channel that's permanently bolted to the transom and are held in position by two fastpins each. In moments they can be flipped up, as shown here, down for rolling on the beach, or taken right off. Each side being just a square aluminum post with a wheel at one end, they are easily stowed if you don't like them sticking up. They make two sizes. The smaller size does not roll well except on pavement.

Because they are at the stern, they take about half the weight. If you can handle about 50 KG (110#) this could work. But that's a fair load so if you come and go from the same spot, a light trailer might do you better.

If you're not going too far over the beach, you might use three or so cylindrical fenders of pneumatic rollers and do it Egyptian style. I used to roll my gunning dory a good hundred yards or so over Oregon ocean beach without too much inconvenience. I had made a two wheel dolly that was easily gotten under the boat and rolled well, but I did not like carrying it in the boat and given the dynamic beach and all the public access did not like just leaving the dolly behind.

G'luck

Is there a photo?

Linder boat dolly.jpgI have found this - max load 150 kg; made of aluminium....

2x4
    two replacement lawn mower wheels
    two lag bolts

Handled my 140 lb June Bug with no problem.
    Last edited by graystork44; 09-07-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: new information

How soft is the ground? You'd want some wider/taller tires if covering mushy sand is part of the plan.

I'd copy the designs the clubs use for launching FJs, etc. PVC can be used to make this sort of dolly.

-Dave

Gravel ground - not too soft. The dolly in the photo looks like one from dynamicdollies.

Here's a pic of my rig with wheels up for rowing.

I made one from scrap bike wheels, threaded rod and lumber cutoff. Rod secured to 2x with u-bolts. Two sections of 4 x fastened to 2 x to create a slot for the skeg and a rest for the hull bottom. Some scrap carpet. Wheels are held on with washers and double nuts.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 6.34.10 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-09-07 at 6.33.36 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-09-07 at 6.34.24 PM.jpg

There is a web strap affixed to each end of the 4 x. I bukcle these together to hold the boat from sliding forward if the wheels slow down if I am traversing sand. On harder surfaces--grass, dirt, a dock or road, there is no need to tie the boat down.

My daughter, "helped," me build it--and the boat.

Kevin

EDIT: For the base, I used a section of stair tread ripped to a convenient width. It already had a groove in which the rod could run. Viewing the pics sparked my memory.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I tote a 10' sailing dink and 15' Gheenoe on a home made dolly like Breakaway has. I mounted short wood bunks to set the hull on. Very similar to the smaller ones I made for 16' kayaks. The most difficult part of using this type is keeping the boat straight on the dolly...wheel snags a bump and goes one way and boat another but you can place the boats for best fore/aft balance. One of my other dinks (8' Walker Bay poly boat) has a plastic wheel built into the aft end of the skeg. I didn't think much of it at first but its proven to work pretty well...11 yrs now.

I picked up a 3 wheel folding child's pram from a council collect pile. Inflatable wheels around 25 cms, A bit of disassembly and a touch of welding and a few bits from the junk pile was all that was needed to make a steerable undercart with a draw bar for one of my Sailfish.
    Could easily be towed by a bicycle though the 4m mast would be a problem.